Old Books about New Jersey

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Researching the archives on FORGOTTEN TOWNS...I keep running across book titles that folks have written about towns that are no longer here...so I thought as I go through these archives, I would list the books and the date it was mentioned in the paper...don't know if they would be available or how hard they would be find....but might be interesting to some, especially those who love the history as well as finding a LOST PLACE to detect.....Happy Reading!

Books about New Jersey:

"Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey" by Henry C. Back. The first of Mr. Back's books about New Jersey and deals with forgotten places in "The Pines" region of this state. (Hopewell Hearld; Hopewell, New Jersey; 6 March 1940)

Note about Henry C. Beck:

Henry C. Beck is a former newspaperman and editor of the Rutgers University Press. He has authored several books on New Jersey folklore and forgotten towns in the pine belt of the state.

I'll add more as I find more....happy reading!
Annmarie

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
Ron & Ann,

Thanks for posting "Forgotten Towns". Its a great book. I've read it a few times. Unfortunately a few of these towns are within the Warton Track of the Pine lands preserve, hence; no MD,ing. There are some opportunities available but some of the sites are completely lost to time. The exact locations are not even known. I've spent the past couple of years researching an old stage stop in the Clayton/Glassboro area with very little success. Its difficult at best. I'll check my library as well. I have several books that my be of interest to N.J. members as well. Maybe we can compare notes.

Jim

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dear Ron and Ann,

i have the books and can tell you that theres allot the woods in NJ.

i live in bayville and have found some spots and the rewords are great . i place old maps down on a lighted table and put new maps on top of them and find the spots OK . the woods eat everything up . sometimes you can be standing in a old forgoten town and never even know it ,. pm me and i will share some if you live in my area ...................Alfonso

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
pinebarrens1 said:
dear Ron and Ann,

I have the books and can tell you that theres allot the woods in NJ.

i live in bayville and have found some spots and the rewords are great . i place old maps down on a lighted table and put new maps on top of them and find the spots OK . the woods eat everything up . sometimes you can be standing in a old forgoten town and never even know it ,. pm me and i will share some if you live in my area ...................Alfonso

You can also do the same thing using the image overly feature in Google Earth. Rutgers has a great historic map collection that you can download maps from.

I am posting a sample of an overlay I did in my area.

Let me know if you need any help.

Attachments

• Map Overlay.JPG
    Map Overlay.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 246

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
Thanks Neil. I wasn't sure those maps were available on line. Have to ck it out. They my be of some use trying to track some stage routes I've been researching.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread