E-Trac VS. Se Pro...???

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
Thinking of getting a new detector. Was wondering if anyone has used one of the newer Minelabs to hunt for fur trade relics? Usually, one would be looking for small pieces of cut silver or brass the size of a dime and thickness of 2 sheets of paper. Also, wondering if anyone has used the 5 inch excelerator coil and how the depth is. Been a long time Whites user and can't complain about my finds one bit. Just wondering how hard it going to be to switch and get used to something else.
Any comments, thoughts, & opinions welcome!

A good day with my Whites, but man, it loves them hot rocks!

Attachments

• DSC02626.JPG
    DSC02626.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,069

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt for the small type of items you describe and my Explorer XS does great. I had a II for a while and bought the XS for back up, after testing it out I started to think I was missing the very small stuff I used to get on my old XS before the II. So I sold the II and been happy ever since. If I thought for a minute the E-Trac or Se Pro was any better at this type of hunting I'd order one tomorrow, but I don't. The old XS sees small deep targets in iron very well and Minelab trying to make the processor faster actually concerns me thinking the detector will move to the next target too soon. When this happens no doubt the machine starts getting fooled at depth seeing a good target as iron. Anyway, I'm not really into the tech. aspect of detectors so maybe i'm wrong, but I do know what works, and I have it.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is any Explorer will do the job. My thing with the Ex II was probably just in my head.

Oh yeah, too bad the side plate/s isn't complete!

OP
OP
A. Grignon

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
So once again, E-Trac VS. SE Pro..........Is the only difference the usb port on the E-Trac?
Is there any other differences between the two that I should take into consideration before purchasing a new Minelab?

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
The Pro Coil is pretty hot from all that I have heard so far.
The E-Track has only been out for a little over a week. Nobody knows enough about, good or bad in that amount of time to be able to give you any real advise on the machine.

I am told the pinpoint is now a crosshair that brings you right in over the target, and also it is a lot lighter than the SE.

You can read the reviews by the testers, and the spec sheets and advertisement, but it just doesn't have enough field time to have a meaningful reputation yet.

Good Luck,
Mark

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mpostma said:
The Pro Coil is pretty hot from all that I have heard so far.
The E-Track has only been out for a little over a week. Nobody knows enough about, good or bad in that amount of time to be able to give you any real advise on the machine.

I am told the pinpoint is now a crosshair that brings you right in over the target, and also it is a lot lighter than the SE.

You can read the reviews by the testers, and the spec sheets and advertisement, but it just doesn't have enough field time to have a meaningful reputation yet.

Good Luck,
Mark

But even that's relative, a crosshair would be nothing more than a guess like a digit target reading is. In junky areas it's probably not going to be as good (or even close) to the sound. Probably just another feature to get people excited until they realize the truth.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
LOL,
Wow, Iron Patch you are surely an optimist!

I am going to wait a bit and see what people say that are actually using it! BEFORE I form a real even think of buying one. That will be a novel approach I know, but hearing all the things that may be good, or may be bad reall doesn't mean squat until someone ACTUALLY using the thing for a while gives their opinions. And as I said before, it hasn't even been out long enough for someone who has one to have enough time on it to know what it's strengths and weaknesses are.

Laughing and Shaking my head!

Mark

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Laughing,
So, if the E-Trac turns out to be a great machine? Will you remember what a "realist" you were when it came out?
Mark

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mpostma said:
Laughing,
So, if the E-Trac turns out to be a great machine? Will you remember what a "realist" you were when it came out?
Mark

Never said it wouldn't be a great machine, I would expect it, all explorers are. I'm simply saying the extras aren't worth getting excited over, they won't find you more and isn't that what counts?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
mpostma said:
Laughing,
Mark

Never said it wouldn't be a great machine, I would expect it, all explorers are. I'm simply saying the extras aren't worth getting excited over, they won't find you more and isn't that what counts?

Totally agree with you IP!

Don

OP
OP
A. Grignon

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
I heard the pinpointing would have V.C.O.. Like the whites do, where the pinpoint is not just a louder and quieter signal, but a range of tones highest pitched being directly over the target, but of course like every other machine if you pinpoint with other targets around it will obviously pick them up too. I find the vco easier to use and helpful in pinpointing on my whites so I hope the SE ahs it.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Got one will tell you what I know so far. Much better balance and lighter. Pin pointing much better has audio and visual to let you know when you are right on. Yes you can hook it to your computer and this is only to load programs and descrimination settings. ID is totaly different from the Explorer. Pro coil is much lighter and better. and it runs more stable than the explorer. not got much time in yet so is it better or deeper I do not know so far I like it better but need more time to hunt with it to be sure.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the ET coil is the SE Pro coil, which I now have installed on my 8 year old XS and works great, so that should not be used as any advantage factor over any Explorer. :) I would love to have an ET, not that I can afford to spend THAT much money right now, but it would be interesting to see if it does find anything that my XS cannot. Heck I would take along anybody just to carry the other detector so I could double check each good reading against each other. I have a feeling there would be not too much difference.......JHMO.

If you need a new detector than you get a new detector, but if the one you have now works fine, and you don't need a new toy, then keep what you got and be happy.

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in TN said:
The coil is a great improvement over the old one. The E Track is a whole different animal alot different than any of the explorers.

In that case I would probably not like it because I've tried many other units and do not like the way they operate.

RigDean

Sep 6, 2008
i'm saving for one....hope to see a huge difference, especially considering that my first and only machine so far is a whites classic 3. :tongue3:

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
I have gotten to go to a local shop and handle the new ET and check out some of the features it has, the most noticable to me was that you could run the smart screen at the same time with a set of VDI numbers. Also that this unit is able to be plugged in to your computer to download programs that you create or from a friend that has sent one to you, I do have to agree with Dave about wondering what would happen if you were sent a program by a computer with a virus or worm, is this gonna wipe out the brain in the machine? The design of the handle is a little more at an angle which I think is a bit more comfortable than an SE, but thats a personal choice. I don't feel there is that great a difference in the weight between the two machines to make it note worthy.My personal opinion is that for the dollar they are asking for this new machine and what small differences there are, I can't personally justify the expence. I have the Explorer Pro and it does a terrific job at finding small objects deep. Maybe after the new ET gets out there and gets some serious detecting time behind it with some experienced explorer users at the wheel, It will prove itself. Till then I'll stay satisfied with the pro.

just an opinion

Slipperyjack47

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread