Enjoying Summer but good finds lacking

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Here are at least a couple weeks finds. Nothing exciting. My metal detecting trips as of late have been limited to quick hour trips. It seems like I should be able to get in more than two to three hours of metal detecting for a week.

I was able to hook up with Goldiver for an hour. Great guy and was able to find a nice Buffalo nickel (gee, where did that scratch across his face come from :icon_scratch:).

Buffalofront.jpg

Buffaloback.jpg

These five coins were found in the same hole. Kinda cool with the steel penny in there.
wheatpennysteel-1.jpg

More stuff:
FlatButtonandsuch.jpg

The flat button came from an early 1800s mill site that has been worked to death. I thought through how the workers of this mill would have to travel to get to it and sure enough following the speculated route of travel produced some targets such as the button.

I did get a quick trip to the site that we named the Iceberg. It was a misearable hunt as I was hot, sweaty, wearing shorts and getting torn up by sawgrass(as well as other vegetation). Managed about 30 wheats but no silver.

Picture includes wheats from other sites as well:
Wheats.jpg

On Fathers day Nate and I only had about an hour to detect. So the same discussion always ensues …. “We should go to the SLQ School”, I suggest. “Nahh, there is a better chance of getting silver at Down the Block School” Nate replies. Since it is Father’s Day Nate defers to my wishes.
Now this “SLQ School” is a school that was built on a school site that was built on a school site. So there has been a lot of grading. The one area that I find a lot of wheats which Nate does not is a place where the original ground was covered with 4” of clay and then another inch of topsoil. So to get these wheats you dig through the top inch or two of topsoil, another three to four inches of clay then the final 3 inches of original soil to get to the 8” deep wheat penny. So I had found at least 15-20 wheats in this area without finding silver until this day. I dug the iffy signal and saw a flash of silver in the hole. I got excited because I thought that maybe for some reason today I was able to detect the 8” silver dimes I know are here. It was not so as there was also a wheat penny in the hole. This area really bugs me because I know there are plenty of silver dimes that are beyond the detector’s reach. Well at least I got one.

Recent other activities - one of the “big” ones that didn’t get away.

Eye.jpg

LakeerieGodrays.jpg

Rasberries at my mom’s house!
Rasberries.jpg

HH all and enjoy the Summer! 8)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
All Right Bob ... :thumbsup:

Great Pictures & I am glad to see your lovin' life My Man ...

Nice job on nearly decapitating the Indian on the Buffalo nickel ... :tongue3: Heck it's got a date ... :icon_sunny:

I noticed your Wheat count was a little low ... I think your slipping ... LOL

Very Nice Post My Friend ~ Nick

Thanks Nick. Have a great 4th!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pictures mirage. I know Cleveland is an old town..... but nowhere to hunt? I would be afraid of those random beatings by those punks that's been going on there lately. I heard where that one man was beaten to death while people watched. What a shame >:(

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knowww how ya feel, Bob. :D It's been either too hot, or I just haven't had time to go out much. :-\

AWESOME fishing trip! Love the pictures... Have a great weekend!

Nana :wink:

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
very nice job on the buffalo nickel and wheaties! Yeah we are all enjoying the summer! Looks like you are too! :thumbsup:

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Bob, love the clarity on that Buff! Usually, I'm lucky if it has a date and if it does you have to squint through a magnifying glass to see it. Nice pics and I noticed another of my passions, raspberries. I just picked a few lucious handfuls yesterday. What kind of fish ya got there?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,
Your "good finds lacking" post looks like a "great day of finds" post for me. :wink: I'd be very have with those coins. I guess you may have gotten spoiled after that NC reale? :icon_scratch: ;D
Looks like a very nice Walleye there Mister. Lake Erie?
As far as your school and comment:
Now this “SLQ School” is a school that was built on a school site that was built on a school site. So there has been a lot of grading.
Was that a pun? Very clever. :icon_jokercolor:
I hope all is well up in OhiO, and you are keeping the kids young adults in line.
You may want to start booking your winter trip to MMMDDV (Modern Miner's Metal Detecting Dream Vacations) now. Reservations are filling up fast, and operators are standing by. :tongue3:
Take care and I hope your family has a great 4th holiday. :occasion14: :occasion18: :wave:
-Doug-
P.S. Sud's sends his love.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That walleye make's up for the scratch Bob,some of the the best eating fish that'll ever swim.Very nice looking haul for the amount of time you have.Congrat's and HH!!

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bob :thumbsup: and great pics.
I love fresh cought Walleye.

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Thanks all. :)

halfdime said:
Bob, love the clarity on that Buff! Usually, I'm lucky if it has a date and if it does you have to squint through a magnifying glass to see it. Nice pics and I noticed another of my passions, raspberries. I just picked a few lucious handfuls yesterday. What kind of fish ya got there?

Hey Henry. The fish is a Walleye. Lake Erie is often called the "Walleye capital of the world". It does hold the record Professional Walleye Tournament (PWT) catch. I was very satisfied with the Buffalo. It is probably my best early date buff.

ModernMiner said:
Bob,
Your "good finds lacking" post looks like a "great day of finds" post for me. :wink: I'd be very have with those coins. I guess you may have gotten spoiled after that NC reale? :icon_scratch: ;D
Looks like a very nice Walleye there Mister. Lake Erie?
As far as your school and comment:
Now this “SLQ School” is a school that was built on a school site that was built on a school site. So there has been a lot of grading.
Was that a pun? Very clever. :icon_jokercolor:
I hope all is well up in OhiO, and you are keeping the kids young adults in line.
You may want to start booking your winter trip to MMMDDV (Modern Miner's Metal Detecting Dream Vacations) now. Reservations are filling up fast, and operators are standing by. :tongue3:
Take care and I hope your family has a great 4th holiday. :occasion14: :occasion18: :wave:
-Doug-
P.S. Sud's sends his love.

Doug - Just keep the month of January open for me at MMMDDV. :laughing7: The Lake Erie walleye are nice size and fairly plentiful. You just have to find them and put the lure in front of their face. Which isn't always that easy as it is a big lake and the fish suspend anywhere from 5 to 45 ft.

Me spoiled? Nah, I just expect silver at every hunt. ::) ;D

PS - give suds a treat for me. 8)

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you posted Bob...that's a lot of coins. I see you are kickin' back and enjoying things. PS: You did that injun wrong brother ;D Take care...and keep on postin' goodies

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post and pics Bob. Man that Buffalo has more detail than I remembered! Also nice looking walleye, those are very fun to catch and of course the best part is eating them!

I am looking forward to meeting up with you and Nate Saturday, we will get you guys some silver this time! That spot never ceases to amaze me as much as it has been hit in the past. Some days you find next to nothing and other days it's like bam how am I finding all this cool stuff?

Anyway, think silver for saturday!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions