Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and happy Fourth of July!

Was away on vacation this month, and I also celebrated a birthday and Father's Day in June, so I treated myself to "little" present: I found a mint condition DFX on eBay for a price I couldn't pass up, so I grabbed it and tried to suppress my guilt. :wink:

Anyway last night I got out for the first time with the new machine. I only spent about a serious hour at the old park I frequent, but it was a good hunt nonetheless. About midway through I got a decent dime-quarter signal at least six inches down, so I very carefully dug, and uncovered a really nice old 1800s Long Island Railroad (LIRR) baggage tag, for passage between Ronkonkoma (Long Island) and 34th Street (Penn Station - NYC). This is the third old LIRR tag I've found this year, and it's making for a nice collection of local memorabilia. This is the first I've found that fastened on top and bottom. It's my understanding that these are more rare/desirable. No old coins for the night, but I wasn't complaining.

Just like you hear in all the ads, I used the DFX over the same ground I've been over a bunch of times before, and was really pleased to see it finding new things at considerable depth. Hopefully next time it finds me a nice Seated or even a Reale, but all in all I was very pleased for the hour's work with the new machine.

If anyone has any DFX tips, please let me know!

Cheers and HH,
B

Attachments

• LIRR Tag1 Both Sides (Medium).jpg
    LIRR Tag1 Both Sides (Medium).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 954
Upvote 0

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Nice RR tag B! Makes me a little homesick for Long Island.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hey, that's a great find! Now you're going to have to go over everyplace you've already searched....

Good luck with the DFX - I just switched, too.

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
That is AWESOME!!!! I love that RR tag. Nice first find.

I am also a total newbie this past week with my brand new DFX 300. As much as I want to try things like Mixed Mode and Tone ID, etc., as I see others posting programs they use all the time with Mixed Mode on, it seems like there are just way too many zips and zaps and blips and bleeps when I try these features. I end up defaulting back to one of the stock programs like coins or coins & jewelry.

If you learn anything handy, please pass it along.

Jim

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your new machine AND your great tag find "B". :thumbsup:
Sweet find for sure.
-MM-

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty nice L.I. R/R relic bmanly :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:
A DFX is a great birthday present to yourself !!!! Happy belated birthday

Derek :icon_king:

P / S ....My birthdaay is Nov. 15th :wink:

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
new machine huh dude? very cool! Funny thing is, I was just going to write you to see how you were doing :)
Nice tag! Love that kind of stuff. Good luck with the machine.. if it was an ExpII I could help you out with some tips ;)

stormfighter

Mar 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
DFX
NICE FIND!! I have hunted hard in many locations with my DFX.You should get "Digging Deeper with the DFX" by Jeff Foster.It explains things in a way that you can understand all of the functions clearly.I have found money at 12" on the beach and have found small tokens,keys,coins,rings and such at depths the park ranger would have thrown me out for life.It is an awsome machine.
Good luck!! Save some for the rest of us! DAN :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ziphius said:
Nice RR tag B! Makes me a little homesick for Long Island.

Thanks!

You live in San Diego, and you're homesick for Long Island? How is that possible? :wink:

Cheers and HH,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kimsdad said:
Hey, that's a great find! Now you're going to have to go over everyplace you've already searched....

Good luck with the DFX - I just switched, too.

Very true. Ah, it never ends....

What do you find to be the biggest differences between the XLT and DFX?

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
time4me said:
That is AWESOME!!!! I love that RR tag. Nice first find.

I am also a total newbie this past week with my brand new DFX 300. As much as I want to try things like Mixed Mode and Tone ID, etc., as I see others posting programs they use all the time with Mixed Mode on, it seems like there are just way too many zips and zaps and blips and bleeps when I try these features. I end up defaulting back to one of the stock programs like coins or coins & jewelry.

If you learn anything handy, please pass it along.

Jim

Will do. Please do the same!

I actually used mixed mode a bit on my XLT. There's a few custom relic programs out there that use it. It's kind of neat -- the biggest is that it combines all-metal mode with discrimination, so you know where every single piece of metal is in the ground, but only get the high-pitched signals when that metal meets your discrimination settings. However I've had much better luck with a modified coin/beach program.

Good luck with yours!

Cheers and HH,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEdirtdigger62569 said:
Go to www.dfxonly.com there is alot more information posted there about that particular detector. I know 'cause I have one and have several postings there.

Thanks! Yeah, I checked that site out a bit. Cool stuff!

Cheers and HH,
B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread