Eating my words.

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you read my last post "Pan or Sluice" you'll know I had some doubts about my new Angus Mackirk 'Adventurer'. It just seemed that I could pan down to BS quicker than I could classify, feed, etc. I just wanted the black sand and I wasn't seeing the sluice providing me with a quick enough collection. I also wasn't seeing black sand anywhere but the first riffle.

Along with some statements about the sluice processing WAY more material per hour, some kind folks suggested I give it another try and have some faith. Along with some tips on angle, flow, etc.

Thank you. Maybe I was frustrated with the amount of black sand showing, or the lack of color retrieved or even the fact I was finding color in the tailings. Whatever, I gave it another try today.

Everything worked a LOT better. The black sand even displaced the blonds in all of the riffles, not just the first one as previously. It just took a while for the process to complete.

My cons were WAY better also and I now think I may be able to make something of this spot.

I ran 6 gallons of material classified to - 1/4" (I did more, but not for this test) Here's how I did.

IMG_0508.JPG

Here's my sluice at work.

How does it look? Am I feeding it too quickly? Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    471.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The video looks like you are doing pretty well (I have the Expedition model which is similar). Continue to experiment with faster and slower water flow and steeper/flatter setup to get a sense of the best operating range for your new sluice. Do keep the water in the sluice shallow for best results just as in the video. Since these sluices are so quick to clean out you can do a lot of testing/learning in one outing :)

The AM sluices are easier to use than those with Hungarian riffles but there is still a learning process to get best performance. Have fun out there and get the gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread