Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early 1800's Patriotic button (I think) and a 1918 Merc

I went back to that same soybean field, it was just dig-able, nice three inch crust, then loose soil. (thank goodness for that south jersey sand) I had another perfect 80 target and dug this little button that I thought was a half dime at first. It was in the crust/ice so it took a little finagling to get it out. I seen the shank and threw it in my keeper pouch (didn't want to take my gloves off) Little while later down further in my grid I got a sweet 91 hit, dug that and had to finagle that one out of a chunk of ice, 1918 Merc, I took a pic of it (took off my gloves) and peeked at the time. I decided to make a few more passes then headed for the truck. I started taking "pix from the knee" of the Merc and remembered the button, it had thawed out a little from being in my pocket and I wiped the dirt off the face of it. That was when the excitement started, I seen an eagle an thought it was a GW button. Still a cool find, I THINK it's a Patriotic button? Any help in the ID of this button would be appreciated.
Enjoy the pix
HH & GL
Brad

20160119_161032.jpg 20160119_160955.jpg 20160119_152907.jpg 20160119_152900.jpg 20160119_144520.jpg

Upvote 29

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice button. Wouldn't mind digging one of those myself!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1262542

For those who don't want to scroll in the link above lol
Very nice find Treble!the earliest example known for that pattern,Cant beat that with a stick.In great shape too.congrats!I scrolled down old dude,must have missed it.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice button. Wouldn't mind digging one of those myself!
It was very exciting, thanks

Very nice find Treble!the earliest example known for that pattern,Cant beat that with a stick.In great shape too.congrats!I scrolled down old dude,must have missed it.
That's funny, it felt like forever scrolling down too!, thanks

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm not mistaken?
Scovill didn't start making buttons until 1827??
If that's the case how was this button used in the war of 1812?
What I believe is it is a patriotic button, then a military.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever that turns out to be, it sure is a great looking button. That old eagle design is nice to find on anything!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm not mistaken?

According to Tice's Dating buttons book, SCOVILLS/EXTRA backmark was not used until sometime in the 1830,s earliest use I have seen is on "Jacksonian" buttons which fall into that time frame. Also as I stated earlier the shield does not look like an official seal, which you would think would be on any US Infantry button, and also I have never seen a US military button for Infantry say UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Logic says it would say Infantry, not America. A Diplomatic button has that phrase but no military buttons I can find. Strong opinion, and I have had this since I found mine in 2009, that UU132 buttons (several variants) are Patriotic, not military. Credibility in my opinion of the information on the site which mentions it being US infantry from 1812-1820 period is of question... Now the R.R backmark(on one of the variants) does appear earlier, 1820's, but that is not the button in question...

Attachments

• Tice Scovills Extra paragraph.jpg
    Tice Scovills Extra paragraph.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 51

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Bazelton & McGuinn's back mark book.Scovills Extra is 1840 -1850. See page 110 of American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks and Dates

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Tice's Dating buttons book, SCOVILLS/EXTRA backmark was not used until sometime in the 1830,s earliest use I have seen is on "Jacksonian" buttons which fall into that time frame. Also as I stated earlier the shield does not look like an official seal, which you would think would be on any US Infantry button, and also I have never seen a US military button for Infantry say UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Logic says it would say Infantry, not America. A Diplomatic button has that phrase but no military buttons I can find. Strong opinion, and I have had this since I found mine in 2009, that UU132 buttons (several variants) are Patriotic, not military. Credibility in my opinion of the information on the site which mentions it being US infantry from 1812-1820 period is of question... Now the R.R backmark(on one of the variants) does appear earlier, 1820's, but that is not the button in question...

That was well said Don.
Thanks for the info.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad, again, that's a hell of a button buddy. It's racking the best minds on T-net! I think it's a beauty and reeks of history no matter what the background. Now if it were made in China...well that's different. But it not!! Lol

That said, wicked nice explanation and ID Don. You're da man

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Thanks ironhorse, I'm so excited, too bad I scorned your buddy, I bet he knows what it is? ha lol"
Lol Brad. As a friend at work says : you don't poke the bear!:laughing7:

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm not mistaken?
Good point George, thanks

What ever that turns out to be, it sure is a great looking button. That old eagle design is nice to find on anything!
J.Cache, I hope to find it on a silver coin today, haaaaaaaaa lol Thanks

That is so interesting, now I'm not confused anymore. It makes much more sense. Thank you Don in South Jersey, you have been a voice of reason and done in a nice way. I appreciate your help. Let me know when you want to join me in theses fields, there is an easy thousand acres left untouched by my XP Deus?

According to Bazelton & McGuinn's back mark book.Scovills Extra is 1840 -1850. See page 110 of American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks and Dates
Thanks Steve

That was well said Don.
Thanks for the info.
George knows me and my Philadelphia Roofers ways, glad you could ask the right questions for me. Haaaaaaaaaaa
What a roller-coaster ride this tiny little button has been for me, what an exciting hobby licking coins and buttons has turned out to be for me!

Brad, again, that's a hell of a button buddy. It's racking the best minds on T-net! I think it's a beauty and reeks of history no matter what the background. Now if it were made in China...well that's different. But it not!! Lol

That said, wicked nice explanation and ID Don. You're da man
Thanks Steve, I appreciate it.

"Thanks ironhorse, I'm so excited, too bad I scorned your buddy, I bet he knows what it is? ha lol"
He does know his stuff, he has taught me like a nun with a ruler, ouch!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

I was thinking the same...

I think the "bear" is hibernating, so.... Shhhhhhhh!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That button is really awesome

That Sandy new jersey soil is so nice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread