Epic Nickels

Hodr

Jun 18, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Eclipse 5.3 Coil
Headed out this morning with a friend to check out an area that looked as though it used to be a neighborhood that had been knocked down. After spending 2 to 3 pretty much wasted hours (tons of trash, and almost no targets), a local came by and told us that the area was a trailer park that had been razed in the 80s, and had only been there 15-20 years.

After that bust, my friend suggests we go to an "old" school nearby. I am not sure how old it was, but in the 4 or so hours we spent there we did find a lot of coins.

Here are my totals:
18 Pennies (2 wheat cents)
10 Dimes
5 Quarters
41 Nickels.
1 Kids gold plated ring.
1 Pendant (unknown variety).

Thats right, I found more nickels than all other coins combined. In fact, the first twenty one targets I dug at this school were all nickels, not one other coin, or piece of trash. That has to be some kind of record.

After the 21 in a row, I started finding the nickels about every other good target.

The only thing I can figure is someone has been working this school pretty regularly, and they don't dig the low targets (which would also explain why I found no silver of any kind, despite plenty of other coins dating back to the 50s).

NICKELS.jpg

Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a lot of nickles. At least you are building your clad total. :D

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great hunt. Nickels are rare to find...well not typical. But the old silver hides from everyone. I go months without finding any. Must be the first detectorists cleaned up on silver or it sinks fast...lol

I also have periods where I never see a nickel then...bang...nickels everyday.

SKD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread