Im Sick of the Explorer

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Re: I'm Sick of the Explorer

Early XSs commonly developed cracks around the retaining lever pin. Check this first.

The XS also used a hard black plastic clamp under the lever. These sometimes also cracked. Call Minelab and ask for one from a Explorer II, Quattro, or SE. These are made from a softer red rubber that grips the shaft better.

You can try putting a layer of thin layer of packing tape or painting the shaft. This makes the shaft diameter larger and the clamp will hold better.

You can take the XS shaft put the clamp down and cut the top end off at a 45 degree angle like the II, Quattro, or SE. This allows the shaft to slide about 1" extra into the control housing. It will feel stronger, less flex and will not work out as easily.

My two cents worth.

Jeff

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Jeff In North Georgia said:
Early XSs commonly developed cracks around the retaining lever pin. Check this first.

The XS also used a hard black plastic clamp under the lever. These sometimes also cracked. Call Minelab and ask for one from a Explorer II, Quattro, or SE. These are made from a softer red rubber that grips the shaft better.

You can try putting a layer of thin layer of packing tape or painting the shaft. This makes the shaft diameter larger and the clamp will hold better.

You can take the XS shaft put the clamp down and cut the top end off at a 45 degree angle like the II, Quattro, or SE. This allows the shaft to slide about 1" extra into the control housing. It will feel stronger, less flex and will not work out as easily.

My two cents worth.

Jeff

Thanks a lot Jeff :thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Well ...MB ... if it was me i would get rid of it right away............................For if have to make adjustments or fix something on a detector ................I don't think we should have to do that unless we like to do that and if i liked to do that i would buy a kit and build one........................But no thank you.....................==Jim==

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

yup, that was a common problem with the early XS. they have better cam locks now. maybe minelab can hook you up.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

hollowpointred said:
yup, that was a common problem with the early XS. they have better cam locks now. maybe minelab can hook you up.

I wonder if it's something I could do myself?

I'll have to contact Minelab. I'd also like to get the tall man shaft.

Even if I have to glue the sucker I'm keeping this unit till I know once and for all time if the Explorer is really as good as some claim.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Gibbsium said:
The mods in this link sure look extreme . Maybe some of the pictures could give you a few ideas to help with your problem.

http://metaldetectingworld.com/06_eq_metaldetector_p1.shtml

Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

Man, I hope Minelab saw that site.

I plan to get on the phone with them soon and talk new shaft arrangement.

But, the shim idea someone PMed to me sounds good so that will be 1st.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread