Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early 1800's Patriotic button (I think) and a 1918 Merc

I went back to that same soybean field, it was just dig-able, nice three inch crust, then loose soil. (thank goodness for that south jersey sand) I had another perfect 80 target and dug this little button that I thought was a half dime at first. It was in the crust/ice so it took a little finagling to get it out. I seen the shank and threw it in my keeper pouch (didn't want to take my gloves off) Little while later down further in my grid I got a sweet 91 hit, dug that and had to finagle that one out of a chunk of ice, 1918 Merc, I took a pic of it (took off my gloves) and peeked at the time. I decided to make a few more passes then headed for the truck. I started taking "pix from the knee" of the Merc and remembered the button, it had thawed out a little from being in my pocket and I wiped the dirt off the face of it. That was when the excitement started, I seen an eagle an thought it was a GW button. Still a cool find, I THINK it's a Patriotic button? Any help in the ID of this button would be appreciated.
Enjoy the pix
HH & GL
Brad

20160119_161032.jpg 20160119_160955.jpg 20160119_152907.jpg 20160119_152900.jpg 20160119_144520.jpg

Upvote 29

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic button Brad!
Rare find, Rare button!!
And it is copper of brass, not pewter.
Well worth freezing your arse off!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A cockade is a knot of ribbons, or other circular- or oval-shaped symbol of distinctive colors which is usually worn on a hat.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453253684.320731.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453253725.288871.jpg

As I have seen you say many times Brad " Just when I think I have seen it all..."

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome button Brad! Great job on the ID too everyone. That's one cool looking button.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wowsers! Looking good Brad! When you sent me the pic I was thinking GW as well. I think this is equally cool and RARE!

Big congrats!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Scovills Extra backmark was not used until after 1830, not used in the 1812-1820 time frame suggested on the website, also on mine, the shield does not look like an official seal, so I question whether it is military or patriotic.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet button and worth the cold weather dig.Congratulations

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome button Brad. I bet I know where your favorite site is!

I don't think you even have a clue, it is the site I have been inviting you to come hunt with me for the longest time, lol

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Scovills Extra backmark was not used until after 1830, not used in the 1812-1820 time frame suggested on the website, also on mine, the shield does not look like an official seal, so I question whether it is military or patriotic.

Don, you said on FB that our two buttons were slightly different? The link that Dave/olddude posted that button is exactly what I have. It is made of brass not pewder
Every thing on that link of daves is exactly what it is, branches, arrows, one berry 14.52 mm everything matches perfect to everything on that link. The shield on mine matches too. I think your button and my button are different? I Think, I am no expert?
So, I'm confused to what your saying here (which doesn't mean a whole lot) (I'm easily confused)

Last edited:
OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a pic of your button, clearly totally different than mine
button4.jpg

Just for clarification, the button on the right is yours also from a earlier thread in TNet

Here is mine 20160119_160955.jpg

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool !! :occasion14:
Thanks

What a great button, I'll be interested in hearing just what it is and nice merc.
Me too, I can't ID buttons to save my life, thank you

Excellent saves. I think I'm at a halt for a while. I know I can still finagle targets out of the frozen tundra but I'm so afraid that the ultimate find I'm looking for, might get damaged by the attempt. I just keep seeing that beautiful 20 dollar gold piece cut in two! Ya know? ;)

Good job on getting out!
Thanks Gary, I'll take my chances, you know already I'm out of control, with the windchill it was feel like 12 degrees F. Ha I got it bad. I'll be back today.

Cool looking button on cool day digging!
Nice going Treb!
Thanks ironhorse, I'm so excited, too bad I scorned your buddy, I bet he knows what it is? ha lol

Never seen this button in any reference. Granted I'm pretty new but still. Hope that means its rare! Nice find!!
Me too, thanks

There is an 1812-1820 US Army Infantry Officer's Cockade button that looks very much like yours. They list it as being a " hat size "...14.52 mm with a " Scovills Extra " back mark.
That is pretty cool Brad!

George Washington Inaugural Buttons ? * 1808 ? 1854 *Federal InfantryArmy RegimentsOfficers & Enlisted Men

Scroll down pretty far.
Thanks again Dave I still believe you have nailed the ID
It has been a rollercoster ride for me, first GW button then Patriot then GW then..........

Very nice finds congrats
Thanks Trapperart

nice finds.i have never seen that button before either,what ever it is I like it already.You might have something rare there.
I hope so, I can't say what I was hoping for, it is what it is, Of course I'm really still not sure what it is? haaaaaa lol

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the mold seam across the back I'm guessing it is pewter? Ahab beat me to the Albert's reference, but certainly has many similarities to an 1812 military pewter. I'll keep digging as well
Good luck digging brother, thanks

That's a unique button. :thumbsup: Congrats on digging both the button and the Merc.
Thanks Loco, I hope it's military, you know I love our military!

Very cool button! Big congrats!
Thank you

Great job on the ID Dave.

Fantastic button Brad!
Rare find, Rare button!!
And it is copper of brass, not pewter.
Well worth freezing your arse off!!
Thanks George, you were the first guy to learn me about us having the possibility of finding a GW button a few years back. Hell you or I could have easly found something George Washington dropped himself because of the sites you procured! I appreciate your support and help always buddy, just like everyone on this site. GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS and GALS

Awesome button Brad! Great job on the ID too everyone. That's one cool looking button.
Thanks Brad

Brad
That`s one of the coolest buttons i`v seen,the center peice of any collection !
Gary
Thank you so much Gary, coming from you you don't know how good that makes me feel.

Wowsers! Looking good Brad! When you sent me the pic I was thinking GW as well. I think this is equally cool and RARE!

Big congrats!
You too Steve, much gratitude for your support too.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME button there TREB!!!!! That's the kind of thing I hope to see on every flat button I find.... CONGRATZ & HH...

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Brad. Really cool find. Digging in mid January in NJ... well done.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer