Entrance Exam for the Iron Brigade

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
At least that's what it felt like yesterday afternoon. I believe I set a "personal best" of approximately eighteen pounds of iron dug in under half an hour ;D. Best part about it is that it's all early to mid 1800s iron. Joe (NC-Joe) and I have been researching an area for a while now that we believed to have been an old town back in the 1800s. When we finally narrowed the area down to approximately 200 acres, permission to hunt the land was secured (one of my photography clients owns 55 of the acres and was able to get us permission from the other landowner). The big thing for us now was trying to find the few giant oaks in the middle of a huge tract of pines. Joe, being the unbelievable "map for a brain" guy that he is, pretty much eyeballed where they would be just by what he seen on the aerial photos. We walked about thirty yards into the woods when we spotted the first oak - twenty or so yards away was the next - there were five or six that had to be at least 300 to 350 years old. The sheer girth of these trees made me feel like I was a model in need of a sandwich... ;D.
Anyway, we spent so much time looking over the property, we decided to only swing around the area of the trees and go for about an hour or so depending on what the finds were like. Needless to say, we found iron! My first hit nearly blew my 'phones apart - from eight inches I pulled my very first axehead. To say I was excited would be an understatement - Lord knows I probably scared every turkey and deer within a mile of where I was standing when I shouted out to Joe :D. Literally, about six inches away I got another blast to my head - another axehead from about five inches - I was freakin' out. Checking my plug (okay, it was definitely larger than a plug when pulling these out :wink:) I was still getting a monster-sized signal! After digging another three inches, I pulled up the old iron. Unfortunately, the handle is gone and the very tip has been broken (or cut?) off - but it's still something that ties into the history of the area. Joe pulled an old collar for an axe and dug an old hoe blade as well - very cool piece (see pic) - has a "heart" shape to it. It started to get dark so we called it quits for the day. I'll definitely be heading back to see what else is in the area where I pulled the big irons from - I did find glass shards in one of the holes from one the many square nails I pulled.
I would like to thank Mojjax for taking the time to i.d. the axeheads for me - :thumbsup:
Looks to be the top one is a "New Jersey" style and the bottom is a "Kentucky" style. While they may look the same, there are some slight variances when compared "in the hand".
If anyone knows anything about the "Big Boy" bottle (on the left), I'd appreciate the info. The other large bottle is a Royal Crown Cola ('51 ?). Forgot the lantern piece too - haven't been able to read what's on the adjuster yet - will post when it's clean.
I will post some better images of the finds as I clean them. Hope you enjoy what's here for now. Thanks for stopping by, and keep on swingin'... :thumbsup:

Attachments

• mv1 (Small).jpg
    mv1 (Small).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 719
  • mv2 (Small).jpg
    mv2 (Small).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 722
  • mv3 (Small).jpg
    mv3 (Small).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 720
  • mv4 (Small).jpg
    mv4 (Small).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 714
  • mv5 (Small).jpg
    mv5 (Small).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 719
Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well by the looks of your finds you passed with a 100 ;D At least it's old iron. Get it cleaned up will make way for the better stuff below :icon_sunny:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Some really cool stuff you found there! I can't wait to see what else you find in the area....this is going to be good!! :thumbsup:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andy,
Looks like you guys are on to a nice old spot there. Congrats on the axe heads & ID's. :thumbsup:
Next will be buttons & IH's.
-Doug-

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
You sure did sum things up very well Andy. I had a blast. The time riding around in the Kobuta, talking, reading the land and actually finding the trees was a successful adventure in it self. Finding the axe heads, nails, glass, latern pieces and foundation stones supports the theory the town was located there. I do want to go further off the trail to the East to see if there are anymore foundations or signs of structures, since we stayed at the hill top around the first 7 oaks in the middle of the pine forrest!

There IS more to be found there, I would imagine in short order the flat buttons will be coming out of the ground and possibly a few early coppers. I am not sure there will be much from the war there, or even much silver, there are definately going to be some interesting finds. Keep in mind, the town was pretty much gone by the civil war.

Please be sure to thank our hosts once again. The time there was great, the conversation and education of the land was excellent and other than the Steelers stuff, it was a most enjoyable day.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool post Double D. Yep....I'd say you passed :thumbsup: Just think of what's waitin' underneath all that iron though :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty good, Grasshopper. :icon_jokercolor:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for $5 i will tell you what the bottom thing is in the 2nd pic if you dont know ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
for $5 i will tell you what the bottom thing is in the 2nd pic if you dont know ;D

Tell him AA. Andy will gladly pay you on Tuesday. ;D
-MM-

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
aa battery said:

Tell him AA. Andy will gladly pay you on Tuesday. ;D
-MM-

:D :D :D HAHAHAHA!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zoom zoom, DD~! :D :thumbsup:

Sounds like an exciting place!! 8) Go find the goodies!!

Nana :wink:

Maverick29

Oct 26, 2008
nice finds andy and joe. Sounds like a great place to md. Hope to get to see it sometime. See ya later. Maverick29(Chris)

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
aa battery said:

Sorry AA, I told Andy what it was when he pull it out of his pouch..... he found the insert of a side board on a bed (allows it to hook onto the pins in the head or foot board).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread