Entire US Cartridge Box!! Both plates bullets *UPDATE* the rest from the hole!!

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Still working my good spot... approached it from a different angle... I didn't have as much time to dig as I would have liked ended up talking to the landowner for a while... so... 1/3 of the way in with nothing to show for it except a couple new bullets and one flat button.. I get a power hit.. jumping all over... really good and crappy iron mixed in. Getting close to dark... and past my time to be home... I almost left it for next time but decided to make it the last hole and then head out... I dug down about 6" or so and then switch to the pinpointer... mainly for the light and it was a constant tone all over the bottom of the hole... so now.. I'm thinking big chunk of iron!! well.. the next deep scoop was loaded with 3 ringers!! I start widening the hole.. and pulling up two hands of dirt at a time and piling it up.. ended up being the remains of a dropped/tossed cartridge box!! Dug the Box Plate, Eagle Plate, a couple of rivets and 17 3 ringers!!! I cleaned out the hole and there was a massive piece of iron below it... I'll go back and just dig the whole area out now, trash pit maybe??? The ironic part is I dug a bunch of relics within 100' of this 3 years ago but this area was so over grown it was not huntable... It's late... I'm starving.. so I'll post cleaned up pics later...

Enjoy!!

MonkeyBoy

April 8th - I had a little time to go back out and dig out somemore of the hole.. I did get a few more 3 ringers deeper and a little off to the right of the rest. I pulled as much of the iron out as I could.. seems like trashpit iron to me but??? No idea what it is.. I've seen the circle piece of iron before.. the rest was pretty rotted so any ideas please post them!!! I circled out into the woods and dug a nice eagle button and one lone dropped 3 ringer before the rain got to heavy!

Attachments

• cardridgebox.jpg
    cardridgebox.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 4,728
  • group1.jpg
    group1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 3,455
  • plate1.jpg
    plate1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 3,435
  • plate2.jpg
    plate2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 3,441
  • iron1.jpg
    iron1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 3,425
  • iron2.jpg
    iron2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 3,419
  • iron3.jpg
    iron3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 3,413
Upvote 2

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Entire US Cartridge Box!! Both plates, bullets and some rivets

Dang MonkeyBoy....didn't I just get on to you last week about saving some for other folks ;D ;D ;D ;D

That being said, this is truly a Banner day and you have my vote for it :icon_thumleft: WOW......Im envious, jealous,
and P.O.ed ......I've only dug ONE PLATE in the last TWO YEARS :-\ but Congrats to you!

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the plate alone should be a banner.......and the other goodies icing on the cake!!!! :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

{Sentinel} said:
Dang MonkeyBoy....didn't I just get on to you last week about saving some for other folks ;D ;D ;D ;D

That being said, this is truly a Banner day and you have my vote for it :icon_thumleft: WOW......Im envious, jealous,
and P.O.ed ......I've only dug ONE PLATE in the last TWO YEARS :-\ but Congrats to you!

Thanks Sentinel! I am saving stuff!! I only really dug one good hole last night!!! ;D

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

You have a fantastic spot there. Shame it had to wait that long, but at least you were able to get to it cleanly and it was you who had the chance! Would be nice to see the full display of your finds at the area once you're finished (especially for us Northerners who don't really get to dig those type of relics!). Seems like you may have a mini CW relic museum all your own. BTW, this should be a banner.

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

Master Sarge said:
Hey Monkey Boy, is that area a camp site or was there a battle in that area? Great Job!!!!

I have no idea anymore!!! I thought I had this figured out.... we had a small skirmish that I traced through the records.. the "main" camp, small as it was, of the NY unit that was approaching town was found and dug years ago by someone else, I had no idea it was there!! We did get 3 plates, my son's first!!! there last year.. then I followed the best approach around the mountain to where they ran into the small Confederate unit that drove them away. In the NY units defense, they had no idea how many they were facing but it was a pretty small group involved in the skirmish.. the site I dug last year too.. posted the one piece VA button, cape pin and other relics I found there.. everything I have found since last week has been between the two sites, the small camp and the skirmish.. I had hunted that area... just higher upon the mountain where it is flatter.. I found the other stuff only because I was taking a shortcut up the mountain.. if you saw the area.. you would not think there would be much there.. all the pieces "fit" that this was all related but I can't be sure without a unit ID disk or something like that.. we had a lot Union guys march back and forth through our town.. so like I said.. it all "fits" and I have found NY buttons at each spot along the route.. but heck.. you find those everywhere.. so the research fits the actual findings in the field so to speak.. but I can't prove it is the same unit 100%...

MB

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't even know what to say. These finds are freaking amazing. Congratulations! You have dug a complete collection in a few weeks now. Great job and what a sweet spot. Just let me know when you need my help to dig...... :laughing7:

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

Wow!! Thanks everybody!!

MB

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Absolutely amazing!!!! BANNER ALL THE WAY. That display is going to look awesome. Just imagine, when you dig out the rest of the hole you could have yourself one heck of a trash pit!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MonkeyBoy said:
Master Sarge said:
Hey Monkey Boy, is that area a camp site or was there a battle in that area? Great Job!!!!

I have no idea anymore!!! I thought I had this figured out.... we had a small skirmish that I traced through the records.. the "main" camp, small as it was, of the NY unit that was approaching town was found and dug years ago by someone else, I had no idea it was there!! We did get 3 plates, my son's first!!! there last year.. then I followed the best approach around the mountain to where they ran into the small Confederate unit that drove them away. In the NY units defense, they had no idea how many they were facing but it was a pretty small group involved in the skirmish.. the site I dug last year too.. posted the one piece VA button, cape pin and other relics I found there.. everything I have found since last week has been between the two sites, the small camp and the skirmish.. I had hunted that area... just higher upon the mountain where it is flatter.. I found the other stuff only because I was taking a shortcut up the mountain.. if you saw the area.. you would not think there would be much there.. all the pieces "fit" that this was all related but I can't be sure without a unit ID disk or something like that.. we had a lot Union guys march back and forth through our town.. so like I said.. it all "fits" and I have found NY buttons at each spot along the route.. but heck.. you find those everywhere.. so the research fits the actual findings in the field so to speak.. but I can't prove it is the same unit 100%...

MB

So it sounds like these finds are coming up on the side of a hill. My mentor dug that cartridge box on the side of a hill as well. Might've been an outpost of the camp (picket) on that hill because of the view. Lots of traffic during the CW (even repeated traffic, for days) over inacessible or steep ground. The soldiers went just about everywhere. That's why, in a CW area, just about any piece of land that's in the ballpark location-wise is good.

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

banner find, still waiting for the day i can hunt for some CW stuff...six

Dixiedigger

Dec 2, 2009
Southern Middle TN
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher f75

Man you have a sweet spot. Sounds like you have done a lot of research also. I hope the site keeps producing for you :thumbsup:

crashbro17x

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300 w/950 coil, Bounty Hunter, Discover 3300 w/a 10" Bounty Hunter, Magnum Power Search Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

So, does this make 5 plates off of the same place within a couple of weeks now, or is this an older post? Either way, you my friend, are tearing it up! Congrats on one heck of a honey hole. You are a lucky fella! :wink:

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

crashbro17x said:
So, does this make 5 plates off of the same place within a couple of weeks now, or is this an older post? Either way, you my friend, are tearing it up! Congrats on one heck of a honey hole. You are a lucky fella! :wink:

Well... in the last week.. that would be 6 plates and two rosettes... from the entire "hunt" which has been over a year with research.. freaking 100" of snow slow to the process, life getting in the way... it is a about a dozen plates now..

MB

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

BuckleBoy said:
MonkeyBoy said:
Master Sarge said:

MB

So it sounds like these finds are coming up on the side of a hill. My mentor dug that cartridge box on the side of a hill as well. Might've been an outpost of the camp (picket) on that hill because of the view. Lots of traffic during the CW (even repeated traffic, for days) over inacessible or steep ground. The soldiers went just about everywhere. That's why, in a CW area, just about any piece of land that's in the ballpark location-wise is good.

HA! That is funny.. one of my standard sayings for the last 15 years has been "Always pound the hillsides!"" I swear I have dug more plates.. and the best buttons off the slopes of picket posts and camps...

MB

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MonkeyBoy said:
HA! That is funny.. one of my standard sayings for the last 15 years has been "Always pound the hillsides!"" I swear I have dug more plates.. and the best buttons off the slopes of picket posts and camps...

MB

The added bonus--is that whatever was lost or dropped there...likely is still there! It's hard hunting walking up and down a hillside in the woods all day--which is why many hunters don't even bother with the hills. :wink:

I keep looking at this post. That's a great find worthy of a display case to itself.

-Buckles

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

BuckleBoy said:
MonkeyBoy said:

MB

The added bonus--is that whatever was lost or dropped there...likely is still there! It's hard hunting walking up and down a hillside in the woods all day--which is why many hunters don't even bother with the hills. :wink:

I keep looking at this post. That's a great find worthy of a display case to itself.

-Buckles

I keep my larger groupings together... so yeah.. this will probably get it's own framed display case... ran out of display room a long time ago.. great problem to have!!

MB

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MonkeyBoy said:
I keep my larger groupings together... so yeah.. this will probably get it's own framed display case... ran out of display room a long time ago.. great problem to have!!

MB

I always keep pieces that are part of an obvious grouping, or part of the same relic together with each other in their own case. I'm running out of room too. Those companies that manufacture Riker mounts must LOVE me. Wish I'd bought stock...

:D

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

BuckleBoy said:
MonkeyBoy said:

MB

I always keep pieces that are part of an obvious grouping, or part of the same relic together with each other in their own case. I'm running out of room too. Those companies that manufacture Riker mounts must LOVE me. Wish I'd bought stock...

:D

HA! Same here... buy them by the case!!!

Bullets usually go in .50 Cal and flare ammo cans I.. uh.. "found" in the Marines... ;-) but I'm getting low on those... usually pass them out to people who are interested... and throw them in as "bonus" surprise items on eBay...

MB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread