Eleven Jones Cave

izzitcat

May 13, 2008
Louisville,Ky.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger/White's Classic5ID
Anyone ever heard of Eleven Jones Cave in Louisville? The story goes :

On the south fork of Beargrass Creek which runs through Louisville, is a cavern known as Eleven Jones Cave. A legend over 125 yrs. old tells the story of this treasure site. The Jones brothers were scoundrels who specialized as highway men, bank- robbers, counterfeiters, and cutthroat killers during the 1830s. There were 11 gang members in all. The Eleven Jones gang used a cave on Beargrass Creek as their hideout. In this cave they carved out eleven manmade rooms in which they stored their ill-gotten gains, consisting of silver plates, gold, and jewelry. Some of the rooms served as heir living quarters. Finally the Joneses died or just disappeared, leaving their treasure to the first adventuresome cave explorer who might find it. Since the big rooms in the cave have never been found, it is presumed that they were sealed by a collapse of the cave roof. An army saber, dating to the 1830s was found in the cave in 1949. Old pistols, coins, and brass buttons from Confederate uniforms have been found as recently as 1956. No report of the treasure's being found can be learned, although several stories of the cave and its fabulous hoard have been written.

Personal note: I've personally been to this "cave" if you will and it definately shows signs of a cave-in or roof collapse. You can't really go too far in although there are definite signs of manmade carved out shelf areas by the floor of the cave. I ran my detector around the outside area but didn't find anything. I'm going back sometime soon and do some extensive searching inside and out. I haven't taken a detector inside yet so it's all gonna be new. If you don't know exactly where to look you can walk right by the thing and never know it which isn't hard to believe because the entrance is fairly small. It's going to be a couple of weeks or so before I do this. I'll post up when I do. Wish me luck!

izzitcat

K

Kentucky Kache

I think I posted the story on here many moons ago. It would be in "Treasure Leads" if I did.

toolman61

May 31, 2008
Good luck on your hunt! I hope you find some goodies. Sounds like you had better take a couple of shovels, be safe and HH Tom

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see the thread is a few months old.I would like to say though to ( Please use caution ),if you enter this cavern.I personally have videod this cavern to as far possible as i could go.There is a old newspaper article about the Eleven Jones cave from 1912 and the guy that wrote the story carved his name in the cavern walls to show where he made it to.I found his carving and this is as far as i made it.There is a cemetary above the hill of the cavern and alot of stuff has fell into the pathway towards the back.i also crawled into a part that had alot of water and that is where i turned back.We found several relics but nothing really proving to be from the story.
There is a old ball park on down the creek which actually turned out to be the best place to be for us,as we dug many silver coins and many bottles from a old bottle dump.This has been many years ago,but alot of good memories.
Nova Hunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread