Edward J. Cornish Estate COLD SPRING, N.Y.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
One of the great collections of ruins in the Hudson Valley lies on publicly-accessible land. Although the layout of property is well-known to hikers, the early history of the estate is nearly unknown to historians. In 1917, Edward Joel Cornish and his wife Selina Bliss Carter Cornish acquired 650 acres in Cold Spring from Sigmund Stern of Chicago. What is known is that the mansion, garage, swimming pool, gardens and other outbuildings stood at that time of purchase by Cornish, having been built by this Sigmund Stern. The original appearance of these structures is uncertain as local historians are not aware of any known images of the estate before it fell into ruin.
Fantastic pictures at ..........
http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/yasinsac/cornish/cornish1.html

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
According to several accounts, there is very little information available about the estate, but the estate was built around the early 1900s, was acquired by Edward J. Cornish and his wife around 1920, appears to have been abandoned around the mid-30s, and the main building was destroyed by fire in 1956.

What remains of the estate is several large buildings, including what must once have been an incredible greenhouse, a large, manmade dam, a variety of outbuildings, swimming pool, dairy barn, and several beautiful streams and small waterfalls.

Attachments

• 1cornish estate dairy ruins.jpg
    1cornish estate dairy ruins.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 2,889
  • CORNISH-03.jpg
    CORNISH-03.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,254
  • CORNISH-04.jpg
    CORNISH-04.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 2,119

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Wouldn't that be a great site to metal detect?

I tried doing a newspaper archival search...to no avail...was hoping ... just maybe... there would be something about that estate...oh well...maybe someday all the papers will be available and something will come of it.

All I found was articles on his death...he died in his office of heart disease. (1938)

I would think that somewhere in the NY Archives, there would have to be some information on this land, the house, etc....

Love your postings....gets me back into my genealogy mode!!! :) (I get burnt out from time to time in researching)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
this is in Bergies neck of the woods. perhaps he knows a little of the history of the place.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Yes, I've been there. It's up on a hill overlooking the Hudson. Seems there's a lot of junk there from hikers. I do recall detecting it years ago. I may have gone during the summer when it was overgrown. Probably worth going back in the Spring or Fall and checking it out. Not sure if it's posted with signs or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread