Electrolysis Question

gibsondan

Nov 15, 2008
I have an electrolysis tank set up in my garage. I have been using it to restore antique cast iron skillets. Will it clean copper, silver and clad coins? I should just try it and see for myself, but I don't want to harm any coins.

Here's a photo of my setup:

2874484060_daff7a8c45.jpg

I wouldn't use electrolysis on coins.

Just iron.

Clad is best cleaned in a tumbler-- pennies separate from clad.

Copper coins, peroxide if needed.

Silver, just water and a camel's hair brush while the water is running to wash away the dirt. If they are Badly oxidized and aren't rare dates, perhaps baking soda rub--BUT it will reduce them to practically melt value to do so.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

BuckleBoy said:
I wouldn't use electrolysis on coins.

Just iron.

Clad is best cleaned in a tumbler-- pennies separate from clad.

Copper coins, peroxide if needed.

Silver, just water and a camel's hair brush while the water is running to wash away the dirt. If they are Badly oxidized and aren't rare dates, perhaps baking soda rub--BUT it will reduce them to practically melt value to do so.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Excellent answer!

Man that is one fine tank...you could clean a manhole cover in that thing!!

I have used this setup to clean a lot of silver coins, and I think it'd work just fine. I have never been able to see any difference in the surface of the cleaned coin (even under magnification), but I am not a professional coin grader...

STDevil said:
Man that is one fine tank...you could clean a manhole cover in that thing!!

If it's a rare, highly collectible manhole cover, then I will clean 'er up! lol. It does an outstanding job on cast iron skillets. Thanks everyone for the tips on cleaning coins.

I made an electrolysis last night using a folgers can, much like floaters, I had found something that looked like a coin but ended up being a metal tab from an electrical metal gang box. it was very heavily corroded. I am using a 5v .5amp cell phone charger. It seemed to work very well. just took about 3 or 4 hours. There was pitting but I think it was from the corrosion and not the electrolysis. So on coins can you use electrolysis first and then peroxide the coins or should you go all peroxide? Plus my peroxide dosent stay hot very long and all I have is a microwave. I dont currently have access to other heating methods. Any suggestions?

ACrisp1982 said:
I made an electrolysis last night using a folgers can, much like floaters, I had found something that looked like a coin but ended up being a metal tab from an electrical metal gang box. it was very heavily corroded. I am using a 5v .5amp cell phone charger. It seemed to work very well. just took about 3 or 4 hours. There was pitting but I think it was from the corrosion and not the electrolysis. So on coins can you use electrolysis first and then peroxide the coins or should you go all peroxide? Plus my peroxide dosent stay hot very long and all I have is a microwave. I dont currently have access to other heating methods. Any suggestions?

If they are copper coins, I would first wet the coin (no rubbing) and then use Q-tips (also wet) and roll one over the surface of the coin. The dirt will come off. When you're able to see a date, then you can decide if the patina looks stable enough to use peroxide, or if you even need peroxide.

If you do use peroxide, check the coin frequently. If the detail starts to flake away, then stop.

Some folks use a potpourri warmer with a candle underneath it to heat the peroxide and keep it hot.

I use a microwave too--and it works just fine. Just use fresh peroxide and drop the coin back in for a second round if it needs it.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Yea i tried the peroxide thing for about an hour and it didnt get very far. put a 1999 lincoln penney in and waited. It boiled for about 20 minutes and the solution cooled and stopped. I am dealing with alot of beach corrosion. Part of one of the penneys was boiled up from inside the cent. It was like you stuck a needle into it and blew it up like a metal balloon.

BuckleBoy said:
ACrisp1982 said:

If they are copper coins, I would first wet the coin (no rubbing) and then use Q-tips (also wet) and roll one over the surface of the coin. The dirt will come off. When you're able to see a date, then you can decide if the patina looks stable enough to use peroxide, or if you even need peroxide.

If you do use peroxide, check the coin frequently. If the detail starts to flake away, then stop.

Some folks use a potpourri warmer with a candle underneath it to heat the peroxide and keep it hot.

I use a microwave too--and it works just fine. Just use fresh peroxide and drop the coin back in for a second round if it needs it.

Regards,

Buckleboy

ACrisp1982 said:
Yea i tried the peroxide thing for about an hour and it didnt get very far. put a 1999 lincoln penney in and waited. It boiled for about 20 minutes and the solution cooled and stopped. I am dealing with alot of beach corrosion. Part of one of the penneys was boiled up from inside the cent. It was like you stuck a needle into it and blew it up like a metal balloon.

Yeah, the best method for clad coins is a tumbler.

Peroxide would be to expensive over hundreds of coins to use on all of them. We mainly use it for the older copper coins we find.

I don't know how a zinc (post-1982) cent would react. :-\

Best Wishes,

Buckles

BuckleBoy said:
ACrisp1982 said:

Yeah, the best method for clad coins is a tumbler.

Peroxide would be to expensive over hundreds of coins to use on all of them. We mainly use it for the older copper coins we find.

I don't know how a zinc (post-1982) cent would react. :-\

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Which I do not have access to. I am maininly using the penney for learning the different methods since I am extremly new at cleaning. I think i just need to go into baking soda and an old toothbrush.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back