Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice just wondering how do you desifer whats a pick and whats a nugget

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
very nice just wondering how do you desifer whats a pick and whats a nugget

It seems that it's a regional thing. In some areas anything over a gram is called a nugget--chunky stuff under that--a picker. In other areas the line disappears, and people ID a nugget as any piece that's chunky, and a picker as anything you can pick up with tweezers or your finger. It appears that there are many liberal interpretations on both: nuggets or pickers.

All the best,

Lanny
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some good insight there Lanny. I had never really considered it before but I suspect that most of prospecting is "very liberal", just depends on which viewing lens one is looking through. But then any gold is gold and I know I smile at any and all I might/have found as Great Stuff...............63bkpkr

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, the big question...where did you find it? I mean, will you give us the exact GPS coordinates? Pleaseeeeee????

OP
OP
D

divermz

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2008
Where I found it...umh...???

yea where did you find it let us in to this spot
Well just east of Wickenburg AZ on castle hot springs road are various claims some are gpaa and I joined gpaa right there with my iPad and credit card so I could access the claims proper. There were some names like old woman gulch or something like that and little San domingo wash. The dirt I brought home came from around five different areas in and around there ..I respected any marked claims by the way.. I also,travelled to another area much farther east than this area all the way down castle hot springs road and ended up by lake pleasant ( I think that's the name of it) so to say it was one place or another ..I really am not too sure but f I had to guess it was when I was gouging out cracks in bedrock and filling five gallon buckets that would have been on gpaa claims at the San Domingo wash...sorry I couldn't be more helpfull ... And to make it even more uncertain....one of the five gallon buckets I brought back to Michigan was from off the jobsite where I was at the landfill in surprise AZ where I was digging to install gas line and that was around eight feet deep and I saw white quartz pieces and darker looking strata in my spoils so I took some of that too.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not have the lat & long myself but I can tell you it was in California along a river and it takes 'me' quite a few hours to hike in and out of the place. Once I get down the trail then I hike up or down river, whichever way the coin falls. Oh, and it is close to Sacramento. Does that help? :hello:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When my Dad caught big trout, people always asked him where he caught them. He'd answer with, "Right in the mouth".

All the best,

Lanny

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think i know where it is if its in the guidebook ill find it

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG your in trouble now as your a gonna want mo' more MORE now. A picker is what ya can pick up with your fingers easily but to each his own and you'll coveth that FIRST for many a year. NOW go get some more :icon_thumright: John

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JOHN i havent even found natural gold yet and i already want more

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice! The new spot I'm working supposedly has nuggets, but I'm still looking for them... The prospector I was working by last week classified the nuggets he found by denomination.He referred to them as $20 nuggets, or $60 dollar nuggets. He said the biggest he's found in that spot was a $200 nugget...

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice! The new spot I'm working supposedly has nuggets, but I'm still looking for them... The prospector I was working by last week classified the nuggets he found by denomination.He referred to them as $20 nuggets, or $60 dollar nuggets. He said the biggest he's found in that spot was a $200 nugget...

That's true. That is a way to do it--that way is in constant flux or change, being tied to the price of gold.

At $20 an ounce (the approximate price gold was fixed at from 1833-1919), a $200 nugget would have been a 10 ounce nugget on steroids! And, back in the old days, there was no significant premium on nuggets like there is today--they melted down their nuggets for bullion--I know, it's a crying shame. At $35-36 an ounce (right around where gold was fixed from 1934-1967), that same $200 ounce nugget had shrunk to a 5.5 ounce nugget.

So, a $200 nugget today has shrunk to a mighty small size in comparison. But you're right--there are still a bunch of guys that use the modern day equivalent, and why not? It's tied to where gold's at today.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread