Encounter with Brinks guard

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday as I was leaving a bank and about to get into my car I noticed the Brinks currier coming out of the bank. I saw him come in as I was standing in line. I decided that I wanted to ask him a question. I wanted to know how far their district was so that maybe I could start dumping outside my district if it was not to far.
I took 2 steps towards him and said "excuse me" he was still 10 feet away from me. He instantly put his hand on his gun and almost shouted at me to STOP RIGHT THERE DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER.
I said that I just wanted to ask him a question. He said nothing and just kept staring at me with his hand still on his gun. I decided he was not the person to ask and I said sorry about that and returned to my car.
I also noticed the Brinks driver in the truck intently watching.
Glad I did not get shot.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Not surprising in this day and age - lesson learned - avoid anyone transporting valuable stuff and carrying a firearm. :laughing7:

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I would have soiled my pants. Sounds like a wise advice vpnavy.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah not a smart move. They don't know you from a robber. They have to assume anyone approaching them is a possible thief. They have millions of dollars they are guarding and transporting. I don't blame them for being cautious.

Maybe you should go to their website or find a Brinks email. Much safer.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Years ago (pre-1995), where I use to work, I was in charge of all the vault cash (incoming & outgoing), and knew the Brinks guards well. They told me that once they have possession of customers cash, either going in or coming out of the business, that they are required to have readily available to holster their gun, and that they were not allowed to converse with anyone along the way. In this case here, I think the guard was RIGHT, the way he handled the situation, he was doing his job.

OP
OP
silveraddict

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not disagree that he was doing his job. When I took the 2 steps I had stopped before I said excuse me. I was not still advancing towards him. I was not planning on getting any closer but he did not know that.
Has anyone else ever called Brinks, Guarda, Loomis etc. And asked how far from their prossesing plant do they service?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pick the right time & place and you'll get answers. I've chatted with Brinks guards in banks where I was the only customer, and where they saw I was in friendly conversation with the tellers. That said, I didn't ask them anything even remotely suspicious; just small talk. If I saw the same guy a few weeks in a row, I might fish for more information if I was so inclined.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I've had a similar encounter with a Brinks transporter as well. Seems like a company line they give out. I don't blame them for doing it either.

I've worked with a former Loomis transporter before. He doesn't care about the coins. He sees them as a pain, not really money, and calls them plain "dead weight". He told me about a time someone reached for his gun from behind while on the job. He quickly elbowed the person behind him and it turned out to be a little kid.

It can be a dangerous job. Most cops while standing, will have their hands on top or near their holster. However since money transporters are constantly carrying money and have their hands full, their hands are away from their gun which makes it less safe.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
when "on guard" with cash going to or from a bank to or to/ from the armored car .. guards by policy and common sense are not to "stop and chat" with folks ...since its their job to get the cash to and from with as little exposure to be stolen time as possible . .. not smart to try and stop them for a chat "in route" to or from.. since robberies are often set up by a distraction of the guard

OP
OP
silveraddict

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
when "on guard" with cash going to or from a bank to or to/ from the armored car .. guards by policy and common sense are not to "stop and chat" with folks ...since its their job to get the cash to and from with as little exposure to be stolen time as possible . .. not smart to try and stop them for a chat "in route" to or from.. since robberies are often set up by a distraction of the guard

He was coming out of the banks and on his way to the truck. He did not have anything in either hand.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was coming out of the banks and on his way to the truck. He did not have anything in either hand.

Yes but he was going back to a truck full of money. Outside of the truck he is vulnerable. So of course he was defensive when approached by a stranger.

You didn't do anything wrong. You were not thinking about any of this stuff and any normal person wouldnt. Just like the Brinks guy did his job and didn't do anything wrong either

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I talk to my Brinks man every week, but we are inside of the bank when we converse and before we started talking the girls in the back had allready filled him in on me and what I do, my guy is very cool and I have even given him Dunkin Doughnut gift cards as he is leaving, just for having to lug my boxes in the bank every single week. It was quite some time that we would see each other in the bank every week and him seeing me leave with the halves every time though before I even said hi to him let alone have a conversation with him. Good luck on getting your info, right place and right time are going to be key in striking up a conversation with one. HH, Maverick.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have held the door into the bank for the courier guys before. They say thank you and that's about it. I don't really try to go out of my way to talk to them for the exact reason the OP stated. Just smile and nod and keep on walking, haha.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd suggest just asking the branch manager or a teller at the bank to ask the brinks guard your question. If you have a good relationship I'm sure they wouldn't mind.... Especially if that means not dealing with your dumps.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just Google map, BRINKS and all their locations should Pop up...

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been times when I have been tempted to go up to those guards and ask them if I could buy coins right off the truck from them (kind of like how that old lady does it in the movie Groundhog Day). But I've never followed through with it mainly because I don't think they'd do it and I am in no rush to be shot.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have specific orders for each bank and store they deliver to. It's not an ice cream truck. They can't sell to you.

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have specific orders for each bank and store they deliver to. It's not an ice cream truck. They can't sell to you.

Yeah, I know. But it would be cool if they did deliver the money in an ice cream truck. They could play music from the speakers and everyone would know the money truck was coming -- come on out and buy your silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread