E-Trac
Tesoro,Bandido II uMax,Silver uMax,Silver Sabre uMax
Tesoro,Eldorado small plastic box.
Compadre 8" coil ,Compadre 5.75"coil.
Tesoro Golden uMax new and old tone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

Just bought a used E-trac...the 11" coil is intermittent,think the cable is bad at the coil.
I'm wanting to replace it but not sure what's the best way to go...should I buy a minelab original 11" coil or put the money into a after market coil?
What coil would you guys suggest if I go that route?
Any advice would be appreciated....

Cheers, Bob

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Just bought a used E-trac...the 11" coil is intermittent,think the cable is bad at the coil.
I'm wanting to replace it but not sure what's the best way to go...should I buy a minelab original 11" coil or put the money into a after market coil?

Cheers, Bob

Bob-"Size wise"....it's been said the stock coil is just really really good,and that's 11". The Sunray X-12 is 12.5" in diameter and I can personally attest to its accuracy and overall capability when searching deep....dimes to 10" in decent soil and conditions. I have it mounted on an Explorer2. There's also the Detech 13" Ultimate which many swear by,so you have your choices. I use the stock 11" coil on the CTX and it hits 9" dimes on a fairly regular basis. The coils width will dictate your depth so the Sunray or Ultimate should get you a bit more depth over the stock coil, everything else being equal....which it rarely is. Any of the 3 mentioned will make you pretty happy. Be aware the Ultimate is heavier than the Sunray and I believe the stock coil is in the middle. Someone will spank me if I'm wrong,I'm sure....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot will depend on the type of hunting you do and the conditions you find. If you're hunting the beach or large open fields, a 15" or bigger coil might be your best choice. Junky areas, like what you find in an urban park, and a 5-6" coil would work great. If you can afford it, get a variety so you have all situations covered. If I had to pick just one to us in all situations, it would be either the stock coil, a 5X10 Coiltek, or a Sunray X-12 depending on my level of junk vs. area size.

Silverindahole

Oct 20, 2013
Canada
Detector(s) used
Etrac/CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Cheers, Bob

No reason why you can't get it fixed...chances are the problem is at the top of the wire under the connector...happened to me from pulling the wire through the bottom rod so many times over the years...old timer in London Ont found the break and repaired it for me..cost before shipping was 25 bucks...you can also mod the upper shaft by cutting a small hole at the top to feed your connector through so you can run your coil cable along the outside of the shafts...works great...HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread