WWII German Items on Ebay

reapp

Nov 1, 2005
I recently purchased a deceased individuals collection of German WWII stuff, and I am confused about what can be listed on ebay. I basically thought that anything displaying a swastika was off limits, but after going through the closed sales, I see lots of stuff which I thought would be contraband. There seems to be a gray area. Does anyone have any input on this? For instance, would a sterling cigarette case with a very small heraldic eagle and SS be allowed?

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Offensive material policy

There ya go. check it out. It has NAZI link, and there is Allowed, Restricted, and non restricted categories that explain in detail.

Just be sure there is nothing offensive about what the item is. I mean there is a difference between a trench knife with SS, and an SS officer badge known to have links to concentration camps. You just have to be subjective in what you choose to list.

I bought a swastika Officer pin off of Ebay like 4 years ago with no hassle what so ever, so the policy seems to have SOME leniency. Just be careful of what you choose, maybe post here or another forum of what you plan to sell first to get some feedback and opinions on if it is acceptable to sell.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help on what items, but will say the words you use in the subject line will probably play a key role in whether your item gets flagged if it's in that grey area.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I have been told that there are people who are adamantly opposed to any Nazi item being listed on ebay, and will flag anything showing a swastika.

I've seen tons of listings where the seller put their thumb over the symbol, and posted pics that way, and then added "It's all there" in the description.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a C. Plath Sextant once on ebay that had a swastika on the sextant, top of the box and inspection papers in the box. I didn't use any wording like Nazi anywhere just Sextant from Germany under the military ww2 category. I got a message warning me that any swastika/Nazi related items are not to be sold or something like that?, but I let it ride for 3 days and it sold just fine to a fella in Norway. It could have easily been flagged, had been spotted.

OP
OP
R

reapp

Nov 1, 2005
Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to list some items, and just be careful in the wording....No SS, Nazi, etc. Basically keep it vague, and let the pictures do the talking.

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should not have a real big problem. As long as you have no other problems with Ebay, they will just give you a slap on the wrist and take down the listing if it is bad. I know at times it is possible to get suspended, but that seems quite easy to do these days anyway.

Good luck to you.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose if they pull it, put your thumb or piece of paper over the image and relist.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose if they pull it, put your thumb or piece of paper over the image and relist.
You can try but I wouldn't, not right after they pulled the item. Besides technically you are not allowed to do that-

Not allowed-
  • Listings where images are edited or cropped to try to hide Nazi markings or insignia

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot of coins are sold with the swashtica on them.

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nazi coins are technically not Nazi paraphernalia, they are considered currency. Coins and Currency are a totally different category.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
Some folks get away with it some don't. I'm a member of the later group. The last time I listed a WW2 medal with a swastika ( blurred ) on the back I recieved an email a week later saying basically you got away with this one, don't do it again or we will kick you out. No more Nazi WW2 stuff for me.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess some folks believe rule are meant to be broken. Just take a look on ebay at all the high prices on faux ivory. Your good some say until you get caught. Personally I don't think I'd deal on Nazi stuff with ebay ever again and I only did it once. I'd look for other avenues to sell that kind of thing.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess some folks believe rule are meant to be broken. Just take a look on ebay at all the high prices on faux ivory. Your good some say until you get caught. Personally I don't think I'd deal on Nazi stuff with ebay ever again and I only did it once. I'd look for other avenues to sell that kind of thing.
I agree about the faux ivory stuff. I know a guy that does that. I also agree on finding another avenue to sell any Nazi related items that are not allowed on Ebay. There are plenty of other avenues. I was watching a helmet yesterday that had a swastika on one side, guess what? they pulled it. I pm'd the op couple days ago and told him I may be interested in some or all the items, but he hasn't answered me, so best of luck to him. Keep on trying to sell Nazi items with swastikas on ebay, you won't last long.

Last edited:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
You can try but I wouldn't, not right after they pulled the item. Besides technically you are not allowed to do that-

Not allowed-
  • Listings where images are edited or cropped to try to hide Nazi markings or insignia

Interesting...I didn't know that.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you do list it, I would love to see a link.....Or if the Mods dont allow that, Maybe give me your name to find you on Ebay...I dabble WWII German Items

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Question - What are some good sites to sell WWII Nazi items like medals? I have some.

I got the email from ebay when I tried to list a very valuable and rare German medal that had the swastikas on it. Did make any difference that the medal had also been awarded to Charles Lindberg and Henry Ford.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread