Early Tayopa newspaper story

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Continuing the story...

San Francisco Call, Volume 86, Number 74, 13 August 1899 Two Americans Murdered p1.jpg

San Francisco Call, Volume 86, Number 74, 13 August 1899 Two Americans Murdered p11.jpg

San Francisco Call, Volume 86, Number 74, 13 August 1899 Two Americans Murdered p12.jpg

San Francisco Call, Volume 86, Number 74, 13 August 1899 Two Americans Murdered p13.jpg

San Francisco Call, Volume 86, Number 74, 13 August 1899 Two Americans Murdered p14.jpg

San Francisco Call, Volume 86, Number 74, 13 August 1899 Two Americans Murdered p15.jpg

One again to be cont.....

Corp

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally the last parts of the story..

San Francisco Call, Volume 86, Number 74, 13 August 1899 Two Americans Murdered p1.jpg

San Francisco Call, Volume 86, Number 74, 13 August 1899 Two Americans Murdered p17.jpg

San Francisco Call, Volume 86, Number 74, 13 August 1899 Two Americans Murdered p18.jpg

San Francisco Call, Volume 86, Number 74, 13 August 1899 Two Americans Murdered p18.jpg

San Francisco Call, Volume 86, Number 74, 13 August 1899 Two Americans Murdered p19.jpg

So you see The Yaqui never forgets either a good turn or a bad turn...

Corp

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
g'd evening ACorp, You are supposed to be relaxing today & Sun, perhaps on a torrid date????. :icon_thumright:

Gracias for the extremely interesting post . That was on my ground.

The Yaqui also had a few other interesting methods. For some reason they left me with a feeling of comradeship. also they hadn't openly practiced those thingies for a few years when I was with them, stillll. For some reason I was easily tricked into showing my pistol work which impressed them, not that it would have done any good in their usual method of ambush - shoot first, then attend to what survived later.

Ole Juan once took me to a point and said "here is where we had a battle in the 30's." It was new year morning and we welcomed it in by dancing. The col ? of the federal forces yelled "Happy new year you **^&%% Yaquis" and ordered "open fire."

"We fought for 3 days." See that cave over there ? "

Yes" I replied, "Well there was a Federal in the cave ,but it took me almost the three days to finally hit him with my Mauser.".

The ground was still covered with layers of corroding cartridges, both still unfired and fired..

The Yaqui today is not a danger as such, he now knows just how big Mexico and the Gov't are and that he has no chance, in fact while I was with them, a group ran away into the hills & told the Commanding General of the area "we want this or we will fight again. " He merely replied "I will give you 3 days to come down and surrender your weapons or we will go get you".. In three days they meekly were down in the towns again.

The gov't never beat the Yaqui with arms, but in the armistice the gov't insisted that they open schools, which the yaquis agreed was a good idea, however as the Yaquis were educated, the gov't sneakily showed them the power of the gov't and how it was impossible for them to win, so the gov't won by diplomacy snicker.

Now go on that relaxing date luv.

Jose

Last edited:
OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Don Jose

I am more than happy spend a Sunday researching this ... as my job is flexible as my time is mine to to give...After all its not every day anyone has a employment deal like I have.

One thing you properly already know about my boss he only employs those who lives and breathes what their destined to do......

And when you think you have found everything possible to find.. He comes along as says what about that, like hes has known about it all along...

He challenges and stimulate your thoughts and drives you onto to bigger and better things.

And yes It is time for that date, but fear not my sweet Don Jose I have more things to show you.

until next time.

Corp

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Don Jose

Your site of Tayopa mining lease was it latter part of a former Ranch?

Corp

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd morning ACorp luv, :coffee2::coffee2: I need that coffee, you ? 04:00 here There were many ranches up there over time. Today that is a semi deserted zone but rebuilding rapidly. In the col. days it was the main travel route since the lowlands were considered swampy and fever ridden, impossible to travel in during the monsoon periods. They had considerably more rain then than today. and avoided the low areas. Areas where the Yaquis now travel with vehicles were then traveled with canoes, often the areas would be covered with 1 - 2 meters of standing water due to shifting sand dunes blocking access to the sea of Cortez. I have several very interesting stories on this, one concerns those French Lances that I want..

As for The Tayopa zone, yes, there was a small ranch that continued to occupy the valley and site of the Headquarters and they have called it "Rancho Tayopa" over the years, still do. But it isn't close enough to be of much help to find Tayopa itself. Many have been diverted in the search because of this, leaving it for us.

Jose

Last edited:
OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning don Jose

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. Indeed we do seem to parallel one another in information. I can confirm your comments about the ranch.

Here is a 1930 Mexican census document of the people living there. You will notice on the top right hand corner Pueblo Tayopa.

TAYOPA 1930 cropped.gif

Thank you kindly Don Jose. It all helps me understand the story on how it came to be where it is. And how other factors influenced previous searches that ultimately led to failure. I have been slowing beginning to understand where most of the Documents ended up pertaining to Tayopa and its various evolution over 3 locations and in what time. Which helps considerably in which various parishes the documents was held.

I even found much more about James Frank Dobie and C B Ruggles but that is for another post. But that's another story for now.

That coffee will do nicely.....

Corp

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
... I even found much more about James Frank Dobie and C B Ruggles but that is for another post. But that's another story for now ...
Corp

Now, THAT (information re Dobie) I for one would like to hear about.

don Jose, this history is intriguing and has been for years, but when are we going to see photos of the portals? Also, most would like to know if the meat of the legends (caches) ever existed. The proof is in the pudding.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd morning ACorp luv: You have just run into another problem, That pueblo still exists, and is also called Tayopa, but it is 'not' our Rancho de Tayopa. Another example of the problems of seekers in the past. doing just fine luv go go go.

Jose

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield, :coffee2::coffee2:. Sorry the main Portal is under many tons of arroyo debris 'My' entry is still hidden and will stay so until I receive certain concessions from the gov't or it can stay hidden for another couple of hundred years. Obviously I cannot post a picture of it here.

As for the caches, yes they exist, in fact we are working on one right now, this is the one where they broke through into a sealed chamber full of skeletons, two of which are still fairly intact, along with a stone axe and broken Spanish sword. The one with the sword was sitting against the wall??

Unfortunately we are running out of money so it may be a while before we start again. sigh. Pictures of the cave and skeletons supposedly are on their way down here. I will post them when they arrive.-- remember, they have to come by foot, mule and truck plus this IS old Mexico. I will asap, mostly because you have been extremely patient and did believe in me from the start, my friend, for which I thank you.

Incidentally, neither Dobie nor Ruggeles were ever at Tayopa, although Dobie did an excellent descriptive job on where they were supposed to have camped. above The Paramo of Tayopa, including the path of the sound of the bugle having a return echo of three different pitches.
Don Jose de La Mancha.

OP
OP
Corporate Investigations
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All

Just a quick question for clarification Dobie was with Ruggles in 1927 looking for Tayopa? Is that the general belief?

Corp

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
everyone who begins to search for tayopa may already know this but the jesuits built a school in chihuahua, chihuahua in 1717. the schools name was our lady of loreto. its primary function was to school the spanish children of that city and to get the preists who were being assigned to missions in the sierra,with a crash course in native dialects and to prepare them for the rigours of mission outpost life. the school also housed records for ALL of the missions in the sierra. the school existed from 1722 until 1767 .it was closed under orders from carlos iii. as the jesuit espulsion went into effect. all of the contents of the school property ,archives ,everything was passed on to to an organization called the "administration de temporalidades" it took this group @ 3 years to archive all of recovered information. im reasonably sure that the information that found its way onto dobies book came from this source. specifically the letter and the map, the meat of the information of course was omitted. the most detailed information concerning the tayopa mission and secreted treasure most probably came from this source. i understand that it has been in private hands of a very prominent family for for some generations . the key to locating the family who has in their possession these records is a treasure hunt in itself. ////// the church records(birth ,death and marriage) that are sometimes mentioned are held on record and located in bacadehuachi, are indeed true, but are for the tayopa mining community that is frequently associated with guaynopa. its actual location is north ,northeast of guaynopa and there are reports up to 1869 referencing this site . a silver mine ,very difficult access, one mine only, and not the tayopa connected in any way with the famous treasure. it is now caved in . reportedly some silver bars(some 13) with tayopa crudely stamped onto the surface were found in one of the buildings there. best access is from huachinera, on horseback. go after the marijuana is harvested. and plan on @ 5 days. there are several competent guides for hire.be sure to take some ben-gay.///// if you go to the tayopa of treasure fame, you might like to stop in yecora, sonora, its just north of the trans mountain highway and almost due north of mesa del campanario. now a protected nature preserve. you can hike down the eastern flank and reach tayopa on foot just as the deroterro says, if you're a purist(take some ben-gay here too,and some tequila). well ,taking the main street (not paved) from the highway into yecora ,and take the first intersection making a left ,about two blocks down on your left is the rectory for the franciscan friars. some of the fathers are very well informed on the local history from the time of the jesuit expulsion. and some are not. if you meet the right priest you may enjoy the conversation,about tayopa ,guadalupe de tayopa,mulatos ,la trinidad etc.////// also remember parral was the ruling center for nuevo vizcaya, and the original church archives are located there. //// as an additional comment the guaynopa mine is held by some mining friends of mine, the claims that cover the tract are four , la esperanza, tayopa ,in the tayopa arroyo(hmm!), tres naciones and amplification tres naciones. the property has recently been optioned by braeval mining corporation of ontario canada. i hope they treat these guys right as the claimsowners are really decent and deserving people,and the mine has tremendous potential. hope this helps.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd morning ACORP. Orphan annie ( a Male ) is a close friend of mine whom I hold in high regard, However we do have a difference of opinion on the 'final' location of "The Tayopa". The Tayopa that he mentions correctly is no.2 , north west of Yecora, and as he rightly stated, is one of the Tayopas. -->La Divine Trinidad.<-- . His Mexican friends have sold their rights to various mining co's

it is a nightmare of claims there right now, The CEO of one of the major claim holders is a close friend of mine Jim Voisin of The "First Mexican Gold corp" , he keeps me informed of happenings.

You also can get to the area on the road from Hermosillo to Chihuahua by turning to the left just beyond the Military check point at he foot of the Sierra Obscuro (Mesa del Campanera ) on the junction of the roads from Obregon (Quiriego) and the one from Hermosillo.and go to the Santa Anna / Trinidad area..

He is a very reliable source of mining etc information in Mexico and I am glad to call him my friend, but he just lost a coffee date by not telling me about the Records in the Bacaseguachi Church before. Yes I did casually check once but was rebuffed at the time. This was before I found the 'Actual' lost Tayopa.

Orhan Anies wa probably within a few miles when he took some Americans in to the Actual Tayopa zone, but even if he had gone there, he would have never found anything. The people in the Lumber Ejido "Serrochito" that actually over look Tayopa only know that some where out there is the lost Tayopa Mine and suggest that I look for it snicker, and many wonder why I don't poke around it. Does this partially answer your question Springfield ??

See the 0ictures of the saw mill that overlooks Tayopa and the country that it is located in.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Tayopa lies in plain isght out there..jpg Cerro del Cura.jpg

Attachments

• Saw Mill above Tayopa..jpg
    Saw Mill above Tayopa..jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
first of all i want to acknowledge that don jose is the one and only discoveror of the tayopa treasure hoard.it is not a point of contention at all ,and i wish him the best .i am only trying to maks suggestions for those people wanting to look for treasure or mines in mexico(my personal focus is and always has been lost mines and mine dumps,its much more lucrative than following up on treasure stories, in my opinion,anyway. so at the risk of being repetative i am not a treasure hunter , i have never looked for the tayopa treasure, i have no interest and ,i have no friends now or ever looking for the tayopa treasure. i worked for years with various exploration companies in the 80's and 90's looking for mineral deposits in the sierra madre of northern mexico. half of our team were americans and canadians,europeans and the other half mexican nationals. some of those people had an intimate knowledge of of the complete mining history of the area.by the time those fifteen years or so were over i had acculumated quite a bit of information about the sierra ,mexican mining history and the like,and had done some of my own research. i met a lot of people ,university professors ,historians, priests,and . i also met some people who had a lot of first hand knowledge about many things in mexico that you will never come to know as an armchair prospector. the information i have passed along particular to the tayopa story is mainly information that came directly from those types of people. and one person in particular had a family member who was a major participant in an expedition to uncover the tayopa treasure or at least some of it, a project undertook by a former governor of the state of sonora. //// for anyone thinking about pursuing a treasure in mexico i strongly suggest you first of all investigate mexican treasure law. you can get a complete copy in english. it will tell you who legally owns the treasure ,what your rights are as a treasure hunter ,and the process and forms necessary to complete in order to activally untertake a treasure extraction. with no intention to cause disagreement, i must state that mexican mining law has nothing to do with mexican treasure law. to denounce a mining claim gives the claims holder no legal right or protection to any treasure that may be found on his property.you cannot "claim" a treasure. so dont let that give you false security. treasures fall into two categories ,private /personal and national,those that are part of mexican history. personal treasures usually go 100% to the extractor of the treasure, national treasures are usually 50/50 split with the state,or the nation . without going into more detail the process is really quite simple and free. and in most cases if you can show the government real evidence of a :find" they will often provide the equipment for the extraction, you pay labor and fuel. they will also assist with military protection if deemed necessary. this has been my personal experience.they will not authorize an extraction based on a dream or a hunch, you must show convinving evidence. ///// secondly ,i suggest that you focus on researching the expeditions that have been undertaken in the last 100 years or so ,all mexican, to look for and or uncover the tayopa treasure ,to decide for yourself if there's anything left worth looking for. if you speak and read spanish you will find it. good luck to everyone in their search.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Excellent, please do continue amigos. BTW for researchers, Tayopa is spelled in the old records many different ways; like Tayopa, Tayope, Taiopa, Teopa, Tiopa Tyopah, many variants. The one I find most intriguing however is not "the" Tayopa but Teopari, which I think was the site Dobie had concluded was Tayopa.

More please, and need more coffee!
Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread