E-Trac. Who knows?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the pictures, it looks like the coil is the same 11" Pro coil. If that is the case, then I can't imagine the sunray probe and all other accessory coils not working with it.

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
According to an email I just got from two different sources, the ETrac will be compatabile with all Explorer Accessories including the Sunray and coils!!

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
It's a great looking unit but all those buttons would be a waste on me,I'd never learn them all.Glad I went ahead with the XT70.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Being able to download fancy-shmancy discrimination patterns to your PC is not what I consider a plus. A very simple Iron-Mask is more effective in finding the deeper more sought after targets than any special discrimination pattern will warrant. Learn the tones, while mastering some simple techniques with your machine. That's the key.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Being able to download fancy-shmancy discrimination patterns to your PC is not what I consider a plus. A very simple Iron-Mask is more effective in finding the deeper more sought after targets than any special discrimination pattern will warrant. Learn the tones, while mastering some simple techniques with your machine. That's the key.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
yeah, while the whole computer thing is a neat novelty i really have zero use for it. unless this machine can boast better performance, im really not interested. i have too many bells and whistles already. :wink:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not buy one because they put that Computer cra_ in it i have a hard time finding time to detect now with out working at it on my computer.I would never use it in the computer I think the next thing they will put in your detector is a cell phone and a radio.& CD player to much why can't we just have a detector we already have our cell phones that does all that except cook super for me....Minelab can put a microwave in the next Explorer.......................................Jim

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
OK let's all calm down and give it some time.

I remember looking at Explorers When I first got back into the hobby and everyone (ok almost everyone) was slamming that machine as well.

the main thing is I am WANTING, not needing a new machine. I want the "new car" experience with a machine right out of the box.

My delima is do I spend a few extra $$$ and buy the E-Trac or just buy and SE Pro? I am going to upgrade from the EX II, it's just a matter of which one to buy. I don't give a crap about the computer thing . The ONLY benefit I would see to that is if Minelab used that feature to occasionally updgrade Firmware, you know like you can do with routers and other computer hardware. I do like the idea of the new programs in the E-Trac, the high trash program might be just the ticket for the places I get to hunt around here. Also it would be the "wow he has the latest machine out there factor" or it could be "poor sucker, he has the latest machine and it's a dud."

As some that is new to the hobby so to speak, do all manufacturers keep the lid on a new machine like they did with the Etrac or is this something unique to this unit or to Minelab?

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Larry,

Your decision is ultimately going to be up to you. You're going to get guys on this forum who will tell you not to get the new E-Trac, either because it's so new(not proven out in the field yet), or who will say all the extra features they see on this new machine won't bring you more depth/target separation, just more confusion. Some folks won't care because they always want the latest/greatest....."Look what I have"...."I certainly will find more than I did before with this new baby". Do you know how many md'ers just bought SE Pros when they first came out? Quite a few. There were even some that traded in their SE's for SE Pros, even though the coil was the only difference. :icon_scratch: What's a little worrisome is that this E-Trac is becoming more programmable/(i.e. more complex user interface) with all its settings/software (more so than any previous Explorer model), that it is becoming more like what the DFX has become....to master the machine, you're going to have to know how to properly tweak all its settings to get the most out of it. Some might find that challenging/beneficial, while others will find it very confusing/disadvantageous. I'm sure a lot of the Sov. GT owners will shun this highly programmable machine because all they wanted in the first place was great depth and simplicity which the GT successfully provided. To Minelab, it makes good business sense. Now they can continue to sell you software updates to make more profits.

If you're the type of guy that likes an intricate user interface, and loves to play with lots of programmable settings, then you might enjoy the challenge that this new E-Trac will bring. Plus, you might have to re-learn certain features that you're so used to now with your current Explorer. For instance, one thing I noticed after reading the E-Trac user's manual last night is that its Smartfind screen now has Ferrous on the vertical axis(used to be horizontal axis), and Conductive on the horizontal axis(used to be vertical). This will be a little confusing for existing Explorer users that reference their Smartfind displays for target ID.

It's your call, buddy!! For me, the only way I would consider purchasing this machine is that it would have to outperform my existing SE....I would need to run side-by-side real field tests with both units at various sites/ground conditions/external noise, etc. on deep/iffy targets to find out if one is any better than the other. I will not upgrade because of the new elaborate software interface...and I'm a software engineer too. ;D

Good luck!

CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Well I am probably going to pick up and SE PRO. For a lot of reasons not the least of which is the difference in price.

oldbill

Mar 25, 2006
The only ones that will buy this unit is the ones that want something More expensive than their buddies. This is a joke spending this much on a metal detector when a cheap one will do just as good. Bill

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Will we have to go get an engineering degree to operate this machine? Think I'll stick with the Xterra, got it down pretty good.....

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I think Minelab has tried to achieve two goals here...................one is to give the bells and whistles guys something to play with.........but at the same time try to draw in some of the people who are timid in trying an Explorer by touting that the grpah is now more easier to read and providing all information (VDI Numbers) onto one screen. It's like "What can we do to make this machine appear more user friendly". I think if anything they made it look more complicated. I honestly think that there is nothing besides the coil in this machine that will attract a current Explorer user for the following reasons.......

1) Although there are exceptions, most users do not work with the Digital Screen/Numbers. In time, not even the smartscreen. The smartscreen just becomes a reference card for curiousity/confirmational purposes.

2) The extra PP'ing features are unnecessary in my opinion. Aside from proper initial PP'ing technique, a sunray probe is much more important for those purposes.

3) The pattern programs are simply beyond useless in my opinion unless you're embarking on some unlikely and unwise scenario like "Let me just block everything else so I can get all the easy targets, but more than likely miss a lot of good stuff because I'm going to null out on every swing because my disc is so high!". Ok, you'll get a quieter hunt with these patterns, but you'll also more than likely silence any target that falls on the blacked out segments. I would not hunt like that. A simple Iron Mask negative setting is your best bet.

If Minelab wants to make a better Explorer Series or Explorer like detector, they can do the following............

a) Give us a built in Sunray like Probe. We'd factor that feature in and consider the savings that we would enjoy by not spending $200+ new elsewhere.

b) Improve the weight in whatever fashion without taking from the looks of the machine (It's a cool looking machine, best out there in my opinion). So don't change the looks, work with the design. My suggestion? Start by chopping down the battery pack size in half. My battery lasts way longer than I need it to. Instead of one long battery, give us two smaller ones 1/2 the length, this way if the first one runs out, we can slap in a new one. 1/2 of that battery pack gone is considerable weight trimmed off.

I must say, the suggestive sensitivity is very attractive.........that is one useful feature in my opinion. I always hunt in manual sens and would cross reference this feature every so often to "Trim" my sens for manual operation. But dang........I am not spending the difference between this new machine and the $476 I paid for my XS!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Ricardo,

You're talking like a true Pro now....a real Explorer aficionado. :icon_study: :thumbsup:
Good writeup!!

As far as weight is concerned, what is needed is more offset weight in the back of the machine. It's too front/coil heavy. More weight behind the grip would give you a much better balanced machine.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread