Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Eagle "I" Coat Size Infantry Officer's Button & More From CS Camp Last 2 Hunts

I made a solo trip to a CSA Cavalry Camp last Thursday and hunted two hours before the rain moved in. This morning, I made another solo hunt at the same camp and drove through light waves of rain showers on the way there in my truck. There were more waves of rain showers during my 4 hour hunt this morning before the rain became heavier and more frequent. My third signal this morning was the Eagle "I' high convex button with intact shank and no back mark. I consulted with BB and we decided that a little water wouldn't hurt. There seems to be a little gilding left. For those wondering how a U.S. button was dug in a CS Camp, Gen. Morgan's early CSA camps have captured Yankee weapons, bullets, and equipment as Dman, Tenn. Josh, and I have posted many times before.
A total of 6 hours hunting produced my meager recoveries in the 2nd pic and I made a pic of a 3 ringer that I fished out of the dirt pile. Tenn. Josh had to work and Dman had to attend a funeral but I bet they get loose next time-LOL. HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• Eagle I Button    CS Camp 1-16-12.jpg
    Eagle I Button CS Camp 1-16-12.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 916
  • CS Camp  Jan. 12 & 16, 2012.jpg
    CS Camp Jan. 12 & 16, 2012.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 928
  • .58 cal. 3 Ring Bullet 1-16-2012.jpg
    .58 cal. 3 Ring Bullet 1-16-2012.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 916
Upvote 0

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008
Re: Eagle "I" Coat Size Infantry Officer's Button & More From CS Camp Last 2 Hunts

great hunt Quindy.it was excellent seeing a post from you this morning. did some hunting just one bullet so far.

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Eagle "I" Coat Size Infantry Officer's Button & More From CS Camp Last 2 Hunts

Great button and lead. Nice hunt!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice button, Quindy! Another rewarding hunt!

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

jewelerguy said:
Thanks J.G. and HH, Quindy.
BobinSouthVA said:
Very nice finds Quindy, always impressed by your digs.

:icon_thumleft:
Likewise Bob. You had a great year last year and I hope you good digs in 2012. HH, Quindy.
Nana40 said:
VOL1266-X said:
A total of 6 hours hunting produced my meager recoveries in the 2nd pic
Quindy.
Ummmm...you obviously don't know what the word 'meager' means. :D .........
This is meager...my finds from rambling around in the woods today.

You did good! Love the button!!! :icon_thumright:

Nana :wink:
Nana, after finding a CS Block "I" button like you did recently, I guess you may consider your finds "meager" but lots of folks would love to find those relics. Just think how someone like MM cried and whined when they lost that knife-LOL. HH, Q.
RTDE3 said:
Quindy,
You always manage to pull some keepers out of that camp! Good job once again! :thumbsup:
Credit the Fisher F75 and some good luck Rob. HH, Quindy.
MKnTenn said:
Nice button and relics, we have dug alot of federal eagle buttons in a CS camps around here. It drives us crazy to see a button in the dirt pile, only to flip it over and it be a US eagle button in the middle of a CS camp. In some camps there were no buttons at all, they must have had wood or glass buttons, I have found some of both over the years in plowed fields after a good rain. HH
They were strapped for the essentials. I always wanted to find a 2 hole lead button MK. I'll take eagles as opposed to no buttons especially in the early camps. HH Bud, Quindy.
Ken in Georgia said:
Cool Find, it goes to proof that a lot of the Confederates used the union buttons to stay away from the dreaded wooden buttons.
They used whatever they could Ken as you know. Thanks for looking, Quindy.
Gunrunner61 said:
cool finds, glad to hear a Little rain don't stop a good relic hunter :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:HH
GR, I can take a little rain but there's a level where it's time to go as detectors are not waterproof and even the covers fail in a moderate shower. Getting a detector soaked to the point that it must be returned to the factory during the height of relic season isn't something anyone wants to do. HH, Quindy.
Hutch911 said:
Great button buddy!!! looks like another great hunt!!

Hutch
Thanks Hutch!! Any button that is solid given the high fertilization in the fields here is good. Good luck, Quindy.
rebelrouser said:
great hunt Quindy.it was excellent seeing a post from you this morning. did some hunting just one bullet so far.
Thanks Don and you'll find more I'm sure. HH, Q.
Nooberz said:
Great button and lead. Nice hunt!
Thanks for looking NB HH, Quindy.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

Ken in Georgia said:
Cool Find, it goes to proof that a lot of the Confederates used the union buttons to stay away from the dreaded wooden buttons.
Let me explain the wooden button I found in the plowed field, it was in a clump of folded up thin brass that had been plowed up from a hut site, I wasn't saying a wood button would last in the ground for 150 years.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice finds Quindy.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

creskol said:
Nice button, Quindy! Another rewarding hunt!
Thanks Rob. You keep busy helping Tnet members i.d. their finds. You and Kuger are valuable assets to this site. HH, Q.
Old Stonewall said:
Nice finds Quindy.
Thanks Richard and you have written a very interesting book on Gen. Jackson. HH, Quindy.
MKnTenn said:
Ken in Georgia said:
Let me explain the wooden button I found in the plowed field, it was in a clump of folded up thin brass that had been plowed up from a hut site, I wasn't saying a wood button would last in the ground for 150 years.
You never know MK when you might if it has been protected from the elements by something. Tenn. Josh dug an Enfield the other day and I picked out the boxwood plug for him to see. It was pretty solid. Just don't take any wooden nickels-LOL. Quindy.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Nice button. Since you found that button you will be buying lunch. YES! YES! YES!
Dman

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dman said:
Nice button. Since you found that button you will be buying lunch. YES! YES! YES!
Dman
Oh crap, I forgot about that!!! There's a good chance you will dig one too later in the week at the U.S. site. Q.

Seabiscuit

Jan 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
F-75, CZ-20, Troy Shadow

Show them how it's done Quindy! Real nice button!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Seabiscuit said:
Show them how it's done Quindy! Real nice button!
I'm trying Floyd but wish I was on a streak like you're on Bud. HH, Quindy.
kayden said:
Thanks for taking your time to look Kayden and HH, Quindy.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

Definately worth the solo trip :thumbsup:

Nice history saves..

I wish i had Civil War camps i could drive to :-\

Blaze

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quindy , Hunting CW relics solo and in stormy weather is both daring and resourceful 8) reminds me of the Lone Ranger :thumbsup: next trip may be the One :) c'mon CSA plate :whip2: 8) dawg

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

johnnyblaze said:
Definately worth the solo trip :thumbsup:

Nice history saves..

I wish i had Civil War camps i could drive to :-\

Blaze
Thanks J.B. We are lucky to have those CS camps and U.S. sites within an hour or so driving distance but you have those real OLD early American sites which is fun as your posts demonstrate. HH, Quindy.
CMDiamonddawg said:
Quindy , Hunting CW relics solo and in stormy weather is both daring and resourceful 8) reminds me of the Lone Ranger :thumbsup: next trip may be the One :) c'mon CSA plate :whip2: 8) dawg
Dawg, I'd say that I will be joined by a couple of "Tontos" on the next few hunts-LOL. HH and stay warm, Quindy.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice Looking Eagle!
Still looking for my first 'I' :icon_scratch:
Guess I should start heading south,
it must be too cold for them up here :laughing7:
Great Digs Q! Happy Hunting :thumbsup:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a rocken button. That camp is still giving up the goods.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

nice job Q! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

steelheadwill said:
Nice Looking Eagle!
Still looking for my first 'I' :icon_scratch:
Guess I should start heading south,
it must be too cold for them up here :laughing7:
Great Digs Q! Happy Hunting :thumbsup:
Plenty of U.S. CW Infantry officers returned home from the war with their uniforms Herbie. I'm sure you will dig one. HH, Q.
birdman said:
That is a rocken button. That camp is still giving up the goods.
It is Bird and I got a first there today. Will combine some posts for Monday.HH, Quindy.
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
nice job Q! :thumbsup:
Thanks Dave. HH, Q.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread