West Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4000 & 5000
Minelab Extera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quartz Speci.JPG

Hi all
It was a surprise to have found this speci so close to the Southern Ocean. Guess gold is where you find it.
It does help to think outside of the box.
Cheers

Attachments

• Hopetoun Trip.JPG
    Hopetoun Trip.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice color, beautiful piece, congrats. :hello2:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are The Man! that's beautiful. Welcome to the forum.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tonkalong,
Thank you for those pictures I really needed them tonight! There is nothing to brighten up a persons mindset than to see pictures like those! The best of success to you and I hope you find a retirement nugget this season!..................63bkpkr

OP
OP
T

Tonkalong

May 27, 2013
West Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4000 & 5000
Minelab Extera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments everyone. That specie was down about 6-7 inches and I was using a GPX4000 at the time. The ground was the strangest I have detected as at one stage I was battling to pick a 5 gram specie on top of the ground. Must have been the clay surround the area. One day I will hit the big one 63bkpkr. No Hurry :-)

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice species Tonkalong Were you running the GPX 4000 on factory preset and auto tune or your own settings . Like Borgine 3 ? The reason i ask is i run 4500 with a nugget hunter 12x8 mono with own settings, any thing over a gram is a clear signal at over 10 inches in mineralized ground. 10th of a gram at 55 mm.

tinpan

OP
OP
T

Tonkalong

May 27, 2013
West Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 4000 & 5000
Minelab Extera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice species Tonkalong Were you running the GPX 4000 on factory preset and auto tune or your own settings . Like Borgine 3 ? The reason i ask is i run 4500 with a nugget hunter 12x8 mono with own settings, any thing over a gram is a clear signal at over 10 inches in mineralized ground. 10th of a gram at 55 mm.

tinpan
Hi ya Tinman,
I use my own settings on the 4000 and the 5000. I have a mate who uses the 4500 and he uses the setting bellow:

SWITCH LOC 1 SEARCH MODE... G 2. SOIL TIMINGS ...ENHANCE 3. GROUND BALANCE ... FIXED; SETTINGS:-- VOL LIMIT... 12 GB TYPE... G SPEC SMOOTH, MOTION... SLOW, RX GAIN ...12-14 ,AUDIO ...NORMAL, AUDIO TUNE ...whatever tuning brings up, STABALIZER ...12-14 Signal...16, TAR/VOLUME... 12, RESPONSE ...NRM, TRACKING... SLOW,

The 5000 will outperform all before but only just on the 4500 using the Commander 11", great depth on specimens but we are talking bat poop here. I have bits even smaller than a 10th of a gram. Personally, if you have a 4500 I would not upgrade to a 5000 as it only involves the smallest of pieces. The 5000 is better in Salt country on salt lakes but for this you need to run in salt mode with a DD and in cancel. This is a big advantage of the 5000 over the 4000
The best machine I have used for depth on 10gram + was the SD2200 with a 18" Mono. Still a great machine but does not handle the mineralization with a mono as does the GPX detectors.
These are my experiences which could differ from a lot of other detectorists.
Cheers

The 8" Mono nugget finder is good on small bits in shallow ground but will miss the deeper ones if there is depth.

Last edited:

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Top shelf spec piece ..... nice 8-) . All nice stuff . Good clean pic too :icon_thumright: .

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ya Tinman,
I use my own settings on the 4000 and the 5000. I have a mate who uses the 4500 and he uses the setting bellow:

SWITCH LOC 1 SEARCH MODE... G 2. SOIL TIMINGS ...ENHANCE 3. GROUND BALANCE ... FIXED; SETTINGS:-- VOL LIMIT... 12 GB TYPE... G SPEC SMOOTH, MOTION... SLOW, RX GAIN ...12-14 ,AUDIO ...NORMAL, AUDIO TUNE ...whatever tuning brings up, STABALIZER ...12-14 Signal...16, TAR/VOLUME... 12, RESPONSE ...NRM, TRACKING... SLOW,

The 5000 will outperform all before but only just on the 4500 using the Commander 11", great depth on specimens but we are talking bat poop here. I have bits even smaller than a 10th of a gram. Personally, if you have a 4500 I would not upgrade to a 5000 as it only involves the smallest of pieces. The 5000 is better in Salt country on salt lakes but for this you need to run in salt mode with a DD and in cancel. This is a big advantage of the 5000 over the 4000
The best machine I have used for depth on 10gram + was the SD2200 with a 18" Mono. Still a great machine but does not handle the mineralization with a mono as does the GPX detectors.
These are my experiences which could differ from a lot of other detectorists.
Cheers

The 8" Mono nugget finder is good on small bits in shallow ground but will miss the deeper ones if there is depth.

Hi , I don,t have opinions on what coil one uses . Many variants on ground conditions and densities to un-natural and natural at anyone gold location. So how can you make an opinion on what coil is better than another ? I was trying to understand why you had problems from the topic of this post in reguard to not picking up surface species. never ran my gain on the gpx 4500 over 10 in the search process only when the quiet whisper amongst the ground chatter is heard. Then i clarify with a shallow moon shine and turn the gain up. Never heard of any mder in the world that can determine what a target is at depth .Big talk , Big coils and Big horse shoes . Most of the many dozens of goldies i know run both 4500 and 5000 at set frequency 100
tinpan

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread