Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Iron Patch said:
I'll stick with my Span-Trac :D

Same here..........it definately looks nice, but it seems to me it's just a user interface improvement mostly. As much focus and attention as they put on the information from the numbers and smartscreen, in real world detecting, we know not to trust those. It's all about sound.

XT18000

May 26, 2008
Auh don't you mean SPAND DEX there IRON MAN? ha-ha-ha-ha

I agree; to much fluff that can go wrong
and not in the area's that need to be worked on!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely heavier to even lift. The user interface to connect to a computer does not get any coins out of the ground. Also think about how many times you had a computer problem for one reason or another. Do you need to add more stress to a relaxing hobby? :D

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Im kinda pissed I just bought an SE and less then a month later they come out with a new version. I kinda like that screen on the new one too. I dont really care for the depth guage on the SE. Ofcorse what do I know...... I havent even figured out the SE completely and its already old. Not that that matters. I almost want to call and complain......Tell them I woudnt have shelled out the cash If I would have known a new version is right around the corner. They would probably just laugh at me..........

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Here's a little excerpt from a reply I got back from a Minelab dealer when I asked him why in the heck did ML market the SE Pro if they knew that they were going to begin marketing the E-Trac so soon. The SE Pro is an SE with the newer coil....

About the SE, SE pro and E-trac...

when the original SE came out, there were many complaints about the stock coil. Prior to the fairly recent change in how Minelab was run, it was just kind of ignored, figuring people will figure out how to use the machine to the best of their, or the coil's ability.

The plans for the E-Trac included the 11" coil that now comes with the 'Pro, so that coil was in the works and done before the E-TRAC was ready to be released. Meanwhile, as ML USA had a changeover, the new guard was considering the ongoing complaints about the standard SE coil. After it became apparent that the E-TRAC debut was going to be delayed by about 4 months, they decided to change their SE offering, thus creating the SE Pro, with the much better coil. They also offered the coil for sale to SE owners, and many have already taken advantage of that opportunity. It is obvious that, unless you are very label conscious, it would be unnecessary for an original SE owner to buy the new 'Pro.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Here's a little excerpt from a reply I got back from a Minelab dealer when I asked him why in the heck did ML market the SE Pro if they knew that they were going to begin marketing the E-Trac so soon. The SE Pro is an SE with the newer coil....

About the SE, SE pro and E-trac...

when the original SE came out, there were many complaints about the stock coil. Prior to the fairly recent change in how Minelab was run, it was just kind of ignored, figuring people will figure out how to use the machine to the best of their, or the coil's ability.

The plans for the E-Trac included the 11" coil that now comes with the 'Pro, so that coil was in the works and done before the E-TRAC was ready to be released. Meanwhile, as ML USA had a changeover, the new guard was considering the ongoing complaints about the standard SE coil. After it became apparent that the E-TRAC debut was going to be delayed by about 4 months, they decided to change their SE offering, thus creating the SE Pro, with the much better coil. They also offered the coil for sale to SE owners, and many have already taken advantage of that opportunity. It is obvious that, unless you are very label conscious, it would be unnecessary for an original SE owner to buy the new 'Pro.

Sounds pretty simple to me, release the SE pro so they don't have to admit the slimline sucked and keep people from asking for a free replacement. Adding pro to the name made an upgrade available and cost them no money.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
That reply from Minelab doesn't really explain away the short time gap between when everyone thought the SE Pro was the new TOP MODEL coin hunter. When a detector gets released, nobody would have expected a newer model so soon thereafter. The ones who got screwed were the ones like me who bought the SE Pro as their first introduction to the Explorer line.

Oh well.. what are you going to do. They have a business to run and this is a hobby, what do we expect?

The E-TRAC does look like it's shaping up to be a really great detector though. See my post here for more details on why you should want one:
http://minelabowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19653

That's not to say Explorers are extinct... obviously we are finding stuff. But it just seems like a new window in the ground has opened up with the E-TRAC. Why would you not want to look through this window at what's waiting out there for you?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RootMaster said:
That's not to say Explorers are extinct... obviously we are finding stuff. But it just seems like a new window in the ground has opened up with the E-TRAC. Why would you not want to look through this window at what's waiting out there for you?

Because I feel the window I am currently looking through is providing the same view.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
RootMaster said:

Because I feel the window I am currently looking through is providing the same view.

Obviously we have to wait just a little bit longer until the REAL user reviews start coming in. I'll keep an open mind, but for now like you my wallet is closed.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
RootMaster said:
That reply from Minelab doesn't really explain away the short time gap between when everyone thought the SE Pro was the new TOP MODEL coin hunter. When a detector gets released, nobody would have expected a newer model so soon thereafter. The ones who got screwed were the ones like me who bought the SE Pro as their first introduction to the Explorer line.

Oh well.. what are you going to do. They have a business to run and this is a hobby, what do we expect?

The E-TRAC does look like it's shaping up to be a really great detector though. See my post here for more details on why you should want one:

i have heard no claims from Minelab or anyone else for that matter that the E-Track has better depth than any other Explorer. the main differances seem to be with user friendliness, weight, and some added flexibilty (changes to the sensitivity controls). i wouldnt worry about getting an SE instead of an E-Track if i were you. you are looking through the "same window" so to speak. :wink:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RootMaster said:
Iron Patch said:
RootMaster said:

Obviously we have to wait just a little bit longer until the REAL user reviews start coming in. I'll keep an open mind, but for now like you my wallet is closed.

To me user reviews mean very little because we are all so different and I think too many people want to believe their new purchase is better than it really is. For all I know the equipment they were using before could have had a problem and they just doesn't know, and that probably happens more then we realize. I've used this thing for about 7 years now and some of the problems I've had I know someone fairly new would not catch on to.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
hollowpointred said:
i have heard no claims from Minelab or anyone else for that matter that the E-Track has better depth than any other Explorer. the main differances seem to be with user friendliness, weight, and some added flexibilty (changes to the sensitivity controls). i wouldnt worry about getting an SE instead of an E-Track if i were you. you are looking through the "same window" so to speak. :wink:

I read some user review comments that said they dug a quarter at 16"... which to me sounded crazy given the same coil. However on the MLO forums there is a user that compared it to the SE Pro and said it got an inch more of depth.

Please don't mistake my "window" philosophy for fact and truth... it's just me being optimistic for the moment. We still gotta wait and see what people think.

Iron Patch said:
To me user reviews mean very little because we are all so different and I think too many people want to believe their new purchase is better than it really is. For all I know the equipment they were using before could have had a problem and they just doesn't know, and that probably happens more then we realize. I've used this thing for about 7 years now and some of the problems I've had I know someone fairly new would not catch on to.

The only way you will be convinced then is if you try one. If the majority of the user reviews say it's way better than the SE Pro, that's good enough for me to give it a shot.

Really what we need is an independent user review of the SE Pro vs. E-TRAC side-by-side. That would help to settle it... it will be far from over for a lot of people that have to "see for themselves" though.

That said, I think we can all agree that metal detecting is mostly operator skill more than it is metal detector technology.

:icon_sunny:
-Rooty

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main problem with most of these opinions saying this coil is better, or this detector is better, is taking it to their 'pounded site'. When I test something, for example the Sunray 12" when it came out, I took both it and the stock 10" in the field to switch on certain signals with the same settings. I started with the 12" and got just enough of a sound to know something was there, switched to the stock and it hit it much better. Was a small lead pellet and a real test for what I need in a detector/coil. The 12" was sold later that day. If i was going to test the E-trac against my XS it would go head to head on a deep target in clean ground, and a very masked small target in iron. If they split I'd keep both, if one was to win both then that would be my main unit. I never rule out trying something new if I feel it has a chance to be better but Minelab has been playing this game for many years and people still keep falling for it and spending their money.

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
RootMaster said:

Yeah, I was one of those guys, got my SE Pro just a short while ago. I already emailed them in Vegas and told them I dont like the way they release there detectors, without any notice. I would have waited just to have the latest technology but Sandman makes a good point about taking away from the relaxing aspect of the hobby.
Explorers were top dog a month ago and they arent any worse now even if this Etrac is better.

As far as the slimline coils go, I had one on another SE I had and loved it but the warranty ran out so I picked up the SE Pro and sold off the older SE. Mine ran smooth and deep and was a definite improvement over the older 1050FBS coils that came on the prior explorers. I think most seemed to complain you couldnt run the sens as high as the older coils, which is true, but if its getting the same depth or better what would that matter. You should always adjust the detector as necessary anyways and not get into a setting that you never change. The beaches I hunt can change from day to day, this morning they were loaded with black sand(north winds) and I had to keep the sens a bit lower.

The Explorer is a bit of overkill anyways isnt it, how many adjustments do you really need for top performance :icon_scratch:
My Sov does just about as good, put the adjustable iron mask on the Sov, take out the speaker and put the minelab meter there, and my Explorer would be goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :thumbsup:

I got this ring at just about a foot down earlier this year with an Explorer SE with the slimline coil.

HH
Neil

Attachments

• 14kring.JPG
    14kring.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 2,658

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Sandman said:
It is definitely heavier to even lift. The user interface to connect to a computer does not get any coins out of the ground. Also think about how many times you had a computer problem for one reason or another. Do you need to add more stress to a relaxing hobby? :D
Not only that but think of the down time. My excal has been at the shop for over 3 weeks and they tell me that they won't even have a chance to look at it for at least 2 more weeks. They have 2 techs to fix all the detectors for Canada, US and South America.Last week there were 186 detectors to be fixed before they looked at mine. Just wait till all the bugs start showing up in these new units. Am I knocking Minelab-YOU BET I AM but I still buy their detectors. It is just that I have to have 2 EX2's and 3 Excals to keep me up and running . BTW I also have a New Garrett Infinium LS that is in the shop for the second time in 2 months.... >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread