The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lRandylInlOhiol said:
pete83 said:
Would age not have something to do with that theory? I only posted that I found this several years ago,actually it was 36 yrs ago. My father was doing some dozer work for a man, and my brother and I asked to look in a field he had just plowed the following day,this is in a very rural area with few people close by and back then it would have been very hard for someone to have accessed his property,That being said were people "salting" that many years back? Just doesn't seem likely to me being the time period this piece was found. I truly appreciate the input. But know it seems I have a dilemma , if no authenticator will actually authenticate it as suggested, What should I do Just forget about it?
What would make people think that what you have is fake? I mean you did say you found in a field were other relics were also found ..Cmon people the question wasent '' Is it real or fake !!!! I hope its one of a kind :thumbsup:

What makes people question whether it's a reproduction or not is the fact that like I stated above 99.999999999% of these pieces are fakes and were mass produced to sell as tourist items years ago and then somehow always manage to make it into someones collection whose grandpa swears he found it in a field years ago, and he may have, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't bought at a tourist gift shop and then subsequently lost by some kid playing with it in the field only to be found 20 years later by someone hunting the field.

I have a point that I personally found in a field back in 1979 that is a huge very highly polished blade that just doesn't fit into any typology of my area. It has a semi-lunate base similar to a whales tail and I have never seen one like it anywhere. I found this piece in a field right next to some houses where there were always kids playing around and in the fields and on occasion they would follow me through the field as I hunted. I have been told many times that the piece is a reproduction and more that likely made of clay or a resin, but the only way to find out is to break it and see what is inside and I'm not going to do that. I have had it checked by an authenticator and even though he found deposits all over it, he still said it was probably modern and had just been in the field for a while. I truly believe it was bought at a gift shop, probably out west somewhere and then while some kid was playing with it he lost it and I came along years later and found it.

Here is a picture of it in the center of this tray. If you could hold it you could see what I'm talking about. It just doesn't fit any type I've ever seen anywhere and it just doesn't feel right, but I will continue to display it because I did find it in a field and good or not it will stay in the tray where it has been the past 29 years.

Attachments

• Artifact Pictures 042.jpg
    Artifact Pictures 042.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 237

(())RandY(())

Mar 5, 2008
Tennessee
DorkFish said:
lRandylInlOhiol said:
pete83 said:
Would age not have something to do with that theory? I only posted that I found this several years ago,actually it was 36 yrs ago. My father was doing some dozer work for a man, and my brother and I asked to look in a field he had just plowed the following day,this is in a very rural area with few people close by and back then it would have been very hard for someone to have accessed his property,That being said were people "salting" that many years back? Just doesn't seem likely to me being the time period this piece was found. I truly appreciate the input. But know it seems I have a dilemma , if no authenticator will actually authenticate it as suggested, What should I do Just forget about it?
What would make people think that what you have is fake? I mean you did say you found in a field were other relics were also found ..Cmon people the question wasent '' Is it real or fake !!!! I hope its one of a kind :thumbsup:

What makes people question whether it's a reproduction or not is the fact that like I stated above 99.999999999% of these pieces are fakes and were mass produced to sell as tourist items years ago and then somehow always manage to make it into someones collection whose grandpa swears he found it in a field years ago, and he may have, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't bought at a tourist gift shop and then subsequently lost by some kid playing with it in the field only to be found 20 years later by someone hunting the field.

I have a point that I personally found in a field back in 1979 that is a huge very highly polished blade that just doesn't fit into any typology of my area. It has a semi-lunate base similar to a whales tail and I have never seen one like it anywhere. I found this piece in a field right next to some houses where there were always kids playing around and in the fields and on occasion they would follow me through the field as I hunted. I have been told many times that the piece is a reproduction and more that likely made of clay or a resin, but the only way to find out is to break it and see what is inside and I'm not going to do that. I have had it checked by an authenticator and even though he found deposits all over it, he still said it was probably modern and had just been in the field for a while. I truly believe it was bought at a gift shop, probably out west somewhere and then while some kid was playing with it he lost it and I came along years later and found it.

Here is a picture of it in the center of this tray. If you could hold it you could see what I'm talking about. It just doesn't fit any type I've ever seen anywhere and it just doesn't feel right, but I will continue to display it because I did find it in a field and good or not it will stay in the tray where it has been the past 29 years.
Wait something dont look right about them Arrowheads :icon_scratch:.. ;D Nice collection you have there,now tell me were i can find some :tongue3:

OP
OP
pete83

pete83

Oct 14, 2004
Tennessee
Thanks Randy to you and a couple of others for the compliments.Yes I did find it in a field with other points that are made of the same exact material, This was in Northern Al, The Man who let me hunt this field did so because of my father, No one else at that time was ever allowed on his property as I said before This was a very rural area 36 years ago and this man would not take kindly to someone on his land for any reason. For those who think its fake or a busted point reworked that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. My origanal post was not is it fake or is it real. Dorkfish I think you have made your point 99.999999999999999999999999999. Three different times in this thread. I have been told by others it was fake and even if it was real no authenticator in his right mind would put his name on a certification. As in one of my earlier post I said I could understand why some would think that. That being said I am of a different opinion. For those who have had positive comments and compliments Thank you very much!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pete, sorry if I came across to negative in my posts. I actually do hope this piece turns out to be authentic for you. The only reason I posted that above was to answer Randys question as to why people would think it was fake. Take it to a show and have it scoped under a microscope and they can tell you if it's good or not. I hope you get good news when you do, but the odds are against you. Good luck to you.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Some see eagles...I see a multi purpose tool salvaged from a point. Engraver. spoke shave, sinew cutter, could have done any of these functions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread