Eight rings and two pendants in twelve foot stretch of beach!!

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Hi everyone, Two days ago my dad and I decided it was time for our first spring hunt.I live in maine and most everything is still frozen so the beach is the place for a tune up.We drove about 50 min. to the coast and had a good time,not a really great yield of coins but fun all the same as we've both been chomping at the bit for a few months now.My dad got a few clad coins and a couple mem. pennies. I got two mems. four wheats a clad dime a musket ball and the best find of the day a 1927 merc! My first time out and I snagged a nice piece of silver and drew first blood, the one up on my buds.
Today we decided we should go back to the same area as the other day and do a different stretch of beach.We got there and my first hit on the beach was a wheat penny,thats always a good sign although it was barely identifiable.A few minutes later my dad shouts silver! It was an 1898 barber dime,well worn but still a barber ;D!I was going around to the other side of the cove picking up a newer coin here and there and my dad shouts silver again! A 1953 rosie this one was in better shape but alot newer.I said you son of gun now you got the one up on me,but I was really smiling inside cause it tickles me to know he's so happy.
The tide was coming in now and we were working our way back toward the car getting ready to leave when my dad said "see that little stretch of beach over there,didn't we always cut across and go right by it?" I agreed and we decide we should try it as it was only a small section.My dad got ahead of me a little and stayed down closer to the water as I went up the center and within a few swings I got a good hit I dug it up,I yelled silver ring! I walked over and showed it to him.I walked back,rechecked the hole and around it and about a foot and a half away got another hit it was another ring again I yelled.This kept happening and in total I picked up eight rings and two pendants,all were silver and some had gold plated stars.
We headed back to the car puzzling our puzzlers as to the reason behind this and could only come up with some sort of witchcraft.I told my dad if we make it home from here with no major incidents then I'll have to assume that they're not cursed and he just gave me a funny look out of the corner of his eye.
So,any Ideas? They all have pentagrams on them and they were all (except the pendants) in a straight line at around a forty five deg. angle across the beach and within a foot and a half from each other.The two pendants were about a foot to the right of the rest and the highest up on the beach.All were in about five inches.I did set a new personal record for rings in one day and it's also a record with my buds so I'm happy!
Well, I hope you've enjoyed my short novel and any info you have would be appreciated!! Thanks Bootstrap

Attachments

• MVC-541S.JPG
    MVC-541S.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,679
  • MVC-539S.JPG
    MVC-539S.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,678
  • MVC-540S.JPG
    MVC-540S.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,677
  • MVC-542S.JPG
    MVC-542S.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,672
  • MVC-543S.JPG
    MVC-543S.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,659
  • MVC-544S.JPG
    MVC-544S.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,663
  • MVC-545S.JPG
    MVC-545S.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,645
  • MVC-546S.JPG
    MVC-546S.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,645
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jewish gathering? ::)

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
:o NOT JEWISH...OMG those are pentagrams. Witches coven meeting/ritual on the beach?? Dude....be careful.

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They all got naked and placed their jewelry on a blanket or towel. The wind kicked up and spilled them into the sand and covered them up. See, don't have to be anything more sinester than a (semi)normal gathering. ;D

Still, I'd double check the rest of the pentagram shape very carefully for any slightly deeper/different metal jewelry.

A

absalon

I think you will be OK as long as you didn't find 13 rings. Otherwise, you would have been SCREWED! :o :o :o :o :o

Nice digs and hope you and Dad keep on getting the good stuff!

Scott

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds for the day!! GOTTA love silver... Pack a .45 on the next hunt and witches will need serious matrix-style voo-doo to dodge that bullet ;)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps they wore a good many of the rings themselves or put everyone in the group's jewelry together on a beach towel, then someone shook out the towel and the rings went flying!

Buckleboy

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pentagrams are associated with protection, those were probably left for a reason. Maine actually has a huge wicca following.
I just wouldn't want to be there after dark! shucks never mind think that only applies to virgins.

really odd finds, I bet the story behind it is a good one.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Spooky!
But in a good way. Boo! :o

Nice and unusual find!

Ridley

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Well, I had it all figured out until I saw the pics!!

Being a Maine beach hunter of many, many years, I learned a lot about "classification". This is what sometimes occurs on beaches and may be associated with storms. It happens that, for some reason, "LIKE" objects can end up congregating in the same vicinity. I have experienced this many times myself . I found 6 gold rings and 1 silver ring in an area once, and as I followed the line away from that spot over the next 2 weeks, I picked up another 14 gold rings.. My buddy found 9 silver rings in a small area once. Mine were basically all about the same size and weight. His 9 were all small rings and most were of the "knot style".

This same thing has happened to us with coins as well. There have been times when we have gone down after strong tides and have found that the coins are classified by denomination. We have had times when quarters were washed up higher than nickels and they were higher than pennies and they were higher than dimes. So, If you only wanted to pick up quarters, you just stayed in that line, for an example. I wanted it all, so I mined all the lines. And at other times all denominations were in the same line,( by line, I mean "running paralell with the beach ).

In order to find the "line" , I would walk a fairly tight zigzag pattern, digging targets as I went. At some point, I would take a look at where I had dug and then just "MINE THE LINE". A guy used to come down with his detector and follow us around. He would walk these long lazy zigzags. I, in turn, would then just line up all of his digs and "MINE THE LINE". He never seemed to notice what I was doing, and of course, I never stopped to explain it to him. OH! , And there can be several lines along the beach at any given time.

On one occassion, we went down to the beach after a ripping gale. We set about collecting coins from a notch in the lower part of the slope. I was digging a target when I noticed something I had never seen before. Up near the area furthest from the water, I could see several round objects sticking up out of the sand. I went to see what they were and it blew my mind. Silver half dollars were standing straight up, half way out of the sand, like the wave action had caused this to happen. My buddy and I were running along looking and harvesting a nice little crop of what were mostly Walking Liberty halves.

On another outing, after high winds had blown aross the dry sand for a few days, we went along picking coins right off the top of the little pedestals of sand. Didn't even need a detector!

Getting back to your finds though, it would seem that they were more than likely placed there by an individual. They are most likely Wiccan, although the pendant with the celtic weave border has the star standing correctly,and I think the pentagram for witches is upside down. I may be wrong on this.

Nice batch of finds!!!!..........HH

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is spooky. Nice bunch of rings. I found a bunch of rings while hunting an old ball park. There was a lot of coins with them too. All I could figure out was that someone stole the itmes from a jewelry store and buried the loot and never came back to get them. Of course maybe he did come back, but some nut with a metal detector beat him to the punch:)

HH, Ringfinder

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting! I wouldn't worry about it, my friend had a passing interest in Wiccan arts during college and they focused on helping, not hurting. Some of the rings are pitted which makes me think they were from a gathering a long time ago, probably buried during some ritual.
I do really like the beating of the goth kid theory! :D

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Bootstrap,

Glad you and your dad got out, buddy. Its been an awfully long winter in Maine.

That is one cool story, and the weirdest find I've heard of since I've been visiting the forum.

My take on this is that its a clear sign that your MD finds to date are cursed. My suggestion would be to send them as far away from you as possible (especially that three-cent coin....that one looks REALLY cursed). As you know, I live in CA. I think this would be far enough away to protect you. I'll send you my address....

MP

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice to see the weather in Maine has broke and your able to get out. Nice story also, but the finds are very interesting...........HH

WTG The Seeker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread