🥇 BANNER Epic Holey Seated Coin Cache Dug

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I haven't been getting to hunt as much as I'd like to this year as my wife and I had a baby girl in May. She's a doll, but those of you with kids know the drill :tongue3:

Anyhow, my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday this month and I told her I wanted to go detecting for a few days at one of our old haunts, and to my amazement she said OK :headbang:

I was planning to go with TomCA, but he wasn't able to make it and I ended up going solo. This is a remote Spanish outpost site that we researched years ago. Tom's less crazy about it then I am, but I like the history around it and it's continued to produce interesting finds. It's a relaxing, beautiful place to detect, that just invokes early western frontier history, and almost every relic or coin you dig is dripping with age and history (for our neck of the woods that is).

Anyhow, I had planned to use my Multi Kruzer with a new 7" concentric coil to work in the iron, but due to a headphone issue, I had to switch over to my Equinox 800. Boy am I glad I did, I made one of my best finds to date! A seated coin cache that I will never forget digging, and not just a seated coin cache, but a coin cache/spill with a hole mystery :icon_scratch: Was it Indian trade jewelry?

Here's they are in all their glory:

45366828145_f5e5dbc3f1_o.jpg

I dug several nice relics, and was able to capture the coin cache dug live:

HH,
Cal

Upvote 123

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

Their seated dimes and half-dimes:

Seated half-dimes:

1858 O

Seated dimes:

1875 CC

Funny none has an 'S' Mint Mark ???
Other than the 'CC' those dimes def came from E of the Mississippi & that's a clue imo .
Ultra Cool Banner Find.
Davers

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So cool! Awesome siteand a well deserved banner! I’ll bet there is more too.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what a cool save! Congrats on the Banner:occasion14:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... What about the Rest of The relics ?...

The entire portfolio of our combined curiosities from this site, is worthy of a museum cabinet display. Reales, buttons, coins, curiosities, etc..... Amazing how the "private sector" sometimes has more info/eye-candy than the archie-sector.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Funny none has an 'S' Mint Mark ??? ...

Aaaahh, yes: Good observation. It was found in CA, after all. Is it too late to retract my banner vote ? haha

Seriously now: There' another oddity you can add to your effort to analyze this find !!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Well Mr. Cal-Cobra: I see you've made the coveted "banner" Congrats. That makes us even now (4 to 4). Hmmmm, ok ... does this mean your head is so big you can't fit through doors now ? Does this mean you can now retire to the sidelines as a sportscaster media person ??

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trade jewelry, is a very good interpretation!
Super Find! What an awesome thing to remember digging!
Glad you recorded the dig! :thumbsup:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Double congrats

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really enjoyed your video. What a great find!!! I've never come across a cache of coins, so I can't quite imagine how pumped up you were ( I'm guessing off the scale). Congratulations!!!!!

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That find is so awesome. It just blows my mind. Way to go and we’ll deserved banner.

To my way of thinking it could have been jewelry, but could it also be that someone put their coins on a string to keep from looseing them? Maybe he didn’t have a pouch or pocket to put them in so he wore them. Just a thought.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That find is so awesome. It just blows my mind. Way to go and we’ll deserved banner.

To my way of thinking it could have been jewelry, but could it also be that someone put their coins on a string to keep from looseing them? Maybe he didn’t have a pouch or pocket to put them in so he wore them. Just a thought.

All the holed silvers Ive seen and found were holed through the side, not on center. Jewelry or trade silver imo. I have found some large coppers with holes in the center but I think they were used as washers or hammered above doorways for good luck Ive also heard

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mystery solved...

Used as washers to keep a cabin warmer. Nail a animal hide to the wall to keep the wind out. I have seen this in some old cabins here in Colorado with this kind of interior.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
According to the inflation calculator, $1.10 in 1882 = $27.18 in 2018..That would make them expensive nail washers.

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The square holes are from using a nail to punch the hole.Take a look at a modern nail,the point is square.

I should have clarified, the coins with the 'round holes' were likely made with a 'round-headed' nail which is a more 'modern design' of nail. Consequently, the coins with the square-hole were likely holed earlier with a 'square-nail'. Of course, this is subject to debate because some of the coins you found look to have also served as buttons... all be it very expensive buttons for the time period. :laughing7:

Most everyone who detects older sites knows that handmade nails are older than machine made nails. At the beginning of the 19th century, most square nails were made entirely by hand at the forge. A nail cutting machine designed in the 1790s cut the nail's shank and reduced hand labor to only forming the head of the nail. At the time of their introduction, these machine cut nails were sometimes referred to as "cold nails" because they were not made at the forge. These machine/handmade nails were used up to the end of the 19th century. By the 1890s, the entire nail was completely machine formed producing the rounded shank or round-head wire nail that continues in use today.

Whatever your true coin story is we will likely never know, congratulations once again on your finds! :thumbsup:

Dave

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
All the holed silvers Ive seen and found were holed through the side, not on center. Jewelry or trade silver imo. I have found some large coppers with holes in the center but I think they were used as washers or hammered above doorways for good luck Ive also heard

Given the context and history of the site, and that we've found Indian trade silver items in this area, I think I 100% agree that these were used as Indian jewelry or trade silver items, not washers. There's no evidence of them being used as I've found holed coins used as washers and you can see whatever was nailed, screwed to it left a round wear mark.

Next time I'm able to get to this site, I'll definitely look for more and maybe some clues will surface to help solve this mystery :dontknow: Perhaps if the ground is dryer on the next trip, it would be worth screening the patch of dirt these coins came from, who knows what else ended up there after whatever burned down deposited all these into the earth.

GL&HH,
Cal

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find. Very interesting. Congrats.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... it would be worth screening the patch of dirt these coins came from,...

I vote for pulling out those sagebrushes (or bring your weedwacker) that were directly adjacent to your hot-spot. I know you said you thrust your coil in as far as it would go under the adjacent bushes. But they shouldn't be too hard to pull out, and check better, eh ?

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Given the context and history of the site, and that we've found Indian trade silver items in this area, I think I 100% agree that these were used as Indian jewelry or trade silver items, not washers. There's no evidence of them being used as I've found holed coins used as washers and you can see whatever was nailed, screwed to it left a round wear mark.

Next time I'm able to get to this site, I'll definitely look for more and maybe some clues will surface to help solve this mystery :dontknow: Perhaps if the ground is dryer on the next trip, it would be worth screening the patch of dirt these coins came from, who knows what else ended up there after whatever burned down deposited all these into the earth.

GL&HH,
Cal

Congratulations... I am up in Fort Bragg, Ca. You need to buy a copy of "Two Peoples One Place". Its a book on the history of Native people in Humbolt County. There is an example of an intact necklace within it with holed seated coins and beads, its actually located in the Clarke Museum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread