Ear Plug...Anyone ever found one?

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK LISTED IN ONE OF THE POSTS BELOW...IT CONTAINS A VIRUS! I'VE NOTIFIED THE WEBMASTER.

Hello-

After hours of searching...finally identified this as a Mississippian Culture "ear plug".

Just trying to figure out how rare of find it is. (My 10 year old daughter actually found it..."Dad, is this anything?") It's made of marine shell and about 3 inches in length/with the round part measuring about 1". Found in a plowed field in West Central Minnesota. I think it's very rare for this area because all the "old-time" artifact hunters I've talked to say they've never found one or know anyone who has. Just wondering if they turn up more often along the coasts or in the Southern states.

Thanks,

T.

Attachments

• DSC02270_1.jpg
    DSC02270_1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 475
  • DSC02273.jpg
    DSC02273.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Upvote 0

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Im just curious why they would need ear plugs back then...The sound of a roaring brook...or singing birds or wife bitching?

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
That's the best one I've ever seen! I would say it's pretty rare, because I have seen some from around here found, but they were all made of clay. Keep it in a very safe and secure place.
badandy

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Tchaire, this may be the webpage you used to identify your daughter's discovery, but I thought I'd post the link anyway for others who might find the information of interest. Scroll to the bottom of the page to view the shell ear plugs:

[ Link removed: was Compromised by fake Audio Virus Warning]

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
Thanks for the responses...

PBK....That's the site I eventually found after coming across a site that called them "ear labrets"..Otherwise I didn't have a clue. From now on I'm going to start posting first and searching second.

T.

O

Ole Mole

undertaker said:
Im just curious why they would need ear plugs back then...The sound of a roaring brook...or singing birds or wife bitching?

Because even the Native American males couldn't get away from the female chatter ;D ;D ;D

Nice find and if I were to have found something like it I would not have even given it any thought to being an ear plug.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
In terms of rareness, a stone or clay one would be a rarity of perhaps 9.5 on a scale of one to ten while a shell or bone one is probably a 10. Most artifact collectors will never get to see one in person, much less find one!

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This redirects me to a virus site. Beware to anyone who clicks on it.
Thread is 10 years old and no virus.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread is 10 years old and no virus.

DT2016

Link was compromised When I went in.
I got the Fake Audio Warning & I had to Shut my Computer down to Stop it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Link was compromised When I went in.
I got the Fake Audio Warning & I had to Shut my Computer down to Stop it.
No problem here but thread is 10 years old, if you want just delete the link.

DT2016

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few personal finds made from soap stone that the locals called Ear Pins or Nose Pins .

Attachments

• Soap Stone 002.JPG
    Soap Stone 002.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Soap Stone 004.JPG
    Soap Stone 004.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 56
  • Soap Stone 006.JPG
    Soap Stone 006.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 54

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread