Barber Dime ~ Injun ~ Mercs ~ Silver Ring ~ 1887 1 Sen ~ 15S Semi Key Wheatie

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone!!

I went back to one of my favorite Barrio parks again for a couple short hunts, and the park is still producing for me.

On Friday, I was there for a couple of hours, hunting near the area I dug the '04 injun last week. I couldn't believe I had left the 1912 Barber Dime there. It was masked by a shallow zinc penny, so clearing the area of the shallow trash/clad helped me get this one. Today, I had some more luck at the park. It was very warm, around 90 degrees, with 12% humidity. I managed two mercury dimes('18, '25S), an interesting silver ring, a 1901 Indian Head penny, a 1915 S semi-key wheatie, a 1943 Cinco Centavos, an 1887 Japanese 1 Sen coin, and 15 wheaties. The Japanese coin is a beauty. It took me a while to figure out the date of the coin from the symbols on the internet, but I finally found one with the same symbols on it: 1887.

So, another couple of nice hunts at the Barrio. Some of the coins were very deep. Around the 9" mark, while most were in the 5-7" range, and next to trashy targets.

Thanks for looking!!
Keep The Passion High!! :thumbsup:

CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_3314_sm.jpg
    IMG_3314_sm.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_3316_sm.jpg
    IMG_3316_sm.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 633
  • 1_Sen.jpg
    1_Sen.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_3315_sm.jpg
    IMG_3315_sm.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_3319_sm.jpg
    IMG_3319_sm.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 640
Upvote 0

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
Re: Barber Dime ~ Injun ~ Mercs ~ Silver Ring ~ 1887 1 Sen ~ 15S Semi Key Wheati

WTG Dan,Congrats on the Barber and the mercs. Looks like that park is a little older.I hope you find a Gold coin this year !!!! Did you scan your finds or use a camera. They turned out very clear. Have a Good one and Good luck on your next hunt !!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Dan, great variety of finds big guy. :icon_king: Congrats on the 1915 "S" wheat, and of course the other great coins.
Very weird ring indeed. 90 degrees! You dog. :wink:
Congrats,
Doug

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Cap.

That ring is interesting being offset like that. Is it a ruby? hope so for you. What did it show on your detector?

Nice Barber too. I see a lot of them on here in the 1903 to 1912 period. Must have been a good time to loose money.

SKD

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, especially love that Barber dime and the Japanese coin. Its amazing that you continue to get production from these parks, a testament to your skill. FYI,you are killing us with talk about temperatures in the 90's--looks like temperatures will be in the teens later this week in Maryland!

coinstar

Apr 8, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy you had a great day both ways ,90 degrees and some great coinage.I'll bet you're going back tomorrow.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey dan,

great start to the new year, i see you picked up my barber dime for me thanks :)
we're under 7 inches of snow now with bitter cold weather for the next 10 days - i am going crazy wanting to get out here !

keep the posts coming man,

kevin

S

seger98

Incredible finds, nice silvers & I really like that Japanese coin!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Yet another nice batch of finds! Aside from that, taunting us with talk of your 90 degree weather is just plain cruel! We're expecting temps below zero later this week; it'll be a long time before I do any detectin' :'(

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Oh yeah ~ nice going there Dan! That's always fun to find a little of everything ~ a very nice variety of goodies there!

WOOHOO!!!

topdog

Dec 2, 2007
Navarre, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
WTG Dan, you are off to a great start for the New Year. Awesome looking Mercs, and Barber dime, that's one cool looking ring that you found. Nice Wheat count and a Semi key date 15S, Continued Success throughout the year.

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Nice hunts Dan! Gotta love this California weather we're having right now. Major bummer for me is that I was planning on going out all day tomorrow (Tuesday), and I got selected for jury duty today on a case that is supposed to last three days - :BangHead:

Congrats on the nice finds, and keep it up!

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Great hunting as always Dan. I frickin' love that ring. They must mow the lawn alot more than here. You find the most half and cut coins I've seen. Good Luck on the next visit.
Take care, Mike

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
very nice job on the silver coins!!! Good job on the 15S wheatie! :) I got one of those as well last year! :) Nice job on the silver ring too! Its a beauty! :)

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of very nice hunts Dan. WTG :thumbsup:
Even in already hunted areas, you still manage to pull out some
silver coins and a variety of interesting treasures. Congrats on the
mercs and the wheats. The Japaneese coin is interesting and in fair shape.
Sorry to hear that it was ONLY 90 degrees there. Some of us would
like you to share the warmth. Gold Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, Dan My wife said that the Japanese coin is from the 12Th year of the Meiji era. How did you figure the 1887 date? I found one here in Ohio last year at my families old farm. I had a great uncle who was lost in the Philipines (Battan death march) in 1944. He was with a friend from Columbus, Ohio. He just died several years ago. He used to visit my great grandparents farm where the coin was found. My guess is that he brought it back from the war as a war souvenir and lost it on the farm. I saw that you were getting a SantaAna, and Los Angeles was 85 yesterday. Lucky you. I'll trade places as it will be only 5 on Friday......... that's the high. Great finds as usual. Your the man :icon_sunny:

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Very nice assortment of finds Dan! :thumbsup: Please send some of that nice weather our way.

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that Japanese coin is awesome. I love obscure finds like that. And the ring is so cool...I score it extremely high in the unusual department. ;D Good-looking barber too. Well done and rock on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread