Eagle item at Civil War Prison Site

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Trying to figure why this one, which I've been told is early 1900s, was at site of Civil War prison. I don't mean near the site, I mean at the site. Is it possible this is earlier item? If not, perhaps dropped by a military veteran visiting the site later on. (Yes, I had permission on private property. This prison was not made into a state or nationally protected site.)

Attachments

• eagle.JPG
    eagle.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 305
Upvote 7
Don't feel bad Bergie, I found two of those last weekend and thought the same thing. They are pretty buttons nonetheless.

Attachments

• 1470233671504.jpg
    1470233671504.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 99
Search some military records online. Maybe the military was investigating the site for remains. Or just visiting because relatives may have spent time there?

Hey, Bergie is back! You could have a second name like "buttons" since you find so many. Your button is an oldie for sure. Wondering what the reverse looks like.

Finding those great seal buttons ar always a welcome treat. Hard to say what some of those buttons would say if they could talk.
Congrats on a sweet piece of history!!

Those buttons are still nice military history. It is a 1902 Great Seal button that is still in use today. There are different backings and makers marks that would tell you if it was WW1 or WW11. Those buttons are great finds in my book, and I enjoy it every time I pull one from the depths of the dirt.

Trying to figure why this one, which I've been told is early 1900s, was at site of Civil War prison. I don't mean near the site, I mean at the site. Is it possible this is earlier item? If not, perhaps dropped by a military veteran visiting the site later on. (Yes, I had permission on private property. This prison was not made into a state or nationally protected site.)

Actually whoever told you early 1900's wouldn't have a clue how early. I had the same buttons in the USAF in the middle to late 1970's.

Actually whoever told you early 1900's wouldn't have a clue how early. I had the same buttons in the USAF in the middle to late 1970's.
Odd that the Air Force had you use Army buttons.
This button has remnants of the black finish applied to it manufactured only until 1923.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back