Elevators 101

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on elevators all day long and my day is constantly delayed by people who still don't quite get how they operate. So here's a helpful PSA on the subject.

- Before you enter an elevator, decide if YOU want to go up or down. If you want to go up, press the UP button. DOWN for down. DO NOT press the UP or DOWN button based on where you think the elevator is. Example (this happens often) a person on the 10th floor who wants to go down presses the UP button because they want the elevator to come up to get them...wrong!

- Most elevators have buttons that light up once they're pressed. If the button you want to press is already lit YOU DON'T HAVE TO PRESS IT AGAIN.

- Repeatedly pressing a lit button DOES NOT make the elevator come faster.

- Most elevators have clear indicators which floor you have stopped on. PAY ATTENTION! There should be no confusion about which floor you are exiting onto.

- Most multiple elevator lobbies indicate very clearly which direction the stopped elevator is going. PAY ATTENTION! Don't just get on any elevator that stops. If you're going down, watch for the indicator that the stopped elevator is going down.

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doncha luv it! Dont have to mess with em very often anymore. Every 6 months for my blood draw!

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another rule that is often ignored; When the elevator doors open, allow people to exit before you enter.

Best,
Scott

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU24K said:
Another rule that is often ignored; When the elevator doors open, allow people to exit before you enter.

Best,
Scott

YES!! Big pet peeve of mine. Thanks Scott!

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Elevators are the main reason short people weigh less.
They can only reach the 3rd floor button and have to get off and walk up the stairs the rest of the way.
They do get to ride down though.

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kenley said:
Elevators are the main reason short people weigh less.
They can only reach the 3rd floor button and have to get off and walk up the stairs the rest of the way.
They do get to ride down though.

Is it PC to say 'short people'

you must belong to the tea party!!!!!!! ;D

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your knott in Texas, where are you?
Yes I subscribe to Tea Party principles, but I couldn't spell the other word for short people. I couldn't make it look right. Midget ? Still doesn't look right.
Of course, I am blind in one eye and can't hear out of the other.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Some other elevator information:

If two people are in an elevator and one of them passes gas, EVERYBODY knows who did it.

Every wonder why no one talks in an elevator ( most of the time)?

All species have a safety zone where they feel safe or threatened depending on how close another person or animal is to that zone. For humans it is 3 to 4 feet. Folks feel uncomfortable when that zone is occupied by strangers.

If you watch a group of people standing around, look to see how far apart they are standing from each other. Some very interesting observations can be had.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a short people. And just for your information, most of us have elevator shoes in our closets for those days when we expect to be riding one. Geeeezzzz........tall folks sure have a hard time connecting the dots sometimes! Must be all that bad air way up there? :laughing7:

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
The elevators at my local hospital have a door on both sides of it. :BangHead: I've been in other elevators that say ground floor instead of 1st floor! That can become confusing! :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread