East Fork River Prospectors

SteveDigsGems

Dec 22, 2012
Aliso Viejo, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ranger service thinks it's the prospectors who mess up the river... When is the last time one of those hikers, families or fisherman brought a metal detector to the river? Oh, that's right! They just bring a bunch of trash. Well, I hope the ranger service can keep things clean for them if they ever fully kick us out. 128 holes in just over 4 hours, seems like 3 items belong to miners/prospectors. A possible sluice handle, and 2 square nails from the old timers back in the day. I have a lot more work to do before I can actually hunt the area. By the way, it was a little weird having the maintenance guy watch me clean while he emptied trash cans, then had his lunch on a picnic table, lol. I guess it is too expensive to pay someone to clean the river, so a better option is to stop the prospectors from cleaning the trash for free!

574441_573624482658936_1560572003_n.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SteveDigsGems

SteveDigsGems

Dec 22, 2012
Aliso Viejo, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the river was almost all trash (maybe 50 cents in coins). This weekends holiday put a layer of trash on top of the ground too, I had to clear that first. I went up on the hillside for a while, but as I got hits on my detector, I would try to dig them up just to find that the ground wasn't solid, there was just a layer of dirt over the wash rocks. I had a few rattle snakes around me, so I was worried about one slithering out of one of the gaps between the boulders and rocks. I want to go back and take some hard rock samples, maybe this weekend.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah...I remember our prospecting club organized a east Fork trash clean up weekend. Jerry Hobbs than owned Azusa Gold also was there. Even in the 90's their were only a handful of prospectors. Most of the trash on the beaches and river banks was left by weekend river rats. I remember seeing freakin diapers on the beach, only a few feet from a trash can. Suppose some people like to live in the -rap! Anyways..yes they want to ban recreational prospecting , nothing new there...but this will not stop me....:) good hunting and KEEP on Prospecting....

OP
OP
SteveDigsGems

SteveDigsGems

Dec 22, 2012
Aliso Viejo, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh... There were diapers! Never stop, that's what prospecting is about! You can always make that big find right at the end of the day. Happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread