dipstick

Greenie
Apr 7, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT - Whites Coin Master
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a older 2.5 keene crash box dredge and trying to get it ready to dredge. I am going to tune the engine and would like to here it run before putting in the river. Do I need to have water running through the pump while checking the engine. The dredge is setup on foam blocks and would like to coat the bottoms with fiberglass cloth or something, tried some bed liner spray on a piece and it melted. I think fiberglass resin would melt it too. Has anybody made some pontoons or know if I can use a epoxy resin on this styrofoam. Do you prefer miners moss in the sluice or a mix of moss and carpet or matting. I know I have a lot of questions but this is my first dredge so its going to be a learning experience. Thanks Steve

Upvote 0

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
If you run the engine for morethan a few seconds with the pump dry it can burn up the pump seals. Rig it to recirculate somehow.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can think of two materials you might consider for the pontoon bottoms. Both are made
for the bottoms of river drift boats, and I've used both and can attest that it's some seriously
tough stuff. One is called Gluvit, and the other is Coat-It. Be sure to ask the retailer if it will apply
to your material (they should know), and if so you've got a winner for sure.
(links added as they offer good tech info, but it can be bought at many marine stores).

Mike

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Reed Lukens has a vido series on how to build a inexpensive and versatile dredge fram using barrels as floats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread