Egg-Shaped Stone (Any Idea?)

islabucasgrande

Greenie
Jun 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow THunters!

egg-shaped-stone.jpg egg-shaped-stone-2.jpg egg-shaped-stone-3.jpg egg-shaped-stone-4.jpg
I would like to present our new finds. There are a number of them that we fortunately found inside an urn. We found these and a few green marbles (about 1 inch in diameter) inside a deep cave. I have taken snapshots of this perfectly egg-shaped stone which emits a glittering texture. I would like to know what these are since they are much heavier than the weight of a chicken egg.

I hope you will help me find out what is it or perhaps give me an idea about its value.

Regards,

Isla

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Isla,

Welcome to the forums & thanks for showing your stone egg. Farmers in the 19th Century would use glass or stone "eggs" to help induce chickens to lay.

eggs.jpg

"I discovered that glass eggs were very common in the mid-nineteenth century. On the farm the plain white eggs had several uses: they were placed in an outside nest (usually on the ground) to encourage the hen to lay in the same place (so the farmer could easily find the eggs), and inside the coop they were placed in the nesting box to help induce a hen to begin laying eggs." Antique Eggs in the Old Barn | Mule Springs

941420_517577834957258_135141511_n.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

islabucasgrande

Greenie
Jun 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your insights guys. I was just wondering why something glitters in the second layer of the stone and why it weighs heavier than the ordinary stone of its kind.

Looking to hear from others. Thanks!

Isla

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree on the fake eggs in the nest, but I think what you have is a darning egg. I remember my aunt especially and my mom some what, darning socks. We weren't always a throw away society. My school socks had the holes darned. They would use the egg to hold the hole open and sew the thread into a weave to close the hole up. I remember my aunt coming to visit, and she'd be sitting there darning socks while she visited. Idle hands are the work of the Devil don't cha know. darning sock.jpg Darning eggs were also made of wood and glass, but mom's and my aunt's were made of pink granite.

Upvote 0

HammerHead

Jun 5, 2013
Scotland, UK
Detector(s) used
Viking
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read a few things on stone eggs from ancient times including some being found in digs. They were used for meditation and healing in fact I believe I have a link saved somewhere I will do my best to find it. I do believe in ancient times they were made for healing and the helping of others as most ancient cultures saw the egg as birth and fertility and so on, this is the only link I can find just now, if I find the other I will post it but I hope it helps in your research and you can get more from it... Ancient Stone Egg Found in Farmer's Field! - Journal - Bosnian Pyramid

Upvote 0

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
They look like weathered marble and I have two exactly like these and I don't remember how I got them but they must be modern .... or are they ? . I even have two glass eggs I inherited that I know are 19th century . These are stone and can't be carbon dated and well then it's going to be darn near impossible to tell their authenticity . And seeing as they are made for tourists and sold in many traps worldwide and maybe even Pier 1 it's anyone's guess if they are ancient or Modern . IMHO , Woodstock

Upvote 0

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another use for these eggs. My grandfather used to make them from plaster of paris, and would put them in the nests for chicken snakes. Chicken snakes do not eat chickens, but they do swallow eggs. If a snake were to swallow a stone egg, it would not be able to pass it through it's digestive system and the snake would die. They actually work quite well. We used the same idea when we raised pigeons as a child.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread