Need some help from more intelligent civil war buffs PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok first of all me and trashedtiger have been hitting this same spot now for 4-5 months off and on depending on when we can get off. There was a battle here at the site and we have found some items but still cannot seem to find the campground ??? We have found 3 fortifications or indentions in the ground and have only found 2 drops one being a pistol. AND 10 billion iron signals including square nails,bolts,spikes,weird shaped pieces of iron etc..... Can someone please help us and tell us what to look for in finding where these soldiers camped. The Site is on a creek with lots of swamp and pleanty of thick brush..I think that we are right on top of it but there is so much land there its hard to pinpoint exactly and me and him are newbees at the camp site thing so we are going by tnet and some commen sense, but like I say anymore info would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Thanks and HH

Upvote 0

mobrigade

Feb 23, 2005
Missouri
I have found that typically when trying to locate a camp (at least a large one), finding the areas loaded with iron is a VERY good sign. You may want to either start pulling the iron out and listening for good signals or alter the discrimination on your detector. Just my two cents...good luck!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is only iron left, then this site may have been hit Hard in the past. I've usually found that campsites were in lowlying areas, unless they were defensive camps--in which case they were on high ground.

-Buckleboy

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if it was a long term site --look for indents frm huts if they built them --other wize draw a map of your known spots --look at the map -- see where it would be logical to place your tents --normally the highest ground around to prevent sleeping in water should it rain . --good luck --Ivan

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
If it was me, I was would grid off about a 15 ft square and dig all the iron out! If you start getting some good targets or you eyeball some good non-metallic artifacts, then you got it!

All that iron will mask your good targets and at least gridding off the square and checking it out will give you an idea of what might be there!

If it was me, I would grid my square where 1. I had found a few good targets within a few feet of each other or 2. the heaviest iron metal concentration!

I have some nice stove pieces. I once found an intact side panel which has the manufacturer's name, patent no. and the date: 1880!

Good luck!
Cavers5

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cavers5 said:
If it was me, I was would grid off about a 15 ft square and dig all the iron out! If you start getting some good targets or you eyeball some
Cavers5

This is true, if the iron you describe is Big Iron. What I thought you were saying was that this was nails and small ferrous. Stove pieces and Big Iron are NOT the sign of a CW campsite. Lots of nails, bolts, and spikes, however, are.

You will not be finding stove pieces in CW camps, most likely. And if someone hit it hard before, the only think left will be the iron. The confluence of two events: 1. You found an iron patch of the right type of iron AND 2. You found CW "drops" there

These seem to say that you are in the camp, but it was hit before.

-Buckleboy

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
BB,

I'm of the opinion that if the campsite had more permanent structures, such as huts or shanties (perhaps the indentations and/or the fortifications?), then they would have used one or more stoves, IF they could acquire them.

The stoves do not have to be cast iron. If I remember correctly, and I could be wrong, troops often carried Sibleys (sp?) with them. I think these were made of tin and of course, would rust up bigtime over the years. Perhaps, Matthew, this could account for your odd-shaped iron?

Also, troops are renowned for commandeering houses or other buildings as their headquarters. These structures were often burned upon leaving the area. This would be an example of where you might would find larger stove pieces in addition to transient camp relics.

Matthew, have you measured those indentations?

Cavers5

Cavers5

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The pits are probably 10-12 feet wide by 10-15 foot long and they are cut in a horseshoe shap, and there are only 3 of them. We have tried to detect in them but our room is limited due to alot of brush. See this is my situation and the history from what we have reasearched. The creek seperates to counties. the creek was used to transport slaves from washington to the plantation about 1/4 of a mile where the site is, in which we dont have permission to hit. Well on this creek where the boats would dock to realese slaves there was a road built a very high enbankment which can still very clearly be seen, that would strecth about 3 miles, as well as an old cotton gin and a mill. The confederates would use this road to transport goods and injured or sick soldiers to a hospital on the pitt county side. The "battle" only lasted for 45 minutes with over 1000 men and 150 horses involved. We are digging lots of iron signals, some odd iron, and like I say nails and what not. But have found some more promiseing things as well 3 Canister shells,axe head, drops, pics are on todays finds. But with 1000 MEN there should be S**T everywhere besides iron, and like you all say it could be below the iron I am allmost 90% certain that this site has never been hit to teriblly hard b/c the same man has owned it for the past 45 years andhe is funny about who he lets on his property he only lets people on it that he can trust. Here is a link check this out as well:

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Matthew,

Thank you very much for the information. Both of you have obviously done some wonderful research.

However, and I'm sure BB would agree with me on this...post as much artifact information that you want, but please don't post site location data.

Tnet members are wonderful people and would not encroach on your site, however, many unknown guests also view these posts.

Can you tell me about how far those shapes are from the water? Are you in an area that mined iron? Right off the top of my head, those almost sound like coke ovens!

Cavers5

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cavers5 said:
Matthew,

Thank you very much for the information. Both of you have obviously done some wonderful research.

However, and I'm sure BB would agree with me on this...post as much artifact information that you want, but please don't post site location data.

Tnet members are wonderful people and would not encroach on your site, however, many unknown guests also view these posts.

Can you tell me about how far those shapes are from the water? Are you in an area that mined iron? Right off the top of my head, those almost sound like coke ovens!

Cavers5

I certainly agree! And due to the fact that there are only three pits, these sound like rifle pits rather than winter camp huts.

-Buckles

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
cavers5 said:
Matthew,

Cavers5

I certainly agree! And due to the fact that there are only three pits, these sound like rifle pits rather than winter camp huts.

Is that a good thing or bad thing?

-Buckles

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Hi,

Not sure if you are asking me or BB or both of us! As for my part...look up beehive coke ovens on the Internet and you can see what their original shapes looked like. I mention these structures because you stated that your indentations were horseshoe-shaped. Of course, I have no idea what your indentations are. Coke ovens are just a guess off the top of my head.

If the civil war or topo maps of that area do not show what those indentations are, then you'll just have to guess based on the relics that you find. Since you have so much iron in that particular area, it's very possible that a blacksmithing area had been set up there. Just a thought!

Good luck!
Cavers5

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, it sounds like it hasn't been hit hard before, according to your property owner (have you asked him directly?)

I was wondering...Is it a possibility that you found the mill site that you mentioned in your post? Or the site of another structure?

Either way, it sounds like you are making good finds in terms of CW items--so there really shouldn't be any complaints about the mess of iron. Pick through it as best you can--even dig out the big pieces of it if you have to. Gradually widen your search area, and figure out whether the CW items are confined to the iron patch, or whether they extent beyond it.

Get creative. Run patterns through the fields and focus on areas where CW finds are made in greater quantities.

You said that the brush is a problem now--and let me tell you: Do NOT give up on a site that is brushy until you have hunted it when it is clear. I hit a picket post with corn stubble in it once--and the weather was 90 degrees and sunny--with no shade, of course, in the field. Corn stalks bumping the searchcoil every swing, and they had just sprayed the weed killer for "no-till" farming... :tard: I found very little that day--for my all-afternoon investment. But went back the next time on a cooler day late in the season (with little stubble left in the field) and dug bullets, buttons, and a knapsack hook. So conditions play a Large factor in how well we do. An hour of detecting in the brush might only equal 20 minutes of detecting in a plowed field if you are only keeping your coil to the soil 33% of the time in the brush--AND it is more physically and mentally exhausting. So both factors might be against you right now on the pits that you're hunting.

Regards,

Buckleboy

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
piles of bricks are a tell tale sign as well....also look for a hill that looks out of place in the area..this could have been thier trash dump

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
OK, it sounds like it hasn't been hit hard before, according to your property owner (have you asked him directly?)

I was wondering...Is it a possibility that you found the mill site that you mentioned in your post? Or the site of another structure?

Either way, it sounds like you are making good finds in terms of CW items--so there really shouldn't be any complaints about the mess of iron. Pick through it as best you can--even dig out the big pieces of it if you have to. Gradually widen your search area, and figure out whether the CW items are confined to the iron patch, or whether they extent beyond it.

Get creative. Run patterns through the fields and focus on areas where CW finds are made in greater quantities.

You said that the brush is a problem now--and let me tell you: Do NOT give up on a site that is brushy until you have hunted it when it is clear. I hit a picket post with corn stubble in it once--and the weather was 90 degrees and sunny--with no shade, of course, in the field. Corn stalks bumping the searchcoil every swing, and they had just sprayed the weed killer for "no-till" farming... :tard: I found very little that day--for my all-afternoon investment. But went back the next time on a cooler day late in the season (with little stubble left in the field) and dug bullets, buttons, and a knapsack hook. So conditions play a Large factor in how well we do. An hour of detecting in the brush might only equal 20 minutes of detecting in a plowed field if you are only keeping your coil to the soil 33% of the time in the brush--AND it is more physically and mentally exhausting. So both factors might be against you right now on the pits that you're hunting.

Regards,

Buckleboy
Ok yes this place did once hold a mill and a cotton gin, with 2 mill ponds still visable that are a good 35 foot deep. "would love to dive" We went back yesterday and had 4 people hitting the site from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. we were coiming out at dark,found alot of the same old things but some a little more intresting. Trust me pics are coming Soon, everythinf has 200 years of swamp crud around so if i posted it know they would look worst that the canister shells that I posted a while back. We think that we have figured some of it out. The 3rd time that we dug out there we found a huge oak tree and around that oak tree we found an axe,canister shells,pieces of a 6 pounder, etc... but the reports only say that the yankees only had 2 six pounders that first they aimed toward the trees to kill confederates that where hidingup there, well our big tree that found you know what Im thinking. The report also has that they fired there guns and there cannons for 45 minutes straight, well we walked through pure swamp yesterday in a line with tree and found some instresting things, I cannot think of the name of it but it was put on the back of cannonballs to produce rifleing it is pure lead and solid white, but I didnt think that they used these on 6 pounders, found an old piece off of a pony express chest, and possibly the mother load of them all A PISTOL ;D ;D ;D Like I said Pics are coming.

Thanks for all you guys help Cavers5 and BB I would ove to take you guys down there with us sometime, so if you are ever in this area give me a yell.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Thanks for the invite! If we head that way, I'm definitely giving you a holler! Absolutely wonderful site!

Cavers5

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dragon6banger said:
you forgot to add we came out soaked form head to toe and trashedtiger is the luckiest man alive.....

Do tell! And I'm holding my breath in anticipation of the photos of the pistol. I assume it was a Colt Revolver or a Remington?

-Buckleboy

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
dragon6banger said:
you forgot to add we came out soaked form head to toe and trashedtiger is the luckiest man alive.....

Do tell! And I'm holding my breath in anticipation of the photos of the pistol. I assume it was a Colt Revolver or a Remington?

-Buckleboy

Well se every time we go I have 3 dectectors one being a whites 6000 di pro, an ace 250, and a whites prism 5. But every time trashedtiger and I go out he only has a whites prism 2 and he finds the most S**T whether it be a canister shell,or drop,or mini etc... Like this past time he found a damn sabbot perfectley preserved. The Pistol is not a definate it has the caractoristics of a pistol but also the gaurd of a cutless but it has 200 years of gunk on it as well, I keep pushing the fact to trashedtiger that he needs to post our finds, but trying to get him to do that is like trying to cut a 2x4 in half with a butter knife its damn close to impossible. But I promise that the pics are coming!! :thumbsup:

BB I dont know where you live but it might be worth the trip down here even if I have to pay for your plane ticket,lol.

rovnrbl

May 26, 2003
Some possible clues

If you're reasonably sure you have a fortification that was manned for any extent of time, the soldiers manning the fort probably did stay in a camp when they were off duty. Would guess camp 1/4 to 1 mile from fort probably along road to the fort (if fort's under attack they need to get there quickly) and near water and woods (for fire). Look at a topographic map of the area (http://www.maptech.com) or google earth. If it wasn't a permanent fort but you still believe a camp was there, you still want to look for water, relatively close to a road w/in 1/2 mile or so and wood. Camps can be on high ground, low ground or on a slope - you just never know. Try researching the Official Records - I think you can find them on line through Cornell University website - http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/moa/browse.monographs/waro.html or you can probably buy a CD copy from Guild Press (better search engine than TBar). That oughtta keep you busy for a lifetime or so. Good Luck!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread