Enormous bronze lamps from noted collection

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea what to call these or even whether or not theyā€™re complete, but I saw the Wolfson inventory numbers and couldnā€™t say no. Mitchell Wolfson is a well-known art collector and philanthropist here in Miami, with an art museum (the Wolfsonian on Miami Beach) named after them.

These are far afield of what I usually buy / sell, so will probably sell on consignment.

Any idea as to era / style aside from simply ā€˜Art Nouveauā€™? Also, I want to call them sconces, but they seem a little big for that... about 28ā€ and 25lbs each.

Any help appreciated!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516927695.209462.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spoke with someone from the Wolfsonian museum, these were found among the Wolfson familyā€™s furnishings and donated at some point. So they are definitely something. Still not sure of maker or style. I guess ā€˜Victorian,ā€™ now that Im looking at similar items on eBay. No markings anywhere. Kinda at a loss when it comes to putting a price on these, but have a couple people already interested in the $500 range

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinions... Rococo in style. Seem to be missing the globes. They are sconces but palatial in size. You could call it a wall torchiere I guess. What does the top view look like? Is there a burner or a light fitting? Are they wired or is there any evidence of a gas line or fittings on them? All of this could help in determining age. Also, no other markings anywhere on them?

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinions... Rococo in style. Seem to be missing the globes. They are sconces but palatial in size. You could call it a wall torchiere I guess. What does the top view look like? Is there a burner or a light fitting? Are they wired or is there any evidence of a gas line or fittings on them? All of this could help in determining age. Also, no other markings anywhere on them?

Rococo is a more precise description. Thanks!

Had a potential buyer check them out today. He thinks they are intended for electric light, probably electric candles. This makes sense. No evidence of a gas line; also, the bronze leaves surrounding the light source would probably blacken or warp if exposed to flame, even under glass. They are quite thin.

Strangely, the end pieces do unscrew, and the body of each lamp has a few points of articulation. It seems like the center tubes can be undone from the globe area, but I canā€™t get them unstuck. The holes behind the ornamental screws are too shallow to really accommodate anything. I am perplexed. See pics.

No markings whatsoever. Iā€™ve done everything but pull them apart piece by piece. Can you think of a crazy place they might be hidden?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517026891.426567.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517026906.269919.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517026923.009635.jpg

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better pic of light fittings ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517027035.219316.jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is they probably came from a movie theater or hotel from the turn of the century. Even possibly train station or something grand like that. I got a believe theyā€™re worth thousand dollars.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like something that came off the Boothill Express. I submitted a vote on that ultra-cool creation for best of show at an auto show back around 1974? To this day, I still think it was one of the best custom built hot rods ever built.

Attachments

• 2881022833_c57d535d57_b.jpg
    2881022833_c57d535d57_b.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool car ā€” is that a modified funeral coach? Hadnā€™t thought of these being used in that fashion, but anything is possible.

For the record, it does not look like these have ever been mounted.

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517243598.406001.jpg Not the most detailed appraisal, but in line with my assumptions after researching Digā€™s messages. $2-3k. Not a bad return on $40.

Interestingly, this appraiser thinks they are set up for gas, not electric, but most Iā€™ve shown it to say otherwise.

I see no reason you couldnā€™t just wire it up...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread