Ebay for newbie resources

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I am about to attempt my first try at selling on eBay. I believe I have the basics down but I am sure I'm missing something.

Can anyone recommend web sites, books, etc, where I can get some good info? I guess I'm looking for some of the "tricks of the trade" so I don't lose money, blow a sale, or just plain mess up. I'll be starting our selling some older fishing and hunting equipment, coins, and some other small collectables.

I would have just asked here with everyone being so knowledgable but I need to do more research so my questions can be more specific here at TN.

Thanks, Paul.

oooldman

Feb 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Whites coinmaster, Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Other
You may not agree but almost everything I ever sold on Ebay I started at $.01 and with no reserve. My way of thinking was the "market" will set the price. If 2 or more people think the price is to low even if they dont want it they will bid. I never use buy it now price and on high dollar items I put on a 10 day sale starting on Thursday ending Sunday evening. If you are afraid you will lose money on the item then you can put whatever starting price you are comfortable with.

Rdunzl

Apr 15, 2013
Portland, Ore
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While I can't recommend a specific book to help, I'm happy to share a few thoughts on things I've learned. I'm sure
others will chime in. It's part of the beauty of this forum.
1. Figure out postage. Get a good scale. Priority boxes are free from the postal service.
2. Be brutally honest in your descriptions.
3. Take excellent photos.
4. Check here often. Lots of wisdom is dispensed here.
Good luck to you.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I agree, make sure you know your postage/weight/box dimensions first.

Sometimes, just jumping in with both feet can be the best learning experience there is.

Personally, I wouldn't start any 99 cent auctions, unless you don't care what it sells for in the end. If it is a desirable item on ebay, generally speaking, it will do okay.

When I was starting out, I bought a boat model kit for $20. They were selling for $80 to $100, so I started a 99 cent auction...and it sold for $41.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How to books would probably only give you the basics and you can get those here right now.

It's true, there's a lot of little things, but here are the big ones.

Get an idea of what your item is worth and what kind of demand there is. You can usually do this by searching completed listings. If it's a popular item you can likely list it low and let it go, but if that item doesn't get much for bids, and they seem to go through unsold at the price you want, you better protect yourself with a higher starting price. Considering the listing fee is only a quarter it makes good sense to try most everything with a higher start, unless you want the cash fast.

Next is the pics. You're not selling the item as it sits on your kitchen table, your selling the picture. I have literally made thousands of dollars simply taking an item from point A with a bad pic, to point B with a good pic. Obviously I have no idea the % I have made because of the difference in pic quality, but I can guarantee you without question it is in the thousands of $$$. I sell items where the quality makes a huge difference.

Figure out the best category, and if it works well in two spend the extra and double list it. This is more important when you list items low and let them go, and also if your page in general does not have much traffic. I have enough of a flow of people, with enough items listed in enough categories I don't need to double list, but for most who only do this part time it's often a good idea. Do give some thought to your subject line and use all the space.

PS: I'll give you a bonus one. Don't price (or think of) the item at what you believe it's worth, but what it could be worth to the one person who would pay the most. For a sale like that a high fixed price works well because of course you only need one buyer and not two bidders. All that said it's assuming you don't need the money fast. I'll also add I think people who write books on certain topics aren't necessarily an expert, they just know a bit, and want to make some money. I can't tell you how sick I am hearing about the book for the Explorer and the programs this, and the programs that... what a joke! All that book ever did was make things overcomplicated and give less performance out of the detector. And if there's two things I know in life it's the Minelab Explorer and Ebay! :)

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Ditto the advice on pictures and description. If you are in a store and considering buying an item, you will pick it up and examine it from all angles, right? Online buyers don't have that luxury. They must rely on your photos and your description to make a decision so be sure to post as many high-quality pics as needed to show the item from all perspectives. Disclose any defects in your description and be sure you have a photo that shows the defect. You will avoid a lot of trouble with disappointed buyers by doing this.

I have a process when trying to determine the proper price for my item. Here is how it works.

1. I search ebay for the same item. When I am satisfied I have a representative list, I click on the "Completed Listings" box and note the number of items.

2. Then I click on the "Sold Listings" box and note the number of items. I have found that the large majority of the time, the "sold" number will be about 40% - 50% of the "completed" number. Any percentage significantly less than that tells me the item is not in high demand and, therefore, may be difficult to sell. A percentage significantly higher than that means a highly desirable item and, usually a quick sale.

3. Then I click the "auction" box and scroll through the list noting how many bids there were. If I see that most items have multiple bids, that is a VERY good sign indicative of high demand. My experience has been that relatively few items are in such demand that there are multiple bids.

4. Then I look at the active listings, sorted on price low to high. When you list your item, this is your competition. Buyers are always looking for the best deal so if your items is priced WAY higher than most of the current listings, the chance of a sale drops way down. Of course, condition is critical so an honest appraisal of your item's condition compared to the others being listed is very important.

I may have more to add later but right now I am STARVING. Good luck. Experience is the best teacher and there are lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here that will be happy to answer questions and offer advice.

I have always believed that I learn more from my mistakes than my successes. So, here are a few mistakes I made early on

OP
OP
hunts with son

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
And I was only hoping for a few websites! Thank you all very much for the replies and info. I believe I have a good handle on price research, and I know to he very honest in descriptions. Photos are something I will need to figure out, I guess using my iPhone is not going to cut it LOL.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing I'll add to the great advice already.
The Ebay Discussion Boards are a great place to find answers to any "newbie" questions.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I was only hoping for a few websites! Thank you all very much for the replies and info. I believe I have a good handle on price research, and I know to he very honest in descriptions. Photos are something I will need to figure out, I guess using my iPhone is not going to cut it LOL.

I've only used my iPhone for photos so far - though I am a new ebayer. I would recommend photographing every angle of whatever it is you are trying to sell. Make sure to take numerous pictures of each angle you want to cover. When you go to upload your photos you may realize that one is blurry, part is out of the photo, or the lighting wasn't great. I recommend taking at least 3 photos per angle and then looking them over on your computer - full screen. If it's a key photo and you are not satisfied I'd highly recommend taking another picture. If it's a coin photo, for example, you want to show as many details (especially any wear/defects or lack there of) as possible. You'll want a neutral/solid background whenever possible to highlight your piece without any distraction. The exception to this would be to show a photos of the item in its actual environment. For example, taking a picture of the fishing equipment on a dock at a lake. Something like this is a smart marketing technique as it can make your item that much more appealing. If someone is looking for a good rod to go and fish their childhood spot and they are able to visual themselves at the lake with your rod (with help of such a photograph), well, I'd want to use it. I wouldn't do something like this necessarily with a new or "new without tags" item as it could give it a more used feel to the buyer.

Going back to the iPhone photographs. If you are unable to capture, for instance, a close up image of a coin without it being blurry: take a picture from as close as possible before it becomes blurry. Then use ebay's crop tool to cut out the dead space and center your item. If certain details still aren't shown, be sure to explain in depth what it is that is not shown. You cannot harm yourself by putting too much information. If a buyer receives an item and finds something wrong that wasn't mentioned, it could have a string of negative effects.

For pricing I research what similar items are selling for on ebay as well as new from retail. If you find someone selling an item almost exactly like yours, you may want to consider a way to get an edge over your competition. For instance, I sold a ring with interchangeable stones recently. There was a competitor with the same used product I had. The only difference was my box that came with the ring still had the foam insert while his did not. I could have priced mine higher because of this. Instead, I chose to compete with him directly with same price & same shipping costs (free). Mine sold and his is still for sale. Had his product been exactly the same as mine or slightly better, I'd have priced mine just under his. If he had a shipping cost of $3 (which it would cost me to ship also) I could just match his price and have offer free shipping. Had the item been a lot more valuable with low shipping costs (ex. a diamond ring) and I had a lot of competition, I'd probably want to list it as both free shipping and a lower cost as buyers can sort products by both of these specifications.

Other than price, the only real thing you'd have going for you is the main picture to draw them in. Make sure its a good one!

Sorry that I rambled on for a bit. This is just two cents coming from a fellow new ebayer, take what you so desire from it. Good luck in your sales!:icon_thumright:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

If you have an iPhone 4 or better, it will do the job.

My wife has a 4S, and 100% of the pictures we put on ebay are taken with her phone. We aren't taking pictures of large items, like cars and furniture though.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
We sometimes use my antique 3G for pics, but the 4S is much, much better.

When I got my 3G back 40 years ago(LOL), I was awed and amazed by the camera quality, and can't believe how much better the new iPhones are.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
hunts with son:

Some years ago I got the best eBay tip (so far) I've received - for many items (particularly books) a flat-bed scanner works much better than a camera.

Start small in the sense of your least-expensive items. If you have two that are similar, list the cheaper one first. Try to list similar items at the same time - browsers and bidders will look at your other items after they find one that looks interesting.

Keep in constant communication with your buyers once the auction closes! Message them just as soon as you can asking for payment. Acknowledge receipt of the payment and let them know when the item will be mailed. Let them know after the item is sent (which should always be the same or next business day). Many buyers won't respond - that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep them informed of every step along the way!

Package carefully! The biggest mistake a I see sellers make on eBay is crappy packaging.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
hunts with son

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
More great info, thanks all!!

My phone is a 4s so I'll try it first. I have used it with a small magnifier to take close ups of coins I sold to fellow TN'ers. The pics turned out good, but I need to work on the lighting.

OP
OP
hunts with son

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I thought I would ask a more specific question since I already have this thread When it comes to similar items, is grouping them together better or selling them as singles. Or does it matter on items being sold. ? Here are some of the lures I'll be selling. There are 5 similar and 3 similar. Out of the 5, 2 are the same color pattern but differing sizes. Out of the other 3 that are similar, 1 is smaller than the other two. Would I be better off selling separately, or by grouping then together?

Attachments

• image-962012480.jpg
    image-962012480.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 117

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I would ask a more specific question since I already have this thread When it comes to similar items, is grouping them together better or selling them as singles. Or does it matter on items being sold. ? Here are some of the lures I'll be selling. There are 5 similar and 3 similar. Out of the 5, 2 are the same color pattern but differing sizes. Out of the other 3 that are similar, 1 is smaller than the other two. Would I be better off selling separately, or by grouping then together?

Depends on what they're worth and what it costs to ship. If you know both of those numbers it should be an easy choice.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

What would you take for them if someone knocked on your door today, and wanted to buy them?

What are they worth on ebay in the completed listings?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If they aren't worth a whole lot, I'd probably sell them individually using "buy it now" and "accept best offer". You could price them slightly higher than you would want for them and then mention in your listings that you combine shipping and would accept offers on multiples grouped together. This is just one option, of course.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless a buyer pays immediately, I always send them an invoice. Ebay has a function for sending invoices so it is very easy. On the invoice form, there is a spot for adding a message. I have a standard invoice message that reads: "Thank you for your purchase. Your item will ship as soon as PayPal confirms payment." Ditto the advice on packaging - especially for fragile items. I scavenge boxes around town when I see them but, from time to time, I buy boxes in bulk from a company called Uline. Also, sometimes when scavenging boxes I find bubblewrap and styrofoam peanuts so I scavenge those too. Helps keep my shipping costs down.

Regarding photos... My wife and I have set up a little photo studio in the corner of our home office. She bought some photo lighting equipment for real cheap at an auction so our little studio is where we take most of our pictures. Before that, we had a hard time getting good quality photos indoors so most of our pictures were taken outside in natural light. Photos taken in natural light generally come out very well. Also, don't be afraid to adjust the brightness and contrast of your digital photos if they don't come out to your liking the first time around. You don't want to mislead buyers by adjusting colors to make something look better than it really is but there is no harm in adjusting a digital photo so it looks more like it does to the naked eye.

Last edited:

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is another little piece of unsolicited advice. This should be rather obvious but... If you buy things from garage sales and auctions, they are often dirty and dusty. Clean them up before taking photos. Of course, if you have a genuine antique, you don't want to mess with the patina. But, especially for non-antique stuff, clean it up. Just this morning I was cleaning up the Kitchen Aid mixer I bought this weekend. It looked pretty clean when I got it but today I turned it upside down and discovered the underside of the motor and the rotating disk had a lot of old food gunk that needed to be cleaned off. When I research things on ebay to determine my price, I am frequently surprised at how many times people list things that just look crappy because they haven't bothered to do a little basic cleaning.

This is something to take into account when buying things as well. A lot of yard sale operators don't bother to clean their stuff up and, I believe, this sometimes leads to items being under-priced. I have bought a lot of power tools that were greasy and dusty but there was no significant damage that I could find. I am sure a lot of sellers look at a grungy item and think it isn't worth much and I suspect a lot of buyers do the same. Of course, this isn't always the case. Just this past weekend, one yard-seller had a set of Ryobi cordless tools for sale. Brand new, they would probably sell in a retail store for $100 or maybe a little more. They were very dirty but worked fine. Problem was, the guy wanted $60 for them. Being used tools, that is probably about what I could sell them for and he wouldn't budge on the price so I passed. If the price is right, I am more than willing to buy a dirty, but otherwise solid, item and spend a few minutes making it look as good as possible before I take my listing photos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread