Eagle Breastplate, Stirrup, 14 Bullets, & More Dug in Tenn. TODAY!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was a balmy 21 deg. In Tennessee when I drove to a local Civil War site that I had hunted 3 times last year. I wanted to dig 18 more relics to make 300 for the year before the long overdue rapid growing of the grass and planting corn & soybeans slows or stops our hunting at many of our sites. The other Trio members couldn’t hunt with me this morning.
This was a picket post used by U.S. forces and probably Gen. Morgan’s C.S.A. troops in 1862. I started off slow but hit a hot spot where I dug 12 dropped .69 cal. 3 ring “Big Boys” and the iron cartridge box buckle. I needed to get home and check on some cattle so I starting making my way to my truck. On the way, I dug 3 more dropped .69s. A little closer to the truck, I dug the .58 cal. 3 ring bullet. I had 2 items that I suspected were not period but I knew I had 299 relics for 2014. I got a good tone & “74” on my F75 and it was only 5 inches deep. The bullets had been 7-9 in. deep. The target didn’t “squeal” like a can and had a soft pinpoint tone so I dug it. Out popped my first plate of 2014.
Plates are getting very scarce to dig in Tennessee. It’s probably been nearly 900 CW relics since I dug the last one in Oct. 2012. Dman wants to hunt that site soon-imagine that?-LOL. HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• DSCN0053.JPG
    DSCN0053.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 144
  • DSCN0055.JPG
    DSCN0055.JPG
    492.3 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCN0060.JPG
    DSCN0060.JPG
    824.7 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 10
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had to be quite a garrison for so much stuff dropped at a picket site. What contributed to all this....quite a few troops or was there for an extended period of time? Have any idea the amount of troops that camped there?

Short term camp JR. Very little campfire lead. A spring was nearby with a good vantage point overlooking a period road. Indiana, Ohio, & Illinois troops in the area. No record of how many. I'm thinking also a rest area for infantry. I did dig some carbine bullets there last year. HH, Q.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet potato pie tastes a lot better surrounded by 300 CW relics. ;)
WTG Quindy! :notworthy: The plate is awesome! Love that stirrup too! You've had a heck of a year this year! Love the pics and the music in the video. :icon_thumright:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh man, I am LOVIN' the stirrup AND the plate! Nice . . .

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeeee- Haaaa! Great video. I would have to say that was a hot spot for sure. Great job on the 300 they are all worthy but the plate is the icing. I am still thinking this will be known as the year of the "William Cleaner" though. Hopefully your partners will be digging plates and buckles in no time. I always thought that buckle was a harness buckle. Thanks for the I.D. You guys have sure had the season so far. Like those jakes by the fence. Be careful the season starts this Saturday. Good job. I know you are stoked!
HH
TnMtns
Thanks Richard. After seeing the sharper edges on the iron buckle, I'd agree the relic is horse tack probably from a bridle. It was right in the middle of 13 bullets. Turkey season is nearly upon us my friend. HH, Q,

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding that beautiful eagle plate. Sounds like they are getting really tough to come by these days.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet Dman asks Santa for long johns this year so he can go on all the hunts with you, Mr. Q! Congrats AGAIN on a great hunt. You have many milestones ahead of you this year and I am sure you will reach them.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to l@@k again. Congrats on the breastplate Q. You da Man. :thumbsup:

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good stuff Q, that plate is a cool 300. Love the song of the South. If that with the nice pix in the intro don't fire you up to dig, check your pulse.
I'm just now at 100 + relics for the year. You guys are working that dirt. Keep it up. HH.....

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds there Quindy! I hope to hit a new spot this afternoon that my research revealed is very near a large camp. We'll see!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Quindy , Congrats on the Union breast plate .

The roundup of straggler Big Boy 69 cows are awesome as well .

Nice CW Relic hunting as usual my friend :hello2:

dawg

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Oxbow, TAH, Rob (creskol), MT_Joe, JB, Johnny (Jpro), tenn. digger (Donnie), CC2, JReb, Richard (tnmountains), Breezie, Nanners, PW, Terpfan, OD-I can still send Dman to hunt with you-LOL), DD, G2, Richard (Old Stonewall)-I'm sure you saw that "Shenandoah Crossing" print in the video, That one's for you Bud, the Mighty DAWG, & tennessee.
You'll get yours Dman & MM-I'll see to it-LOL. HH everyone, Q.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If Dman brings me an autographed copy of his and Josh's book, send him! He has to leave his dressing trailer and makeup personnel in Tn though, lol.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, awesome job, Quindy! Congrats on all the relics and especially that breast plate! HH

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, so as I said in my voicemail today, I expect a call when one of you pranksters digs a PLATE! Seriously, that's a great find there Q!!! I bet Dman can't wait to come clean up the left-overs. :D

Well done, my friend!

-Buck

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome, awesome job, Quindy! Congrats on all the relics and especially that breast plate! HH

Thanks Matt. Was not expecting that. We have dug 217 relics from the Picket Camp & no plate. This picket poat site has scattered relics & less than 40 recoveries to date-go figure. HH, Q.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BB, I knew you were teaching class at that time & I couldn't reach you but I did think of you when I dug it. We have rain in Tenn. this am but I'm taking Doug to the site today. He claims that he has all the moves of a jungle cat and is so quick that he can jump between rainndrops-LOL. We'll see. HH, Q.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mr Q, please tell Dman that moustache wax will keep his lip dry and help him stay warmer, lol. If you're in a hurry and can't stop to buy some, Chapstick will work in a pinch and if he uses flavored, he can skip lunch so he has more time to catch up to you:laughing7:

Last edited:

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still waiting to dig my first breastplate so I'll have to drool over yours! Great finds as always!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread