Equinox 600 Depth Question

WisconsinPirate

Aug 2, 2017
Racine, Wi
Detector(s) used
EQ600; Makro MK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone else experienced different depth readings using Park 1 & Park 2 for the same coin?

In park 1 I hit a solid 25 and the depth reading came in at 4 bars. I read on another post to raise the coil to see if the signal goes away to check if is really deep, so I tried this. I still got a banging signal at about 4-6" off the ground. Switched to Park 2 and still got 25 on the VDI but the depth meter showed one bar. Dug it and it was about an inch in the ground just below the surface. I tried this on a couple other banging signals and same thing. Anyone else experienced this?

I am starting to wondering if Park 2 is more accurate, not only with depth, but also with the VDI. Anyone experience this with either the depth or VDI in the different modes?

hageneyr

Aug 25, 2017
Downingtown, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive had similar thoughts with my 800. And wanted to ask opinions as to best settings and mode for deep silver in a park setting. Ive been mostly going with Park 2 because i seem to hear a lot of people prefering that mode, but at times had an iffy signal with vdi 27-26-29 (dime?) just to dig and see that the dime is only 2 inches down. Surprised and didappointed in such an iffy signal on a shallow coin. I started to play around with other modes on a shallow dime and its clear there is a lot if variability on signals even with shallow coins.

All that being said...can anyone share opinion on best mode and settings to find deep silver(dimes) in a park setting...im not convinced park 2 is where its at.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard park 2 is the way to go. Numerous people I have talked to use that mode. Of course the silver has to be there in the first place. Try a test garden to know for sure.

hageneyr

Aug 25, 2017
Downingtown, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill also add that i see such variability in vdis on same targets as well. I might get a 26/27/28 and think dime and its a penny...then i get a 25/26 and its a dime. Ive had pennies ring up as a 20 or 25 or even a 30....not liking that one bit.

My AT Pro was rock solid and consistent with VDIs. 53 always a nickel...83 always a dime 86-90 always a quarter.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was with a buddy with his 800 over the weekend, seemed the meter was all over the place, but we were relic hunting, and not looking for coins. Coins are rare at this site.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ill also add that i see such variability in vdis on same targets as well. I might get a 26/27/28 and think dime and its a penny...then i get a 25/26 and its a dime. Ive had pennies ring up as a 20 or 25 or even a 30....not liking that one bit.

My AT Pro was rock solid and consistent with VDIs. 53 always a nickel...83 always a dime 86-90 always a quarter.

Depends on the penny... you have a copper penny, and then an early zinc, and a late zinc, and various amounts of corrosion. They all come up differently.

If they are on edge all bets are off. Quarters on edge will drive my equinox nuts. Coin spills can also be somewhat mind boggling even with as little as two coins.

Foil tops on the AT Pro sounded like huge gold rings. On the Equinox they come up low like 4 or 6, (which unfortunately also sounds like small platinum) so it's easier to pass on them in trashy areas filled with foil and not eliminate most gold rings which are in the 12-13 range.

There are places on my beach where foil tops, drink pouches, and tin foil, is just everywhere. Thanks to the snack bars. Discrimination is almost required if you want to cover any ground.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the max deepth can you hit on a US quarter on Park 2?

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can anyone share opinion on best mode and settings to find deep silver(dimes) in a park setting...im not convinced park 2 is where its at.

YMMV, but I prefer Field2 after much testing on targets in the wild. I took the often repeated "Park2 is the deepest" as fact until I started testing real targets myself. It probably varies from area to area. I've also found that Park1 and Field1 give me less accurate VID/tones at depth, but still give me great depth. My go-to settings to get deep silver dimes would be Field2, minimum 22 sens, 0 to 2 bias (depending on iron), and max recovery speed of 3 or 4. You gotta test various configurations on targets in the wild to see what gets you depth in your area, but that's what I go with and I've been pulling deep small silver almost every hunt.

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can you tell a Zinc penny from a copper penny on the AT PRO? The Nox is 20/21 for a zinc and 25-27 for a copper penny (which you are correct is the same as a clad/silver dime)
I personally like this as I skip the zinc pennies at the park. At an old site I digging everything because I tested the VDI on a number of coins 1/2 dime, Large Cent, etc. and it's just safer in my opinion to dig anything >18.

hageneyr

Aug 25, 2017
Downingtown, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can absolutely distinguish between zinc and copper with ATP...i could also tell if the zinc was corroded both by sound and vdi. The vdis are much more consistent and accurate with ATP vs Nox.

After using my nox quite a bit There are certain things i miss about my ATP.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the max deepth can you hit on a US quarter on Park 2?

Too many variables to accurately answer that question...which, by the way, the most common question asked about metal detectors, and cannot be answered objectively.
Depends on soil conditions, mineralization, age, sensitivity settings, ground balance, and more.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can absolutely distinguish between zinc and copper with ATP...i could also tell if the zinc was corroded both by sound and vdi. The vdis are much more consistent and accurate with ATP vs Nox.

After using my nox quite a bit There are certain things i miss about my ATP.

You might try doing some testing in single frequency mode to compare to the ATP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread