eagle claw necklass value

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Can't see the picture. I'd suggest photobucket or some other free photo hosting site.

The eagle claws themselves are only worth about $2 per talon. So the value of the necklace will be solely based on the value of the 18k gold eagle and the weight of the silver setting.

OP
OP
sky355

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fixed the picture. 2 dollars for authentic eagle claw talon? Keep in mind you cant even have them its illegal except for the way I have had them passed down through the family.

pojkin

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2007
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
idx white
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is priceless to you, then it is priceless. However, another person may value it differently.

Henry2

May 27, 2011
First let me say that is a great looking pendant, something that should be passed down. As far as value goes it depends, some would only give you scrap prices while others would see the beauty in it and would be willing to pay more. I wouldn't know the actual value, that would have to be determined by the market for such an item.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice looking pendant.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
sky355

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leprechaun said:
Very nice looking pendant.:icon_thumleft:

Thanks Leo. Hep good points appreciate the feed back.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well seein how it is a Fed offence for anyone not of Native American descent to even have one,and pretty sure nobody can sell one....thats a mighty tough question.I hope you have paper work or can prove its provenance

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Let me clarify. I live on a reservation. Out here, there are a couple native owned stores which sell all manner of claws, bones, hides and feathers to other native americans for use in wing dresses, jewelry and what have you. They sell eagle talons for $2 each. I forget what they charge for eagle feathers. But the only catch is they will only sell to you if you have an enrollment number.

My wife buys these things every now and then when she is making outfits for pow wows. Her relatives are always competing in the fancy dances. She is a Coeur D'Alene indian.

By the way, you should probably read this:
Eagle feather law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ABruce

Apr 11, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread reminds me of an incident which happened to me many years ago. I was buying some antique items from a man in his garage when his neighbor stopped by. We got to talking and he asked me if I would be interested in a full indian chief's war bonnet. I'm not a collector of native american artifacts, but it sounded interesting so I went next door and took a look. In his house he had this beautiful war bonnet with these huge eagle feathers and gorgeous bead work. I don't know much about this stuff, but this was no costume shop item. It was the real thing. The craftsmanship was superb. I really wanted this thing. The story he gave me was that his grandfather had been a mining engineer with an oil company around the time of the first world war and had worked with this indian tribe putting wells on their reservation. The bonnet was a thank you to him for making them so much money. The piece had been left to him by his mother when she passed away. I asked him how much he wanted and he said I should make him an offer. Since I had no idea what it was worth, I told him he'd have to give me a price. He quickly told me $1500. but I really had almost no cash on me as I had just spent it next door. He quickly dropped his price to $1000. if I took it right now. I still had no cash, and it was late on Saturday afternoon and this was before ATMs so I told him I'd be back with $1000. on Monday. He reluctantly agreed. The next day I was telling a friend about my find on the phone. He called me back an hour later and told me another guy said DO NOT BUY IT! That it was illegal for a non indian like myself to own it and I could be fined big time for owning it as well as having the item confiscated by the feds. This was pre in internet, so I made a few calls on Monday morning and confirmed what I had been told. No wonder the guy had dropped his price so quickly. I would have been screwed. When I called the guy to tell him about the law, he feigned surprise, but I could tell he had been just trying to get rid of it to me. Still, I wish I could have owned it. Since then I have heard of antique dealers being fined for having eagle feathers as well as people prosecuted for having feathers from protected bird species in their possession because they picked up them off the ground in the woods while hiking.

OP
OP
sky355

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ABruce said:
This thread reminds me of an incident which happened to me many years ago. I was buying some antique items from a man in his garage when his neighbor stopped by. We got to talking and he asked me if I would be interested in a full indian chief's war bonnet. I'm not a collector of native american artifacts, but it sounded interesting so I went next door and took a look. In his house he had this beautiful war bonnet with these huge eagle feathers and gorgeous bead work. I don't know much about this stuff, but this was no costume shop item. It was the real thing. The craftsmanship was superb. I really wanted this thing. The story he gave me was that his grandfather had been a mining engineer with an oil company around the time of the first world war and had worked with this indian tribe putting wells on their reservation. The bonnet was a thank you to him for making them so much money. The piece had been left to him by his mother when she passed away. I asked him how much he wanted and he said I should make him an offer. Since I had no idea what it was worth, I told him he'd have to give me a price. He quickly told me $1500. but I really had almost no cash on me as I had just spent it next door. He quickly dropped his price to $1000. if I took it right now. I still had no cash, and it was late on Saturday afternoon and this was before ATMs so I told him I'd be back with $1000. on Monday. He reluctantly agreed. The next day I was telling a friend about my find on the phone. He called me back an hour later and told me another guy said DO NOT BUY IT! That it was illegal for a non indian like myself to own it and I could be fined big time for owning it as well as having the item confiscated by the feds. This was pre in internet, so I made a few calls on Monday morning and confirmed what I had been told. No wonder the guy had dropped his price so quickly. I would have been screwed. When I called the guy to tell him about the law, he feigned surprise, but I could tell he had been just trying to get rid of it to me. Still, I wish I could have owned it. Since then I have heard of antique dealers being fined for having eagle feathers as well as people prosecuted for having feathers from protected bird species in their possession because they picked up them off the ground in the woods while hiking.

You were given the correct info. I myself don't much give a hoot for the federal laws regarding this issue.. not to say that I break them in anyway but I believe that the ways of the spirit far over rule any laws our government can dish out. I do believe in the power of conservation and protecting a once almost extinct animal but to make something illegal to even possess no matter what spiritual way it was obtained to me is wrong. Just another form of our government trying to exert its powers on the population at large.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread