19.2 KB · Views: 535
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this piece a personal find of yours or did someone else find it and give it to you? The reason I ask is that 99.9% of these Eagles or Thunderbirds are fakes.

OP
OP
pete83

pete83

Oct 14, 2004
Tennessee
I personally found this. My brother and I were hunting in a field when I found this piece along with the point on my picture. I also have several others points that were found from the same field, I will post pics of later. I had posted this rock somewhere else a few years back and was told it was a ceremonial piece and not worth much I haven't thought much about it till I saw the turtle someone else found in this forum.

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratz on the eagle piece and the points are cool too ... thanks for sharing and welcome to TNET ~ Jimmy

OP
OP
pete83

pete83

Oct 14, 2004
Tennessee
So does any 1 have any information on this particular piece, or where I might could find out some more information? Thanks for all your help.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pete, like I said in my first post, 99.9% of these type of objects are considered fakes, so that's why you won't find much info on them. I know you said yours was a persoanl find so it would be a good one, but even with you finding it you will have trouble convincing people it is real.

OP
OP
pete83

pete83

Oct 14, 2004
Tennessee
So if I had this piece authenticated where would I go about doing that, I live in southern TN, Hate to pay the money to do that but if that is what it takes for people to take notice to it and see it for what it is instead of assuming its fake,I surely would. And I do understand why most would think that, but for any 1 to believe me looks like that would be the only answer.

Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
pete83

pete83

Oct 14, 2004
Tennessee
Would age not have something to do with that theory? I only posted that I found this several years ago,actually it was 36 yrs ago. My father was doing some dozer work for a man, and my brother and I asked to look in a field he had just plowed the following day,this is in a very rural area with few people close by and back then it would have been very hard for someone to have accessed his property,That being said were people "salting" that many years back? Just doesn't seem likely to me being the time period this piece was found. I truly appreciate the input. But know it seems I have a dilemma , if no authenticator will actually authenticate it as suggested, What should I do Just forget about it?

OP
OP
pete83

pete83

Oct 14, 2004
Tennessee
Thanks Rainbow Johnson, I have sent an email to Jackson galleries expressing the concerns on authenticating this piece,I will update what they say. I will start looking for shows to attend and see what I can come up with. Thanks for your input.

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
pete83 said:
Would age not have something to do with that theory? I only posted that I found this several years ago,actually it was 36 yrs ago. My father was doing some dozer work for a man, and my brother and I asked to look in a field he had just plowed the following day,this is in a very rural area with few people close by and back then it would have been very hard for someone to have accessed his property,That being said were people "salting" that many years back? Just doesn't seem likely to me being the time period this piece was found. I truly appreciate the input. But know it seems I have a dilemma , if no authenticator will actually authenticate it as suggested, What should I do Just forget about it?
I really wouldn,t worry about getting it authenticated..In my opinion it is not.But like so many times before on this site someone will want to disagree.As far as I,m concerned,the only important thing is do you beleive it is.Unless you plan on selling it or insuring it ,it really doesn,t matter.I do know I,ve seen bushels of those eagles and they were all fake.If you are proud of it and you like displying it.What really else matters.what anyone else thinks.
Jeff

OP
OP
pete83

pete83

Oct 14, 2004
Tennessee
Thanks Jeff, I know this Eagle is real, guess I got caught up in the fact that I had to prove it for some reason. But you are right I know its real and that's all that really matters. It is a shame that in this hobby deception always comes into question because of some people trying to duplicate artifacts. I have been a member of this forum for a long time and really enjoy looking at others finds however, now I can understand why people are hesitant to show more of what they have found. Thanks again Jeff you are absolutely right.

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
pete83 said:
Thanks Jeff, I know this Eagle is real, guess I got caught up in the fact that I had to prove it for some reason. But you are right I know its real and that's all that really matters. It is a shame that in this hobby deception always comes into question because of some people trying to duplicate artifacts. I have been a member of this forum for a long time and really enjoy looking at others finds however, now I can understand why people are hesitant to show more of what they have found. Thanks again Jeff you are absolutely right.
Thanks Pete,I know people are hesitant to show certain finds on here.I know because I,m one of them.I found something I,ve never found before on here.It had been worked into the shape it had.It looks something like a toy axe.But because all I have is a webcam and the fact I,ve never seen another like it.I,m sure if I posted it on here,it would be called a geo-fact.Don,t get me wrong,there are some very knowledgable people on here who have helped me out.I,m no expert,just a country boy who likes looking for rocks.As far as I,m concerned, typeology,age,material is not what is important .The fact that is native american made and I was the first to find or touch it since it was held and used by them is all that really matters.Good luck huntin and enjoy this hobby while you can.Life is too short
I was banned from this forum once for Questioning some ones credibility,so I,m real careeful about disagreeing with anyone now.
Jeff

(())RandY(())

Mar 5, 2008
Tennessee
pete83 said:
What would make people think that what you have is fake? I mean you did say you found in a field were other relics were also found ..Cmon people the question wasent '' Is it real or fake !!!! I hope its one of a kind :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions