Entire US Cartridge Box!! Both plates bullets *UPDATE* the rest from the hole!!

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Still working my good spot... approached it from a different angle... I didn't have as much time to dig as I would have liked ended up talking to the landowner for a while... so... 1/3 of the way in with nothing to show for it except a couple new bullets and one flat button.. I get a power hit.. jumping all over... really good and crappy iron mixed in. Getting close to dark... and past my time to be home... I almost left it for next time but decided to make it the last hole and then head out... I dug down about 6" or so and then switch to the pinpointer... mainly for the light and it was a constant tone all over the bottom of the hole... so now.. I'm thinking big chunk of iron!! well.. the next deep scoop was loaded with 3 ringers!! I start widening the hole.. and pulling up two hands of dirt at a time and piling it up.. ended up being the remains of a dropped/tossed cartridge box!! Dug the Box Plate, Eagle Plate, a couple of rivets and 17 3 ringers!!! I cleaned out the hole and there was a massive piece of iron below it... I'll go back and just dig the whole area out now, trash pit maybe??? The ironic part is I dug a bunch of relics within 100' of this 3 years ago but this area was so over grown it was not huntable... It's late... I'm starving.. so I'll post cleaned up pics later...

Enjoy!!

MonkeyBoy

April 8th - I had a little time to go back out and dig out somemore of the hole.. I did get a few more 3 ringers deeper and a little off to the right of the rest. I pulled as much of the iron out as I could.. seems like trashpit iron to me but??? No idea what it is.. I've seen the circle piece of iron before.. the rest was pretty rotted so any ideas please post them!!! I circled out into the woods and dug a nice eagle button and one lone dropped 3 ringer before the rain got to heavy!

Attachments

• cardridgebox.jpg
    cardridgebox.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 4,728
  • group1.jpg
    group1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 3,455
  • plate1.jpg
    plate1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 3,435
  • plate2.jpg
    plate2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 3,441
  • iron1.jpg
    iron1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 3,425
  • iron2.jpg
    iron2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 3,419
  • iron3.jpg
    iron3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 3,413
Upvote 2

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Entire US Cartridge Box!! Both plates, bullets and some rivets

That's nuts dude! Congrats on having the privilege to find all that! Keep enjoying your hunts!

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
Re: Entire US Cartridge Box!! Both plates, bullets and some rivets

wow great finds :o :thumbsup:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Entire US Cartridge Box!! Both plates, bullets and some rivets*UPDATE* the rest

Jeez again Mark!

You are one of the Better CW diggers on this site hands down..
I think I will name you king of "BUCKLES" You are the original Buckleman :wink:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Re: Entire US Cartridge Box!! Both plates, bullets and some rivets*UPDATE* the rest

Congrats man,

You have some really great sites.

HH Jer

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once and a while i see posts like this that keeps me going. CONGRATS !! :thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Entire US Cartridge Box!! Both plates bullets *UPDATE* the rest from the ho

Great Banner Monkey Boy. What a thrill is must have been as you saw it all coming out of the ground. Really cool find. Congratulations.
TnMtns

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
Re: Entire US Cartridge Box!! Both plates bullets *UPDATE* the rest from the ho

Great banner but I have a feeling that the best is yet to come! :sunny:

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Can't tell for certain, but your iron bits look like ration can pieces to me, the round piece definitely looks like a rat can cap. Congrats on all your finds, they're nothing short of amazing!

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what a great find-congrats and hope you find more! banner 4 sure! :thumbsup:

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats Mark! Awesome banner find!
Mike

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

4-H said:
Jeez again Mark!

You are one of the Better CW diggers on this site hands down..
I think I will name you king of "BUCKLES" You are the original Buckleman :wink:

Wow!! Thanks...

MB

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those plates cleaned up well ,a entire box of bullets WTG :icon_thumleft: Congrats on the Banner :thumbsup: Dd60

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
jrsherman said:
Can't tell for certain, but your iron bits look like ration can pieces to me, the round piece definitely looks like a rat can cap. Congrats on all your finds, they're nothing short of amazing!

I think you might have nailed it, after after doing a google search... I won't mention the pieces that sort of looked like that I've tossed in the iron bin over the years.. :o

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MonkeyBoy said:
jrsherman said:

I think you might have nailed it, after after doing a google search... I won't mention the pieces that sort of looked like that I've tossed in the iron bin over the years.. :o

I don't think that's a ration can, but rather a tin insert (or what's left of it) from the cartridge box. All of the pieces except one are flat and squared off with corners. It looks like badly decomposed tin to me, not iron--and I think I can see part of the "lip" on the insert in one of the bigger pieces you just dug. (Where the tin was folded over at the top, like in my link above). There is only one round piece, and I don't know what that is.

http://www.saylerscreekrelics.com/sc1406.4.bmp

Did you find the finial from the box yet? (It may have been lost before the box was lost or tossed).

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
BuckleBoy said:
MonkeyBoy said:
jrsherman said:

I don't think that's a ration can, but rather a tin insert (or what's left of it) from the cartridge box. All of the pieces except one are flat and squared off with corners. It looks like badly decomposed tin to me, not iron--and I think I can see part of the "lip" on the insert in one of the bigger pieces you just dug. (Where the tin was folded over at the top, like in my link above). There is only one round piece, and I don't know what that is.

http://www.saylerscreekrelics.com/sc1406.4.bmp

Did you find the finial from the box yet? (It may have been lost before the box was lost or tossed).

Regards,

Buckles

Nope.. no finial.. I was looking at all the pics I could find of the tin inserts.. and I could not match it up.. it does make sense.. but they are so rotted hard to tell.. but.. I'm going to dig out the whole area sooo hopefully the NEXT Cartridgebox will be in better shape and I will be able to tell. ;D

MB

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That tin you found is absolutely the cartridge box tin! Congrats on the banner. Keep up the good work!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you got piece's of both the tin box and ration can's.Nice clean up Mark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread