Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read a couple of reviews on the E-trac. They seem good and the additions to the detector should work well. My question is? Has any read or know whether the E-trac addresses the Explorers main problem, recovery time and swing speed? I did not see anything mentioned. If the E-trac has a faster recovery time and you can swing faster, I for one will eventually get one. Does anyone know?

Ed D.

OP
OP
Born2Dtect

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Jeff

Wow! Is that enough to say? A grown man should not drool at a video of a new detector like I did. What can I sell to get some money? I feel a little like a crack or meth addict right now. I hope I can wait until Christmas to get one.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can swing an Explorer XS or II or SE fast in clean ground, I do it all the time. In iron you should slow down ... will be the same thing with the E-trac. There's no detector that you can run through iron an not miss targets. Some detectors recover quick to separate targets, others like the Explorer do well at ID'ing good targets mixed with bad, both can be effective in the right hands but what you have to do in iron for both types of units is RE-CHECK signal after signal to determine if it's diggable. Too many people make the mistake thinking you need a super fast recovering detector when the real error they make is walking through iron the same way as they do in clean ground. Hunting iron is about working out the tough targets ... the easy ones are just that, easy. (There isn't much to really say about those.)

Anyone who thinks there is a problem with the Explorer recovery speed simply does not adapt their swing to the conditions. If that's not true all my Explorers must have been special or maybe I'm just a special kind of digger. :icon_jokercolor: Anyway what I'm saying is it works for me! :thumbsup:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
You can swing an Explorer XS or II or SE fast in clean ground, I do it all the time. In iron you should slow down ... will be the same thing with the E-trac. There's no detector that you can run through iron an not miss targets. Some detectors recover quick to separate targets, others like the Explorer do well at ID'ing good targets mixed with bad, both can be effective in the right hands but what you have to do in iron for both types of units is RE-CHECK signal after signal to determine if it's diggable. Too many people make the mistake thinking you need a super fast recovering detector when the real error they make is walking through iron the same way as they do in clean ground. Hunting iron is about working out the tough targets ... the easy ones are just that, easy. (There isn't much to really say about those.)

Anyone who thinks there is a problem with the Explorer recovery speed simply does not adapt their swing to the conditions. If that's not true all my Explorers must have been special or maybe I'm just a special kind of digger. :icon_jokercolor: Anyway what I'm saying is it works for me! :thumbsup:

Listen to him on this one. I swing at a pretty good clip in clean ground and the explorer will correctly ID coins down to about 10" with the PRO coil attached. And then I hit iron ground and the swing speed slows to a crawl. Just barely moving and listening for something to pop out of the null (when in conductive).

I've NEVER understood where people say the Explorer is a slow swing detector. Sure, you can't go golfing with it like you can a White's, but with the weight of it it honestly feels like it would break at one of the cam locks anyways at that sweep speed.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
Iron Patch said:

Listen to him on this one. I swing at a pretty good clip in clean ground and the explorer will correctly ID coins down to about 10" with the PRO coil attached. And then I hit iron ground and the swing speed slows to a crawl. Just barely moving and listening for something to pop out of the null (when in conductive).

I've NEVER understood where people say the Explorer is a slow swing detector. Sure, you can't go golfing with it like you can a White's, but with the weight of it it honestly feels like it would break at one of the cam locks anyways at that sweep speed.

I have one friend who almost gets airbourne and he comes up with as much stuff as the next guy. No question he misses targets but when someone is having decent success ain't no way they're going to change much.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Let me say that I have had many detectors over the years and Minelab has done great on this one. It is easy to swing much more comfortable than the Explorer. Fast sees through Iron and trash. Was hunting with mine in a heavy Iron area yesterday and took of the pro coil and stuck on the old 800 i had on my explorer and thought god I hope mine lab comes out with a new 8" coil soon this D@M thing is heavy. Much mor than the new 11" pro coil. My DFX and F75 have not left the closet since I traded my Explorer in on the Etrack. It is much more stable and just a joy to hunt with for me. Use to cuss the weight of the old explorer little better on the SE. Now I am digging my Etrack and do not plan on looking back. Have heard roumors of a new Whites that may just be sweet too. THANKS MINELAB YOU GOT THIS ONE RIGHT.

Jason

OP
OP
Born2Dtect

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problems with the comments here. I still feel less than happy with my EXP II's performance with recovery and discrimination. I did the exact same test as in the video link Jeff provided. Tried discriminating the coins mode, jewelry mode, and just iron at different levels. My EXP II just does not recover quickly nor return from a null like the new E-Trac appeared to do. I would like to hunt a little faster and cover a little more ground. I guess as I get older and slower this may not be a problem. By the way I am a Techy, I have a wide screen HD TV, the largest picture tube at the time made by Sony. The only thing keeping me from upgrading to a plasma TV is $$$. Those baby's are expensive.

I think about it this way, I got the EXP II a little over 2 years ago, Had I waited I would have gotten the SE Pro only to see the E-Trac follow, in 6 months? Now that would really upset me.

Ed D.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born2Dtect said:
No problems with the comments here. I still feel less than happy with my EXP II's performance with recovery and discrimination. I did the exact same test as in the video link Jeff provided. Tried discriminating the coins mode, jewelry mode, and just iron at different levels. My EXP II just does not recover quickly nor return from a null like the new E-Trac appeared to do. I would like to hunt a little faster and cover a little more ground. I guess as I get older and slower this may not be a problem. By the way I am a Techy, I have a wide screen HD TV, the largest picture tube at the time made by Sony. The only thing keeping me from upgrading to a plasma TV is $$$. Those baby's are expensive.

I think about it this way, I got the EXP II a little over 2 years ago, Had I waited I would have gotten the SE Pro only to see the E-Trac follow, in 6 months? Now that would really upset me.

Ed D.

But did you set it up just on the fringe of wanting to accept the nails? If you don't do the test exactly the same way, and use the lowest possible disc., it will probably not work the same. The detector in that test is not recovering from a nail to the coin, it's seeing them as one and being able to sound off as a diggable target. It's hype, and borderline BS ... someone prove me wrong.

PS... I've been meaning to take some rusty nails home and play around but I never see the things. ;D

OP
OP
Born2Dtect

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get more time I will dig into this one further. Hopefully I can discriminate through it and recover some better information.

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread