England in Hot Water over Odyssey

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spain demands answers from England and the EEUU for England's involvement with Odyssey's illegal exportation of treasures from the Mercedes !
http://www.gaceta.es/30-06-2009+esp..._complicidad_odyssey,noticia_1img,10,12,60905

Note: copy of export declaration.
Value $1,496,926 estimated value $2.5 million, note this is an official export declaration filled out by Odyssey !

" they had no permit to remove or export goods "
Spain will be asking the United states and England to explain how this was allowed to happen !!
Ossy

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Ossy,

Is there likely to be another Armada, like in 1588, do you think?

If so, we might have to invoke the legend of Drake's Drum, as described in the poem of that name:

Drake he's in his hammock an' a thousand miles away,
(Capten, art tha sleepin' there below?)
Slung atween the round shot in Nombre Dios Bay,
An' dreamin' arl the time O' Plymouth Hoe.
Yarnder lumes the Island, yarnder lie the ships,
Wi' sailor lads a-dancing' heel-an'-toe,
An' the shore-lights flashin', an' the night-tide dashin',
He sees et arl so plainly as he saw et long ago.

Drake he was a Devon man, an' ruled the Devon seas,
(Capten, art tha' sleepin' there below?)
Roving' tho' his death fell, he went wi' heart at ease,
A' dreamin' arl the time o' Plymouth Hoe.
"Take my drum to England, hang et by the shore,
Strike et when your powder's runnin' low;
If the Dons sight Devon, I'll quit the port o' Heaven,
An' drum them up the Channel as we drumm'd them long ago."

Drake he's in his hammock till the great Armadas come,
(Capten, art tha sleepin' there below?)
Slung atween the round shot, listenin' for the drum,
An' dreamin arl the time o' Plymouth Hoe.
Call him on the deep sea, call him up the Sound,
Call him when ye sail to meet the foe;
Where the old trade's plyin' an' the old flag flyin'
They shall find him ware an' wakin', as they found him long ago!

Sir Henry Newbolt

I'll watch developments with interest. I think that Britain acted on the correct assumption (and presumably assurances) that Odyssey were going to place the coins under the control of the Federal Court in Florida. I do know, however, that parts of the British Government were upset that Odyssey had taken the step they did in raising all the coins.

Mariner

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Ossy,

I thought you would like that. If Drake doesn't turn up, we'll ask Greg Stemm to dress up and take his place. One good turn deserves another. :tongue3:

Mariner

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mariner said:
Ossy,

I thought you would like that. If Drake doesn't turn up, we'll ask Greg Stemm to dress up and take his place.

Mariner
LOL :laughing9: :laughing9: HO HO HO and a bottle of rum :laughing7:
Ossy

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breaking News ! Reuters: The Spanish Armada have finally landed in England and are looking to overthrow the English at their own game !
The Queen ( Reina ) has been keeping guard in Liverpool for some time now.
The Spanish Galleon La Valencia is expected to land with captain villa leading the assult and hopfully backing up captain Torres with the early landing party.
Ambassador Benitez has said that the United States had backed his expected conquest of England
The English had hoped to prevent this second attempt but their champion Drake was suffering lead
Poisoning.
For mariner !
Cheers, Ossy

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
4theMoney said:
Didnt the Spanish Armada fail?....

yes it did! i've just got back from visiting my parents in spain, my dad said that the spanish people are still quite touchy about the outcome :-\

maybe we cheated or something :D

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Ossy,

Thanks for the laugh! I particularly like the idea of Ambassador Raffa.

Here's to a successful next season for the Merseyside teams. Great jubilation over here when the USA beat Spain in the Confederation Cup, and then won the first half against Brazil.

Best wishes,

Mariner

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
as I recall you guys killed sir walter raleigh after torching the last armada, it might be a bit hard finding replacements knowing the queen values her handmaidens more than her hero's. seriously though screw spain they were stealing it in the first place.

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wwwtimmcp said:
as I recall you guys killed sir walter raleigh after torching the last armada, it might be a bit hard finding replacements knowing the queen values her handmaidens more than her hero's. seriously though screw spain they were stealing it in the first place.
:icon_scratch: Beheaded by the English as all good pirates should be ::) Do you guys look at history books or comic books?
Ossy

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
wwwtimmcp said:
[/wwwquote]

wwwtimmcp,

Just for the record, Raleigh was actually beheaded by King James I of England (James VI of Scotland) and did not play any part in the defeat of the Spanish Armada in 1588. It was Drake who used the fire boats to destroy much of the Spanish fleet, after adverse winds had deprived them of the chance to land in England. Drake died of dysentery eight years later, off the coast of Panama, and was buried at sea in the port of Nombre de Dios.

Not that you would want facts to get in the way of your opinions.

Mariner

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My history book says the spanish raped and plundered their way through the new world. And now THEY call others pirates? As you know, I have NO sympathy for the "plight" of the spanish in this issue. Besides, just because some poorly informed judge in Florida passes down a decision on this doesn't mean it's final.

If you're looking for sympathy, you'll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary. And I know the spanish know what syphilis is.

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola billinstuart, How are you mate ! I see you are still lighting fires :blob8: You know how it goes " sticks and stones "
Cheers, Ossy

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
that might be bulk value by wieght of the silver at current market scrap silver melt value at the time of export --- 1.5 to 2.5 mil-- another other value is based upon the coins "marketiblity" and collector value which is speculative and which is of course is unknown until they are fully cleaned and finally sold --- their full "estimated market value" which they used to put out that it--- "could be" a 500 million dollar find"---is a lot like the sticker price of a "new" car on a car lot -- only a idiot would pay "full price" and the actual cost (worth) is often much less.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan... The value of the coins were listed at the cost of recovery. This has been explained many times, but there are some in Spain that have an agenda. The writer of that article, Santiago Mata, is one of those who continues to write lies and innuendo. He's even a joke among his colleagues.

P.S. No export license was necessary, because the coins were not being exported from any country. They were merely "in transit" from the point of recovery.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the by: Drake's coffin was actually jettisoned at Isla Verde outside the bay of Porto Bello. And, Benevides, Admiral of the flota captured by Piet Heyn was sequestered and finally beheaded by Phillip... and he was neither a good pirate or a bad pirate, in fact, no pirate at all: simply a bad admiral. A fine example of Spanish justice, then as now.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
terri -- he was killed for being a coward and giving up the spanish fleet too easily -- however it took a good bit of time fo spanish "justice" to occur ---since after all his sister was the kings mistress so as long as she lived he lived as well --- he was on the "outs" royally speakingfor losing the fleet --however once she died -- it was zip off with his head at last -- his real punishment was getting to live knowing that he got to live only as long as she does.

the funny part was that hyen dispised the spanish commander since hyen was a galley slave under him on his vessel for years before getting freed --hyen had hoped to capture him personnally * to the point of telling his crews that "he's mine" let no man harm him -- I want to take him alive.--- if hyen had got him the "fun and games" would have been very ugly I'm sure.

after taking the spanish fleet -- hyen had went to the spanish commanders vessel and his personal cabin finding him gone hyen then used the spanish commanders golden cup with commanders family coat of arms on it to drink some of the mans wines from ( hyen kept it as a "keepsake")-- lucky for hyen his men found the charge that the spanish commander had started before leaving (to blow up the vessel and all on it) in time. --afterward hyen said -- he was lucky the commander didn't poison the cup as well.

hyen later on died bravely in battle and is a dutch national hero like george washington is to ameriicans --(the dutch were breaking were breaking free from spanish control at the time of hyens raid -- the money from the entire spanish treasure fleet for that year that hyen brought in from his raid helped to cripple spain fiscally and also helped to fund the dutch "revolt") --- the spanish commander lived in shame for the rest of his life for being a "coward" --finally dying in shame at the hands of his own countrymen.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
since they were found in "open waters" or non territorail waters of any country as you say they were merely in transit from the finding place on the high seas or "open ocean" to the storage place of odyssey's choice.-- they were thus as you say "in transit" -- since the wreck was not in that that country (malta's ) territorial waters --clearly it was not the country of "origin" --- since it was found on the "high seas" on a "unknown" nationality wrecksite ( the site could be "guessed" at but known for sure 100 %-- thus no "export permit " from anyone is required for a "high seas"-- unknown nationaility wrecksite found item ----- only paperwork to show whats "in transit" from point A ( from off the salvage vessel that found it ) to point B ( the usa for storage)--and that just for custom's "paperwork" for "legal" shipment reasons --the declared value of which should be its raw bulk melt silver worth by wieght at the time of shipment . (or the cost of the recovery of said items )-- (since really until the coins are until properly cleaned --- they could not not be sold for proper scrap silver value even.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread