52 Boxes and counting, my ironic skunk streak.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
So it was a couple of weeks ago that I finally decided to start selling all my finds ( as I posted here) to start making extra payments on our mortgage and as luck would have it I am in the midst of a 52 box skunk streak! This is my longest ever! My longest streak was 36 boxes a couple of years ago. I found 1 90% in a box last night but that is it and it was obviously missed by another hunter , so since the 5th of February I am at 1 90...... I'm sure you see my irony. I will keep you posted on this weeks finds, I REALLY hope to get past this soon! HH, Maverick.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 4 more boxes to search tonight but I checked about 5 rolls in each box yesterday and nothing....didn't have time to do the complete boxes till everyone goes to bed tonight, I could wined up at 56 boxes before the night is over. HH, Maverick.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it was a couple of weeks ago that I finally decided to start selling all my finds ( as I posted here) to start making extra payments on our mortgage and as luck would have it I am in the midst of a 52 box skunk streak! This is my longest ever! My longest streak was 36 boxes a couple of years ago. I found 1 90% in a box last night but that is it and it was obviously missed by another hunter , so since the 5th of February I am at 1 90...... I'm sure you see my irony. I will keep you posted on this weeks finds, I REALLY hope to get past this soon! HH, Maverick.

I'm confused, you found a 90% last night. So shouldn't your skunk streak be over?

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm confused, you found a 90% last night. So shouldn't your skunk streak be over?

I guess you could look at it like that, but after 51 boxes of nothing finding 1 keeper that was missed by someone else doesn't really make it over for me and if there is nothing in these last 4 i'm going to still consider it as a streak.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you could look at it like that, but after 51 boxes of nothing finding 1 keeper that was missed by someone else doesn't really make it over for me and if there is nothing in these last 4 i'm going to still consider it as a streak.

Yeah I think the CRH gods are playing a cruel trick on you after they got wind of your plan. I hope these last 4 boxes change your unlucky streak.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bright side is that your 52 box skunk streak only encompasses 2 weeks instead of 3 months like it would for most hunters. It'll turn, keep digging.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey maverick, sorry to hear about the skunk streak, hopefully things improve for you real soon!
Hh
Buff

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah...sorry for the tough break. I also had a skunk streak over the last 2.5 weeks with 9-skunks. My last two boxes each had 1 keeper, a 51 Ben and a 67 Ken. It could be some kind of post Christmas silver blues.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reminds me of Homer Simpson falling off a cliff and hitting every rock---that could leave a mark on the psyche, OUCH!!. GET WELL SOON :-)

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I finished the last 4 late last night, four more skunks.... I start getting boxes for this week tomorrow, should be 18 boxes tomorrow if everything goes as it should, my fingers are crossed. HH, Maverick.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh, sorry to hear. That's a rough stint. Are you picking up from only one coin sorting facility / delivery courier? I buy boxes from different banks (and couriers etc) when possible to see what is going on out there. I assume BOA uses Brinks and they are the most skunky marked up coins out of any type of bank around here. I may get an account there just to dump where everyone else is dumping. I would give up on boxes if they looked like BOA or yours. I do a box a week plus what I find CWR / loose so that would be an epic year long streak for me. Its just too much dumping at a higher volume. Now if I had found this when I was unemployed lol... You are inspiring me to order from a different bank and see if the results are better or worse.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Just my opinion and I really don't know your area but I can only speak for my own personal experience.

I've noticed that in the past, the more boxes I search the less I find. I could do a ton of boxes a week. I have the funds to do so but I won't for that reason. When I did more and more boxes years ago when silver prices were higher, I found I got less on average. I didn't really get it. CRHing just wasn't as fun and it turned into a job.

I'm only guessing it's because the coins get recycled. If I was the main person going through the coins, the process would recycle and I would get my same dump coins again. I mark my coins so every so often I will get my dumps back. I do however keep my dump and order banks as separate.

Have you tried giving it a break for a month and going back to it later? It's worked for me before. I'm guessing it's like metal detecting, you've hunted an entire park for change.. it's dry.. may have to wait for the park to replenish itself.

Just my thoughts only.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow 18 boxes in 1 day is a hell of a workout. Good luck on killing that skunk

Tuesday is my heaviest day, I have dedicated Tues to just CRHing, this is my second job if you will. I dump at three banks ( left overs from the previous week) and pick up at 3 banks today, I drive just over 100 miles every Tuesday. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ugh, sorry to hear. That's a rough stint. Are you picking up from only one coin sorting facility / delivery courier? I buy boxes from different banks (and couriers etc) when possible to see what is going on out there. I assume BOA uses Brinks and they are the most skunky marked up coins out of any type of bank around here. I may get an account there just to dump where everyone else is dumping. I would give up on boxes if they looked like BOA or yours. I do a box a week plus what I find CWR / loose so that would be an epic year long streak for me. Its just too much dumping at a higher volume. Now if I had found this when I was unemployed lol... You are inspiring me to order from a different bank and see if the results are better or worse.

My system is pretty tight, I really don't have time to try another carrier, I have always searched Brinks and dump to Gaurda/ Dunbar ect.. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
SFBay

I stay the same amount every week pretty much about 28 boxes now. I have searched more in the past and had the same result as you, more skunks....I can't give it a break as this is what I do for my second/third job, plus the week that I give it a break you know that dream box will get away lol. I'm getting ready to head out the door now to make my rounds, I'll report my finds later on today. HH, Maverick.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tuesday is my heaviest day, I have dedicated Tues to just CRHing, this is my second job if you will. I dump at three banks ( left overs from the previous week) and pick up at 3 banks today, I drive just over 100 miles every Tuesday. HH, Maverick.

I hope you're driving 100 miles as you're running other errands or work. Otherwise, those skunks can definitely take a hit on the gas. Good Luck. I don't think I'm at a level to make it a 2nd/3rd job. I hope luck turns around for you.

unroller

Dec 28, 2012
FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Maverick. Your boxes will improve! We talked awhile back about a 100 box skunk streak I had. I almost quit boxes. Glad I did not.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the streak ended yesterday at 62 boxes, the first bank I stopped at to pick up my 4 boxes were all skunks, my next bank that I pick up 8 boxes at had some silver in them! So 18 boxes yesterday yielded 14 40 and 9 90 . Man that was a brutal two weeks. HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread