saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

In the past, I would do some geocaching. Mainly, it was a reason to ride my bicycle as it gave me a destination for which to ride.

Now that I have a Nox800, last night I was wondering if anyone ever combined the two things.

I looked on line and it seems there are some people doing this combination.

Is there anyone here doing this and if so, can you tell me about it? I have never seen on the geocaching sites anything about sites for metal detecting.

Thanks

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a geocache with a metal detector. It was a plastic container with some metal toy junk inside of it. It was shoved into a hole at the bottom of a tree stump. I have to be honest though, I think of them as geotrash. YMMV.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a geocache with a metal detector. It was a plastic container with some metal toy junk inside of it. It was shoved into a hole at the bottom of a tree stump. I have to be honest though, I think of them as geotrash. YMMV.

Agree, most of the time they are trash. But I do not do it for the prize. It is the hunt.
For kids, geocahcing is like a treasure hunt. They are excited to find one.

I was just interested if there is a way to get some of the kids I know to jump from just geocaching to using a metal detector as well.

Scouts sometimes do geocaching on their hikes, etc. too.

Thanks

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just go old school and use the gps and my eyes. At most, I might consider bringing a pinpointer along. Not interested in lugging my full up detector to some of these locations. It's a pain, draws undue attention, and in many cases use of the detector is simply not allowed at wherever the cache is located due to state or local ordinances prohibiting detecting at certain public places like parks and ballfields. Certainly a no no in Federal parks.

Last edited:

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some geocaches that take you to some very cool locations in my area. Some people think that hiding an altoids box under a lamp post cover in the Walmart parking lot is cool...those are the ones that are trash IMHO.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve used GeoCache descriptions as basis for metal detecting hunts. “At the base of the large tree that once was an old farm house”. “Follow the old Carriage path up the hill”. One GeoCache referenced “Lone chimney at the top of a ravine”. I ended up digging my first Seated Dime there and my only Seated Quarter. They should all be in public land so that helps as well.

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All EXCELLENT points.

I just could not sleep last night and started thinking about this.

I figured some of you must know about this topic.

...and as CoinHunterAZ said, some of the geocaches are in great places while others are "trash"

...and VFerrari, I agree that I tend to use my eyes. However, I was wondering if anyone has taken the extra steps and buried metal caches for which you would have to use a detector.

Thanks everyone. Just another crazy thought

OP
OP
saanich2018

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know most people will probably keep where they hunt private or confidential.

However, is there any place or site where people do list where they hunt and maybe even post the location with a GPS?

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting to find that there are some other geocachers here! I cached for about 10 years, starting in 2005. While I didn't start metal detecting until recently, I did once buy one of those little handheld detectors from Harbor Freight to help me find a Bison tube that was hidden in the bark of a huge cottonwood tree. (it didn't help... sigh). I also knew someone that brought one along once to help try to find a nasty 5/5 that turned out to be a bottle cap glued to the end of a plastic preform that was stuck into the earth (note, I'm not saying "buried") along a bike path.

I also found one once without my metal detector just outside the building where my local metal detecting club meets. But aside from those things, I don't really see any overlap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread