🥇 BANNER Epic Holey Seated Coin Cache Dug

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I haven't been getting to hunt as much as I'd like to this year as my wife and I had a baby girl in May. She's a doll, but those of you with kids know the drill :tongue3:

Anyhow, my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday this month and I told her I wanted to go detecting for a few days at one of our old haunts, and to my amazement she said OK :headbang:

I was planning to go with TomCA, but he wasn't able to make it and I ended up going solo. This is a remote Spanish outpost site that we researched years ago. Tom's less crazy about it then I am, but I like the history around it and it's continued to produce interesting finds. It's a relaxing, beautiful place to detect, that just invokes early western frontier history, and almost every relic or coin you dig is dripping with age and history (for our neck of the woods that is).

Anyhow, I had planned to use my Multi Kruzer with a new 7" concentric coil to work in the iron, but due to a headphone issue, I had to switch over to my Equinox 800. Boy am I glad I did, I made one of my best finds to date! A seated coin cache that I will never forget digging, and not just a seated coin cache, but a coin cache/spill with a hole mystery :icon_scratch: Was it Indian trade jewelry?

Here's they are in all their glory:

45366828145_f5e5dbc3f1_o.jpg

I dug several nice relics, and was able to capture the coin cache dug live:

HH,
Cal

Upvote 123

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Congratulations... I am up in Fort Bragg, Ca. You need to buy a copy of "Two Peoples One Place". Its a book on the history of Native people in Humbolt County. There is an example of an intact necklace within it with holed seated coins and beads, its actually located in the Clarke Museum.

ok, I'll admit, I'm a cheapskate, and didn't plunk down the on-line order so far. Thus please do tell: Are the holes in the center (like Cal-Cobra's types) or, along the edge (as normal "holed" coins tend to be ?)

Great input . Thanx !

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I heard it's easier to find a gold coin in cali than a seated coin.....is it true...?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I heard it's easier to find a gold coin in cali than a seated coin.....is it true...?

No. Not true. But it's easier to find a gold coin than a large cent here. I know MANY hunters here who have found gold coins (1, 2, 3, 7, 12, 15, etc...) yet have only ever found zero or 1 or 2 LC's in CA. But on the east coast, it's not unusual to bump into hunters who have found 100 PLUS LC's in their career, right ?

Yes, yes, I know your hearts bleed with sympathy for us west coast guys. Sorry 'bout that.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. Not true. But it's easier to find a gold coin than a large cent here. I know MANY hunters here who have found gold coins (1, 2, 3, 7, 12, 15, etc...) yet have only ever found zero or 1 or 2 LC's in CA. But on the east coast, it's not unusual to bump into hunters who have found 100 PLUS LC's in their career, right ?

Yes, yes, I know your hearts bleed with sympathy for us west coast guys. Sorry 'bout that.

Those early western settlers hated copper coinage and paper money. Was there no need for small change in gold rush areas

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I vote for pulling out those sagebrushes (or bring your weedwacker) that were directly adjacent to your hot-spot. I know you said you thrust your coil in as far as it would go under the adjacent bushes. But they shouldn't be too hard to pull out, and check better, eh ?

I learned more information as to why, in all likelihood all of our other detectors did not produce a "dig me" signal.

This area where the coins were located is scorched earth (as visible in the video). The Explorer2, F75, XLT, Racers, Silver Sabre, and others have all been over this exact patch of earth and did not produce a "dig me" signal on not one out of twelve silver coins or the jewelry that was dug.

Why? A little bit of research indicates that burn areas of any sort are trouble for a metal detector. Heating rocks or dirt actually realigns the magnetic particles and changes the nature of the material.

Maghemite (gamma ferric oxide) is an earthy iron oxide mineral found in most soils and some rocks. Red iron rust is a form of maghemite with which everyone is familiar. Maghemite is formed by the oxidation of lower oxidation state iron minerals such as magnetite, free iron and pyroxene. The oxidation commonly happens through weathering and exposure to fire. Maghemite is usually reddish brown or red in color, and even in low concentrations its color tends to dominate the material it’s in. Like magnetite, maghemite is high susceptible. It differs from magnetite in having a substantial loss angle, causing it to ground balance in the range of 40 to 80% of full scale on most metal detectors and under most conditions.

This scorched earth area has red soil, as noted above, and is the ONLY area at this site with such an anomaly. I believe the Equinox with MultiIQ is doing something different than all the other detectors, all run by seasoned detectorists. As you know Tom, I'm not a detector fan boy of any specific brand, you can see by my videos and detecting with me for years that I run a variety of detectors, and they all bring something different to the table as is the case here. No one detector does it all (contrary to some dinosaurs who believe the antiquated Explorer2 is a do it all detector :tongue3: )/

That said, I have some ideas to detect that same patch of earth on the next trip to may reveal more finds. Discussions on another forum have fostered some new ideas, such as using the Gold Prospecting modes, and even using 40kHz single frequency mode, both would effectively be akin to running a different detector over the ground, but the MultiIQ technology would still be in play which may be the key here.

We'll see, I may get a chance sooner then later to return if the stars and planets align properly - lol

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Congratulations... I am up in Fort Bragg, Ca. You need to buy a copy of "Two Peoples One Place". Its a book on the history of Native people in Humbolt County. There is an example of an intact necklace within it with holed seated coins and beads, its actually located in the Clarke Museum.

Thanks, I'll look into getting a copy of that book, would be interesting reading for sure :icon_thumright:

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds buddy! I am still trying for a seated and you found a spill. Congrats and great job.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Those early western settlers hated copper coinage and paper money. Was there no need for small change in gold rush areas

Well, here's how I attribute this too: When someone, during those LC circulating times (1850s) was getting ready to "head west", then the only ways to get to CA were : Overland by wagon (no railroad yet at those times), or ship (around the horn, or across the panama to catch another ship north). Hence cargo space and weight was at a PREMIUM.

So it wasn't that "miners hated small change". It was an issue of cargo space and weight. I mean, if you're getting ready to cross the USA in a wagon for months, do you take a single bust half ? Or do you take 50 large cents ?

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
ok, I'll admit, I'm a cheapskate, and didn't plunk down the on-line order so far. Thus please do tell: Are the holes in the center (like Cal-Cobra's types) or, along the edge (as normal "holed" coins tend to be ?)

Great input . Thanx !

They are holed on the edge in the books example. I wonder if these coins where attached to a Native American garment and their wigwam was torched? I cant see a white man of the day holing good spending currency to use as buttons.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Great input . Thanx !

Ummmmmm....yes it's true :censored:

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
They are holed on the edge in the books example. I wonder if these coins where attached to a Native American garment and their wigwam was torched? I cant see a white man of the day holing good spending currency to use as buttons.

Kind of what I'm thinking. And they were a bit spread out, over say about a 30 foot area in total. Ground zero was about a 12' or so area, but there were a few scattered about outside that zone, but still within 10 feet of it.

There's definitely a story there, and I plan to tackle that patch of dirt in a different manor on the next trip there, hopefully it reveals some more clues.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing, just amazing! Somebody sure was upset to loose all of those!

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
haha. I chose the wrong career, so I have to pinch pennies. I should have studied to be a 'puter security scientist, instead of a street sweeper dude, eh ?

Not sure technology has worked out that great, heck I'm not the one that lives in the rich peoples neighborhood in a prime California touristy beach city :3barsgold: :coins: :tchest:

I think your just more frugal than I am, even if your sweeper business was raining money on you (isn't it?), you'd still be a penny pincher, I think it's in your DNA. Nothing wrong with that to a degree, my wife is my new Minister of Finance, so I too have had to learn to cut expenses (or just buy whatever I want and have it shipped to my office - lol). Perhaps the difference is that she doesn't have visibility into my books, and perhaps your Minister of Finance does. Until my wife works, my books are confidential :laughing7:

Last edited:

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Great find and very strange in deed.
Over here on the Balkans the holes on silver coins are close the top and they are used as dangling jewelry on headscarfs or lined-up on long chains.
These look like they have a nice "button-size", the one with the double holes enhance my button-theory I think...

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Great find and very strange in deed.
Over here on the Balkans the holes on silver coins are close the top and they are used as dangling jewelry on headscarfs or lined-up on long chains.
These look like they have a nice "button-size", the one with the double holes enhance my button-theory I think...

Thanks! Yeah the general consensus, especially given where they were found, is that they were used as Indian jewelry or something to that affect.

Mr. B

Mar 23, 2017
SW Fla.
Detector(s) used
2-Exal 2s Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget that pockets were really not in use then. S0 holes were made in the coins to carry on a string or piece of leather. When needed the string (necklace) was removed and a coin taken off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread