Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the cavalry is on the way

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Time will tell and ACTION speaks louder than words! Ive seen what a person would think would do a good job only to be a wimp and go the other way! like I said , time will tell! GET involved and let these people know your thoughts and why you feel that way BUT BE POLITE And COURTIOUS !

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one am impressed with PE Trump's list, especially for Pruitt and McMorris. These two in those positions make me giddy as a school girl!

ratled

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
there needs to be a sane approach to mining and natural resource extraction.
I am not a greenie, but I have a strong appreciation for the world we live in and giving corporations the green light to do what they want regardless of consequences to our planet is a reckless approach.
we cannot have it all and neither can they.
like it or not, natural resources (including my favorite shiny yellow metal) are needed by a growing world population.
I've seen the deterioration of the environment in my short lifetime and if we don't start pursuing different courses, there won't be much of a planet left for the next generations.
I believe that dredging causes little damage but I've seen the results of large scale surface mining and the damage done will take millennia to heal in some cases.
we as miners should be environmentalists. not tree-hugging, dirt-worshipping morons.
we cannot be old style I'll-do-whatever-I-can-get-away-with-and-leave.
I've seen recent results of this attitude...on the south fork there are oil puddles up and down the river and guess where that came from?
you got it: some lazy good-for-nothing dredge operator who changed his pump motor oil and left it there. I want to kill those f**kers!

so before we go cheering for the new administration and what is perceived to be a no-holes-barred full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes approach to the environment we might pause and think.
we are not large scale miners and we have nothing in common with the corporations who operate them. I don't stand in any solidarity with them, with the exception being for the guy who has to work for them.
I come from coal mining stock on my moms' side and they were treated worse than the tailings.

and I've said this before and will say it again: if you think they care about you or me and our small-scale mining concerns, I've got a bridge or two to sell you (a rather large porfolio of bridges, if you're interested).

anyhow, that's my 2 pence worth, likely not a popular rant on this board, but I don't care, sue me for my opinion.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Make no mistake Pruitt is a politician and only a politician. He will go after or fight for what ever fills his ballot box. He is lower than dirt and that is my 2 cents.

OP
OP
R

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 8 years of unopposed environmental insanity , I for one look at the change as glass 1/2 full. Political hack or not, we should realize that Anything is an improvement over the belligerent, professional obstructionists that populate these ham handed agencies. Gezz ,lets give them a chance.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After 8 years of unopposed environmental insanity , I for one look at the change as glass 1/2 full. Political hack or not, we should realize that Anything is an improvement over the belligerent, professional obstructionists that populate these ham handed agencies. Gezz ,lets give them a chance.

You are correct and I most definitely am on your side but I live in Oklahoma and have been personally affected by him. I stand by my statement.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Two or three edged sword. Obviously could help rollback some of the extreme environmental laws. I've heard he is for States rights which could hurt. The small vs large miner question could tip either way. Not exactly a wash but a wait and see.

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Laz7777. Although this may lead to less mining regulations, allowing companies to do whatever they want to the environment should scare us all. What about our health? The health of our children? And the health of animals and the forests? Im not a tree-hugger but putting this man in this position is just plain scary. Yes many regs need to be reconsidered, but surely not eliminated.
The reach of government has been too strong in the last years, but that doesnt mean we should just chop its arm off. We should slap its hand and put it back in its place.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so the approach that if you can pay you can play is best? pollution is bad but if your huge you can pay to pollute. That right there shows its about money not the environment. One jerk who leaves his oil has nothing to do with the rest of us or the EPA for that matter.
The EPA exists to make sure that money gets to the government. They have no qualms about going after small land owners for building their own ponds. Including fining these individuals hundreds of thousands of dollars and putting them in prison. For making water storage on their own land. Using the CWA in the broadest terms possible to go after people.
A couple big companies (connected of course to someone) and push the rest out of our borders to places that really have lax regulation and extreme poverty to control workers. Means money for a small portion of our population.
I take huge issue with saying that our environment has been drastically changed or destroyed in recent years by resource development. Factually we have less polluted waterways in our country and cleaner air than we have had in the recent past. We lead the world in clean technology. The reason it is slow goin is cost. And pushing our resource development to areas where it is cheaper labor wise and easier to pay off regulators.
Anyone remember "acid rain"?
In 1905 the united states used about 85% fossil fuel to attain energy. Do you know what the percentage is today?........85%. Wrap your head around that.
The EPA is a way to generate revenue while skirting logic. The terrible side effect is loss of technological advantage and creating people that believe the government is here to fix things. Pretty crappy side effects. That's why I don't swallow those pills!
Any big companies that "don't care " about the small guys are the ones who want the EPA because they can afford it.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is one of 25+ states Ag's who sued epa. He was also part of a group that went against them to fight their sue and settle tactics. His efforts have not been solo. Believing that a new appointee means there will be no regulation is silly. Trump has said that for every new reg. he wants two pointless ones gone.

We have congress we have state legislature. The Epa skirts both and is filled with and influence by activism not law and logic. Look at the spill in Colorado. have they been held accountable? How could they be. They were shielded by the Administration. If a mine operator did that activists and groups and the EPA would have sued the living crap out of them and one via settlement or fines.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread