E trac or F75

dieharddigger

Dec 1, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/E-Trac
Kellyco has a super deal on right now. Buy a detector and get another for 1.00 I was looking at the Fisher F75,but I also like the E trac. My 1.00 choice would be the Cobra beach magnet. I live on the shore's of lake Michigan and I don't detect the beach much,but there are some inland lakes I would like to try. Any input on these detectors would be appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

txbluesman

Sep 10, 2006
Get the E-Trac and tell Kellyco to keep the Cobra and throw in Andy Sabisch's new book in for the dollar. These two items are all you will need to find the goodies. Over the last six years I have gone from the White's MXT to Whites DFX to Minelab SE and finally to the Minelab ETrac. By far this is the best detector I have ever used. The key to this detector is to sweep slow (but you will learn this plus more with Andy's book) Since purchasing the ETrac, I'm averaging 1.3 silver coins per hunt which is pretty good in my neck of the woods.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help you with the expensive machines you have mentioned but I can tell you that own a cobra beach magnet. I thought it was going to be a pure piece of junk when I got it but believe it or not, I love it at the beach. It handles the water in fine style but it is a bit heavy. If you are in the water that doesn't matter but on the dry sand it does get a bit tiring. If you get it, you will have to make a minor adjustment on the way the coil attaches to the shaft. I went to lowes and picked up another plastic bolt with two plastic washers and I was able to tighten the coil like it should be. Also, the cobra look was a bit cheesy looking so I took them off..lol Btw, it goes deep..no discrimination to speak of but at the beach I dig all signals anyway.

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have to agree the comments by the other two guys. The Etrac is the best detector I have ever used hands down!

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
I'm thinking about getting an Etrac - and I've used and really like the F75. Does the Etrac get better depth? How does recovery speed rate with F75? I love to hunt very old sites for deep relics and coins - so depth is important. I've never used a Minelab - is going for the Etrac - overkill? I do have 12 years detecting under my belt . .

Thanks, Ian

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I'd say E-Trac..............but honestly, I still contend that the Explorer series with the new coils will also get the job done costing less. I own the XS and II, and before buying an E-Trac, I would simply by a pro-coil. Yes.......I may very well be the manufactorers customer from hell.....but that is just me. Show me something really new and then I might bite.

go-rebels

Feb 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
(ex-) Whites 5900, Silver Eagle, XLT
(ex-) ML Sovereign, Explorer XS, II, Etrac
(ex-) Garrett Ace 250
(ex-) Fisher F75
Fisher F75LTD
Fisher cZ-3D cert. by Tom D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the Etrac and F75 and chose the F75. I like to hunt by tones and the Etrac had me digging up too much iron that falsed with high notes. I'm by no means an expert with the F75 but I feel that it is the lightest and quickest machine out there. You'll cover twice the space with the F75 and the F75 with their small elliptical coil is great in trash. As far as recovery speed, there is no comparison between the two.

I had an Explorer XS years ago, and I needed to move really slow with that machine. If the E-trac is twice as fast, it will still be twice as slow as the F75. The Fisher bombards you with information, and, in reality, your brain cannot process as fast as the E75 can output.

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How long did you hunt with the Etrac before you decided to put it down and go with the F75? I assume you are not a relic hunter since you do not like to dig iron, is that correct? I am a relic hunter, but at times I run my discrimination hot to avoid nails and small iron at some homesites. I have never had my Etrac bleed iron over when I set the discrimination to avoid it. Yes, if you are voiding out nails and just nails then some big iron will leak through, but only temporary.

I have hunted with the Minelab Explorer XS and II for years and compared to the Etrac they are slow. My Etrac is very fast when I choose to hunt fast, but I perfer to go over ground a little slower and this only makes the Etrac hotter. I have been out with other hunter who use Tesoro's, Nauti's, Fishers and White's and they have never done as good or better than my Etrac. Only the Nauti 2ba has gone deeper than my deepest target to date with the Etrac and that is 18" measured and witnessed by a few other guys with other machines. Besides my Etrac, the only machine I have seen in the field that would hang in the same ballpark with my Etrac is a White's MXT. Not for it's great depth, but for its sole power to find them dang buttons. That MXT is hot on the buttons! I do not mean to say the F75 is not a good machine, but I think you gave up to soon on the Etrac. Also every F75 I have ran into in the feild, it seems like it can not hold up to the demands of a tough relic hunt. Lots of complaints on the construction from the guys I know who have them. The Etrac is built well! My 10 cents and opinions only. thanks!

Wes

go-rebels said:
I tried the Etrac and F75 and chose the F75. I like to hunt by tones and the Etrac had me digging up too much iron that falsed with high notes. I'm by no means an expert with the F75 but I feel that it is the lightest and quickest machine out there. You'll cover twice the space with the F75 and the F75 with their small elliptical coil is great in trash. As far as recovery speed, there is no comparison between the two.

I had an Explorer XS years ago, and I needed to move really slow with that machine. If the E-trac is twice as fast, it will still be twice as slow as the F75. The Fisher bombards you with information, and, in reality, your brain cannot process as fast as the E75 can output.

go-rebels

Feb 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
(ex-) Garrett Ace 250
(ex-) Fisher F75
Fisher F75LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the Etrac on and off for a day with a dealer making adjustments to null out iron, which he was never able to completely do. I suspect that he was not an expert, but I would not think that an expert would be needed to find the correct setting to mask iron.

No doubt, the Minelab's are the "Lexus" of metal detectors. The Etrac felt much better balanced than the Explorer's of old. And the faster recovery can only be a big improvement.

The Fisher F75 weighs in at only 3.5 pounds, therefore it's easy to compare it to the less expensive units sold today and make the connection that light = cheap. Fisher made a big design error early in the production where some of the battery springs were too short and the contact to the batteries was intermittent. Fisher repaired many units to correct this problem at no cost to the owner.

I don't believe that either unit is deeper than the other. It would be great to see a side to side comparison in a well planted test bed.

In the end, this is how I see it:

Etrac Advantages:
- Better build quality expecially in the mechanical design
- Quiet operation
- Cable within rod = better design
- Better discrimination of Bottle Caps
- Better differentiation between copper pennies and both clad and silver coins
- Better shielding from Electro-Magnetic interference

F75 Advantages:
- Lighter and better balanced
- Four AA batteries run forever
- Hot on nickels
- Faster Recovery (still)
- Better discrimination of small iron and nails
- Slightly better pinpoint
- Easier layout of menu options - Best design I've seen for a high end detector
- Easier to read LCD display
- Giant font for target ID (great for aging eyes)
- Save $500 new or used
- Built in the USA

Just my 2-cents!

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOL! Very good debate Rebels.

go-rebels said:
I used the Etrac on and off for a day with a dealer making adjustments to null out iron, which he was never able to completely do. I suspect that he was not an expert, but I would not think that an expert would be needed to find the correct setting to mask iron.

No doubt, the Minelab's are the "Lexus" of metal detectors. The Etrac felt much better balanced than the Explorer's of old. And the faster recovery can only be a big improvement.

The Fisher F75 weighs in at only 3.5 pounds, therefore it's easy to compare it to the less expensive units sold today and make the connection that light = cheap. Fisher made a big design error early in the production where some of the battery springs were too short and the contact to the batteries was intermittent. Fisher repaired many units to correct this problem at no cost to the owner.

I don't believe that either unit is deeper than the other. It would be great to see a side to side comparison in a well planted test bed.

In the end, this is how I see it:

Etrac Advantages:
- Better build quality expecially in the mechanical design
- Quiet operation
- Cable within rod = better design
- Better discrimination of Bottle Caps
- Better differentiation between copper pennies and both clad and silver coins
- Better shielding from Electro-Magnetic interference

F75 Advantages:
- Lighter and better balanced
- Four AA batteries run forever
- Hot on nickels
- Faster Recovery (still)
- Better discrimination of small iron and nails
- Slightly better pinpoint
- Easier layout of menu options - Best design I've seen for a high end detector
- Easier to read LCD display
- Giant font for target ID (great for aging eyes)
- Save $500 new or used
- Built in the USA

Just my 2-cents!

go-rebels

Feb 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
(ex-) Garrett Ace 250
(ex-) Fisher F75
Fisher F75LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born2Dtect said:
The
F-75 is not in the same league if you compare finds and capabilities.

Ed D.

Have you tried both units side by side?

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
The Etrac must be unstoppable then if it outclasses the F75 - b/c my F75 is tremendous. I've never used an Etrac - can't wait to get my hands on one.

Ian

go-rebels

Feb 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
(ex-) Garrett Ace 250
(ex-) Fisher F75
Fisher F75LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I'll make the following unsupported statement:

"The E-trac is not in the same league as the F-75 if you compare finds and capabilities."

Go-rebels.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I have had both and now own just the E-Trac. The 75 was a good detector light fast but very unstable at times. The thing that turned me off the most about the Fisher is the Charge to fix the first detectors that were bad. We have a problem with moisture send us your defective detector and $$$ and we will fix it for you. Come on never have seen this from any of the top brand detector companies.

Will the fisher find the goodies Yep. But I will stick with my E-Track for now.

go-rebels

Feb 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
(ex-) Garrett Ace 250
(ex-) Fisher F75
Fisher F75LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I totally agree. If I had one of the early units, and had quality problems that prevented the unit from maintaining stability, I'd be pissed if I had to ship it back to the factory (at my cost) and pay them to fix it (their design problem) and pay for the shipping back. I understand that nearly all the early stability issues were caused by poorly sealed coils.

I purchased my F-75 used after it was sent back to the factory for a "re-furbishment" by the original owner. By that time Fisher suspended the practice of charging customers and did the work for free. In fact, they changed out the coil, the display and the battery holder. Other than the rods, the unit was returned brand new.

Still, the Fisher can be easily setup to be non-stable. There is so much potential gain in the circuitry that if the user is not careful, he/she can put the detector in an unstable condition. But once some experience is gained with the F-75, it's easy to dial in a deep, stable setting.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go-rebels said:
Yes, I totally agree. If I had one of the early units, and had quality problems that prevented the unit from maintaining stability, I'd be pissed if I had to ship it back to the factory (at my cost) and pay them to fix it (their design problem) and pay for the shipping back. I understand that nearly all the early stability issues were caused by poorly sealed coils.

I purchased my F-75 used after it was sent back to the factory for a "re-furbishment" by the original owner. By that time Fisher suspended the practice of charging customers and did the work for free. In fact, they changed out the coil, the display and the battery holder. Other than the rods, the unit was returned brand new.

Still, the Fisher can be easily setup to be non-stable. There is so much potential gain in the circuitry that if the user is not careful, he/she can put the detector in an unstable condition. But once some experience is gained with the F-75, it's easy to dial in a deep, stable setting.

Here are some of my thoughts about the F-75. It can be very unstable at times, but most of the time, it's caused by the operator setting different settings. The F-75 remembers everything and because of this can become very unstable. I was out hunting the other day with my F-75 and as soon as I turned it on, it was making all kinds of noises. I turned it off, pushed the trigger forward and pushed the red button at the same time I turned the detector back on. That fixed all the noise. I hunted around 3 hours with no problems. People must reset their detectors from time to time.

Also while hunting in really hot soil, I always run my detector in all metal. It must be ground balanced constantly. All detectors that hunt in hot soil should be able to be ground balanced. If not your going to miss a lot of good targets. In Virginia, in very hot, hot soil, in all metal, it's best to dig every target. If your not digging square nails, most of the time, your not digging bullets or buttons.

As an older guy, 62, I like the F-75 because it is light weight. I have 7 other detectors and this is my choice detector for the hot Virginia soil. I also use a SunRay probe on it.

I saw lots of SE's in Virginia being used with much success, but my F-75 was finding just as much as they were.

Just some of my thoughts. Good Luck with whatever detector you choose.

HH, Ringfinder

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In my opinion, I would rather spend my time hunting and not messing around with my detector every 2-3 hours ground balancing....get the Etrac and all your problems will be solved. I will agree with the weight issue...the F75 is lighter, but the Etrac is also lighter than the previous modles from Minelab. Good debate gentleman!

Wes

ringfinder said:
go-rebels said:

Here are some of my thoughts about the F-75. It can be very unstable at times, but most of the time, it's caused by the operator setting different settings. The F-75 remembers everything and because of this can become very unstable. I was out hunting the other day with my F-75 and as soon as I turned it on, it was making all kinds of noises. I turned it off, pushed the trigger forward and pushed the red button at the same time I turned the detector back on. That fixed all the noise. I hunted around 3 hours with no problems. People must reset their detectors from time to time.

Also while hunting in really hot soil, I always run my detector in all metal. It must be ground balanced constantly. All detectors that hunt in hot soil should be able to be ground balanced. If not your going to miss a lot of good targets. In Virginia, in very hot, hot soil, in all metal, it's best to dig every target. If your not digging square nails, most of the time, your not digging bullets or buttons.

As an older guy, 62, I like the F-75 because it is light weight. I have 7 other detectors and this is my choice detector for the hot Virginia soil. I also use a SunRay probe on it.

I saw lots of SE's in Virginia being used with much success, but my F-75 was finding just as much as they were.

Just some of my thoughts. Good Luck with whatever detector you choose.

HH, Ringfinder

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
I own both the E-trac and the F-75.

The F-75 I use if I am looking for relics in open fields. It excells in covering large areas fast. It is so light and it never needs batteries...almost.

But the F-75 has to be babied quite a bit. I am always adjusting something on it to make it stable. I am always adjusting it for better depth. The F-75 is a fast machine but it sometimes is not a fun machine to work with. It can be very jumpy and unstable in the numbers. It is sometimes so fast as to be not able to be used in the really trashy areas. A smaller coil often does not help. The F-75 needs to be swung fast to make it work well. Problem with that is swinging fast often brings several targets too soon to be ID'ed even with sound. Don't get me wrong. I love my F-75. Even though it is light, trying to concentrate on all the sounds it is making makes me tired. But put it in an open field and look out!

The E-trac is my all around go to machine. It is stable as a brick. It has excellent ID characteristics. I love the sounds of the E-trac makes when it hits silver. It is faster than my previous Explorer and is better at separation in trashy areas. I am getting so good with the E-trac that I can correctly call what is under it almost every time. It is a great turn on and go machine. Smooth as silk. Slower yes. But I am getting better depth with the E-trac than any other machine including the F-75. The E-trac for me is the best machine I've ever used in my 27 years of detecting. I love it for parks and trashy areas.

But I'd still get an F-75 also. It is a great machine. Get both if you can. Or get the E-trac and then find enough stuff to pay for the F-75. Or vice versa.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread