Eldorado and µmax questions

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eldorado small box is not µmax so what is going on inside that's different in a µmax [any model] machine? I missed out on a Eldorado recently because I'd never heard of it and it sold before i got back to the owner. Looked like i would like it after a little research. i guess the Outlaw would be the closest new epsilon model? i have a compadre and golden µmax now, so pretty well covered for now.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eldorado small box is not µmax so what is going on inside that's different in a µmax [any model] machine? I missed out on a Eldorado recently because I'd never heard of it and it sold before i got back to the owner. Looked like i would like it after a little research. i guess the Outlaw would be the closest new epsilon model? i have a compadre and golden µmax now, so pretty well covered for now.

I have the Eldorado plastic, I view it as a 5 pin Vaquero. Awesome machine, quiet, deep, stable. If I could only have one Tesoro, it would be a tossup between the Eldorado and Vaquero.

I hate the Outlaw I have so I can't render an unbiased opinion....

OP
OP
nagant

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. If it was epsilon the Vaquero would be my next buy, but i have three ε coils now.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like 'em..

Eldorado is/was a very good Tesoro. For some reason though, they just weren't called a μMAX, but "Eldorado Plastic" to differentiate it from the earlier Eldorado. The Plastic Eldo has good depth, but they're still not quite as deep as Vaquero. They do have the "ED-180" discrimination and a convenient toggle for all-metal, something that Vaquero could use..

Don't know why Steve hates his Outlaw so.. Swap for somethin', Steve? :hello:

OP
OP
nagant

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guy's, i think i need one:happysmiley:. off to Fort Jackson south Carolina for my Grandson's graduation from basic, proud of him but 1000 miles oh joy. He made E2 and hasn't graduated yet, some young man.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eldorado is/was a very good Tesoro. For some reason though, they just weren't called a μMAX, but "Eldorado Plastic" to differentiate it from the earlier Eldorado. The Plastic Eldo has good depth, but they're still not quite as deep as Vaquero. They do have the "ED-180" discrimination and a convenient toggle for all-metal, something that Vaquero could use..

Don't know why Steve hates his Outlaw so.. Swap for somethin', Steve? :hello:

I think I covered why the Outlaw should be "fixed"; another indication Tesoro has no engineers.
:occasion14:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know it's not perfect..

I think I covered why the Outlaw should be "fixed"; another indication Tesoro has no engineers.
:occasion14:

..but I still enjoy the Outlaw for the main reason I wanted it; discrimination. It does have superior discrimination in trash, especially in small iron, and better depth than most of the older 5 pin Tesoros. While I prefer using my Bandidos in trash (mostly 'cause of audio tone), my Outlaw's disc is arguably even cleaner, and I think it's deeper.

I just live with what we consider the Outlaw's "quirks", and find it to be a very effective detector when I use it.

Happy 4th to everyone, BTW! :occasion14:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..but I still enjoy the Outlaw for the main reason I wanted it; discrimination. It does have superior discrimination in trash, especially in small iron, and better depth than most of the older 5 pin Tesoros. While I prefer using my Bandidos in trash (mostly 'cause of audio tone), my Outlaw's disc is arguably even cleaner, and I think it's deeper.

I just live with what we consider the Outlaw's "quirks", and find it to be a very effective detector when I use it.

Happy 4th to everyone, BTW! :occasion14:

Agree. My expectations were too much for the no motion all metal, unstable, settings drift. Wonder what would be involved with a no motion, autotune, auto threshold "fix" for it to account for the slow/temp/freq/battery drift? I'm not an engineer though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread