Early coin spill yields silver and copper bonanza!!! Lots of pics. NOW UPDATED!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
What a day!! And it almost didn’t happen. I hadn’t planned to get out today due to other things going on, but I ended up with a couple of free hours late in the afternoon and couldn’t resist the urge to do a little hunting. Plus today’s the last day before deer hunting gets in full swing so I wanted to take advantage by hitting my new button site one last time. When I got there I decided to go check out the little alcove area way in the back left of this huge field. After the long walk I noticed there was a nice little ridge in the middle of this area and I thought there was a good potential for a house or camp site. But after 10 minutes of swinging and hearing nothing but dead silence, and with no sign of any previous occupation (absolutely no iron, bricks, pottery, oyster shells, etc) I started to head to another part of the field in search of a new hotspot. But as I was leaving I got a nice deep hi-tone signal and was surprised to see a LC pop out. So I slowed down a bit and within another 15 ft I got a similar signal which turned out to be another copper. And 5 minutes later a 3rd one rang out. This was getting fun! Then I started getting several hi-tones but they all ended up being some sort of pot metal. Right when I was about to give up and move on I got a great sounding but very deep tone, and from 10-12” I pulled out a nice looking silver disk. To my amazement it ended up being an 1827 bust dime. In spite of digging over 120 colonial silver coins in the last 15 years, this was only my 2nd bust silver ever. What a way to end the hunt I thought. But little did I know that I wasn’t even halfway there yet. I decided to go back over the area where I had found the 4 coins very slowly and at a 90 degree angle to my previous direction and got immediately rewarded. In the next 20-30 minutes I dug 2 more coppers, a 1775 one reale , a 1782 cut one reale, and finally a big ole 2 reale. After expanding my search pattern a bit and not finding any more coins I decided to call it quits since the sun was quickly fading behind the trees. I figure this must have been some kind of random coin spill that had gotten scattered by the plow over the years as all 9 coins were found within a 40-50 foot circle. And it was also odd that I did not find a single button, buckle or any other relic – just a couple of small lead bullets. I haven’t had a chance to clean the coins up yet, but was excited to post these as soon as I could. It appears one of the coppers is a draped or capped bust variety and the others are the standard coronet head cents. I’ll post up the cleaned coins in a few days. This is just another example of a site that produces unexpected finds in the most unexpected of places. But that’s what makes this hobby so exciting. Since a couple of these coins were found at the very edge of the detection depth of my F75 I feel like more coins could be found. Need to bring in some different machines and larger coils in there to make sure anything left can be found. Where's a GPX-5000 when I need it! More on that later …..

UPDATE: For those that haven't seen my post about the follow-up hunt on this site you can check it out at the following link:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,435471.0.html

In a nutshell, I found 3 more coins using the 15" coil on the F75 - two 2 reales and another copper. I've added a pic at the bottom of this post showing all 12 coins cleaned up. A 3rd trip there this weekend didn't produce any new finds, but I may be close to purchasing a new Minelab GPX-4800 and will surely take it here first armed with an 18" coil. And then back to the hammered silver site.

Attachments

• coin spill all.JPG
    coin spill all.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 942
  • 111811c.JPG
    111811c.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 2,400
  • 111811d.JPG
    111811d.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 2,408
  • 111811e.JPG
    111811e.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 2,422
  • 111811f.JPG
    111811f.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 2,428
  • 111811g.JPG
    111811g.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 2,439
  • 111811h.JPG
    111811h.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 2,450
  • 111811i.JPG
    111811i.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 2,423
  • 111811j.JPG
    111811j.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 2,453
  • 111811b.JPG
    111811b.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 2,436
  • 111811k.JPG
    111811k.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 2,440
  • 111811a.JPG
    111811a.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 2,447
  • coin spill all.JPG
    coin spill all.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 941
Upvote 0

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
ACE250 w. 10x14'' DD and Lots of research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
Re: Early coin spill yields silver and copper bonanza!!! Lots of pics.

man that is some old stuff, what a fantastic hunt

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

gwdigger said:
Something I just remembered. Sometimes when I asked farmers for permission the old timers often said "no one had any money back in those days". Chuckling, I'd answer "thats because they lost it all in the fields". :tongue3: It often seemed to break the ice a bit.

That's funny since the farmer I talked to told me that "you're not going to find anything out there". Well, after finding all these coins (plus a VA halfpenny) and around 100 buttons I get a little chuckle.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill D. (VA) said:
gwdigger said:
Something I just remembered. Sometimes when I asked farmers for permission the old timers often said "no one had any money back in those days". Chuckling, I'd answer "thats because they lost it all in the fields". :tongue3: It often seemed to break the ice a bit.

That's funny since the farmer I talked to told me that "you're not going to find anything out there". Well, after finding all these coins (plus a VA halfpenny) and around 100 buttons I get a little chuckle.

He must think you're a really hard looker!

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo

Gezzz, that kind of find almost makes wish I lived up there where it gets cold. Well done.

diggin tennessee

Jun 26, 2010
athens, tennessee
Detector(s) used
white's and explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i think you need to invite some of us up there to help make sure nothing is missed.

great finds!! :notworthy: :headbang:

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Bill your finds are ridiculous :notworthy: I always look forward to your posts! :headbang:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congratulations on your finds Bill! :notworthy:
You really earned them! :thumbsup:

Dave

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

like someone else said..i think theres more to that area than just a random coin spill.maybe that's where the farmer made his transactions? out of sight from the wifey? :laughing7:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Wow! Nicely done!!

All the best,

Lanny

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Its amazing what those old farm fields have hiding in them. Nice saves!! :icon_thumleft:

rebeljim52

Sep 20, 2009
Silverstreet SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000 and used XLT E
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice finds would love to find coins that old.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

Wow! Nice finds, lets see them cleaned up some, you have to feel sorry for who ever lost them, could have been a months wages. HH

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

MKnTenn said:
Wow! Nice finds, lets see them cleaned up some, you have to feel sorry for who ever lost them, could have been a months wages. HH

You can see the cleaned coins along with others found on day 2 in my other post (linked below):

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,435471.0.html

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've never had a day even close to that. That is amazing!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Awesome digging, Bill! I have been following your recent hunts. Your Fall season was made by this field. :coffee2: I love this hobby with a passion! Thank you for sharing your finds with the forum.

Kirk :hello:

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold

Savage finds! Congrats and thanks for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

lost crow

Jan 26, 2011
Texas

Wow, nice, very nice. I bet that was a blast.

willie3960

May 29, 2006
Long Isliand N.Y.
Detector(s) used
DFX .MXT.

Ive been hunting a lot of feilds the last 2 months ive gotta say what a great day you had congats !

willie3960

May 29, 2006
Long Isliand N.Y.
Detector(s) used
DFX .MXT.

Ive been hunting a lot of feilds the last 2 months ive gotta say what a great day you had congats !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread